Author Topic: Car Rental with Paper Driving License  (Read 573 times)

Offline Andy

Car Rental with Paper Driving License
« on: August 25, 2021, 10:41. »
When collecting a car rental from ALC can anyone tell me if the old style paper driving license is still acceptable?
Or is a 'credit card' Driving License required?
Also is an International Driving Permit required?

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 19:24. by Andy »

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 12:49. »
They told me at centauro desk if it’s a paper DL you need an international driving permit be careful which one you get there is a different one for Spain , if you have a photo DL you don’t need it .

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 14:34. »
Don't think you need an international driving permit, didn't need one when I hired from Firefly at Alicante three weeks ago but I think you need the plastic card license.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 13:45. »
I got an IDP for Spain several months ago, it’s only a fiver from the post office. The rules regarding the necessity are vague with a lot of should and might incorporated into the rules. What matters to me is the reality when stood at ALC and they say no permit no car, or worse when stopped at a Guardia Civil checkpoint, best of luck arguing that one. So do you need one, probably not, would I get one definitely.

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 15:05. »
I rented a car for he first time in ages in June - I have an IDP but had it thrown back at me but I have the "credit card" licence. As Wilson says if you only have the paper licence then for a fiver (I think £5.50 but I've had it 10 months) I would definitely have one.
Go on PO website for list of documents to produce when applying; I think it's passport and two photographs.