Author Topic: Winter in Gran Alacant  (Read 4673 times)

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2021, 19:12. »
What lefty nonsense.

They are trying to save our lives and get the economy back on track.

Derek

Lefty 😂😂

You couldn’t be any wider of the mark.

It’s common sense ( and good fiscal policy ) that the more people that take U.K. holidays the more money that stays in the U.K. pot.

They may not actively instal policy to that end, but you can bet your life that they’ll be in no hurry to reverse policy that inadvertently aids it.

Problem is all UK hotels etc particularly in areas like Cornwall, lakes etc will raise prices considerably as demand will exceed supply. Greece, Spain, Denmark are all looking to accept tourists who have been vaccinated so that’s the over 50s sorted plus younger kids

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2021, 19:53. »
Not sure I would risk booking anything in the UK at the moment, many hoteliers etc requiring hefty deposit or some full payment, the risk being a 30 day cancellation required prior to arrival to get any monies back. With the current shower in office I wouldn’t risk 30 minutes let alone 30 days. Boris still owes me £400 from last year when he said Spain was “safe” to travel to 24 hours before our flight which meant no refund or chance of insurance claim, several weeks later he shut the door again.

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2021, 20:07. »
Not sure I would risk booking anything in the UK at the moment, many hoteliers etc requiring hefty deposit or some full payment, the risk being a 30 day cancellation required prior to arrival to get any monies back. With the current shower in office I wouldn’t risk 30 minutes let alone 30 days. Boris still owes me £400 from last year when he said Spain was “safe” to travel to 24 hours before our flight which meant no refund or chance of insurance claim, several weeks later he shut the door again.

Hi Wilson
This does not make sense (might be me). If you were told your flight was OK (safe) before travel why does Boris owe you the cost. Surely you were OK to fly.

Derek

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2021, 20:50. »
Sorry I don’t get either Wilson if you flight was ok to go surely you use it . If it was cancelled by airline or by gov policy you get a refund . How can that cost you £400

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2021, 23:00. »
Sorry I don’t get either Wilson if you flight was ok to go surely you use it . If it was cancelled by airline or by gov policy you get a refund . How can that cost you £400
It was a Ryanair flight which as you may recall last summer they still flew even with few passengers on board, the FCO advice was that Spain was high risk so travel not advised, this meant my insurance would pay out, then for no scientific based or logical  reason with hours to go before departure our leader says all is now safe in Spain, which we all knew was a load of tosh written on a fag packet over breakfast which then cost me £400 because we didn’t fly as nothing had actually changed regarding risk. Whether you agree or not I’m sure both history and the inquiry will show that decision was wrong and made purely for political reasons.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 08:01. by wilson »

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2021, 09:24. »
Now I understand. The flight was operating and there were no restrictions in force at the time of departure and that you, for your own safety reasons, took the decision not to fly. I can completely see that this is the fault of those in power and that the forthcoming inquiry will find that the Government owe you the cost of the flight that you decided not to go on.

Ryanair did allow passengers to move their flights if they wished. I hope the Government are not held to account for not arranging this transfer.

Derek

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2021, 10:52. »
I finally got my refund off Ryanair. Apart from using me as a bank for a couple of months I've never had any problems with flight changes or refunds. Occasionally it's been cheaper to scrap a flight rather than pay to move it in the past but that's always been my decision not theirs.
I can't see Derek being on Wilson's Christmas card list next December.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2021, 11:13. »
Now I understand. The flight was operating and there were no restrictions in force at the time of departure and that you, for your own safety reasons, took the decision not to fly. I can completely see that this is the fault of those in power and that the forthcoming inquiry will find that the Government owe you the cost of the flight that you decided not to go on.

Ryanair did allow passengers to move their flights if they wished. I hope the Government are not held to account for not arranging this transfer.

Derek
I didn’t say I was holding the government to account just the buffoon that currently leads it. It’s like the current red list regarding countries that pose a significant risk it makes absolutely no logical sense. I sometimes wonder if he will pop out of his podium one day shouting April fool, unless you really can convince me that the last 12 months have all been a cunning plan Baldrick.
B&W I never take it personally it’s a forum if you can’t take it don’t give it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 11:17. by wilson »

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2021, 11:26. »
Wilson

I don't think a political rant is allowed.

It is funny when I do something right, which is not that often, the credit I take but whenever I get it wrong, which is often, it is always someone else's fault.

I used to, like many others, blame the EU for most things that in hindsight did not go correctly and I am at a complete loss now as it looks like I might one day have to accept that my actions are my own responsibility.

Derek

Offline Pewster

Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2021, 14:49. »
Meanwhile, back to the original subject, if normal service ever does resume and there are any businesses left that survive it. Gran Alacant is a wonderful place to spend winter with plenty of things open and things to do.

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2021, 15:31. »
So Wilson it was your decision not to fly when restrictions were lifted then , so I’m struggling to see that as The fault of Boris .
You had a decision to make you made it fair enough but you decided not Boris not to fly .

Simple it’s your fault

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2021, 16:04. »
Meanwhile, back to the original subject, if normal service ever does resume and there are any businesses left that survive it. Gran Alacant is a wonderful place to spend winter with plenty of things open and things to do.
Economics  show that when times are tough the weakest exit and when times are good new entrants appear. Therefore yes a lot badly run tourist businesses will go with the better ones hanging on who will do well when it opens up again. Consequently there will be a quite a few cheap businesses to be had and once sold to people that again have little idea but a desire for an easy life in the sun as an alternative to a real job it will all be back to normal. My advice is hang on in there and life will return to normal.

Derek
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 09:31. by Derek »

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2021, 22:57. »
So Wilson it was your decision not to fly when restrictions were lifted then , so I’m struggling to see that as The fault of Boris .
You had a decision to make you made it fair enough but you decided not Boris not to fly .

Simple it’s your fault
That sounds quite logical!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 23:16. by wilson »

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2021, 10:38. »
Spot on Derek.

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2021, 13:37. »

Yes Pewster indeed it is, yesterday it was 25 degrees and while it isn't always quite that warm here at this time of year , it ain't bad is it.  I find that where I am theres a lovely community spirit.  Good luck, and if you haven't already seen the youtube video  Gran Alacant Tourist train 2016, take a look as it gives you a decent circular look around the urb areas