Author Topic: Winter in Gran Alacant  (Read 4674 times)

Offline Peter D

Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 13:04. »
From what Hancock had to say yesterday,even though inoculations are better than anticipated,it's doubtful if we in the U.K. Will get over to GA ,without isolating,until much later thiis Year if at all.

Offline Pewster

Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 13:55. »
The U.K. government will probably do everything it can in terms of flight restrictions and quarantines to discourage its citizens from holidaying abroad this year.

U.K. holidays create U.K. profits and U.K. taxation.

They need to recoup some of the borrowing in any way they can !
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 16:38. by Pewster »

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 14:29. »
What lefty nonsense.

They are trying to save our lives and get the economy back on track.

Derek

Offline Pewster

Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 14:52. »
What lefty nonsense.

They are trying to save our lives and get the economy back on track.

Derek

Lefty 😂😂

You couldn’t be any wider of the mark.

It’s common sense ( and good fiscal policy ) that the more people that take U.K. holidays the more money that stays in the U.K. pot.

They may not actively instal policy to that end, but you can bet your life that they’ll be in no hurry to reverse policy that inadvertently aids it.

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2021, 15:43. »
Hardly common sense.

Invent some  virus variants and close the borders to increase the sales at Butlins! It is a good job I lack any "common" sense then or own a red coat.

Derek

Offline Pewster

Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2021, 16:19. »
Hardly common sense.

Invent some  virus variants and close the borders to increase the sales at Butlins! It is a good job I lack any "common" sense then or own a red coat.

Derek

Do not try to invent words and statements , you’re the one suggesting inventing viruses and closing borders is common sense.

What I stated as common sense is that the more people that holiday in the U.K. as opposed to abroad, the more of their money that stays in the U.K. Don’t really see how you can say that is anything other than obvious and common sense.

There are ample forums available on the internet for political discussion without having to turn a conversation into ‘Lefty’ or not as you appear to wish to label.

My original post had no political orientation other than to state that in my opinion, the U.K. government  will do very little to encourage foreign holidays this year ( and most cabinet statements back that ) because people spending their money on anything in the U.K. helps to rebuild the U.K. economy quicker and helps to ease the burden upon the massive debts accrued.

Offline NickiH

• Supreme Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2021, 16:35. »
The economy will be open enough by the Summer to travel or there won’t be any airlines. There is no way that countries won’t open up their borders to allow travel by then.  By the summer all adults in the UK will be vaccinated if they want one. Coupled with the warmer weather and the virus diminishing can’t see there will be a problem. Home owners need to get to their properties. Leaving them unoccupied for a year or 18 months is bad enough. We won’t be able to access our property soon as the garden will have taken over. Just hope Spain crack on with their vaccinations that will be the only sticking point. They are way behind all of Europe

Offline Pewster

Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2021, 16:42. »
We won’t be able to access our property soon as the garden will have taken over.

I’ll pop around with the hedge cutters for a small alcoholic payment 😉 that’s if the bars ever reopen !

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2021, 17:50. »
I'm sticking by my earlier prediction that Mrs H and I will be lucky to be packing our suitcases by October, there's two key factors, will other countries allow visitors, assuming that we are allowed to travel,  and the understanding of new strains of the virus and how they effect those already immunised....we still have a lot to learn about this virus.

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2021, 19:47. »
I see that the Valencia region has just extended the restriction until the 1 st March.

It is not that often I agree with John (joking) but I also think October at the earliest.

Derek

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2021, 21:10. »
Interesting discussion on talk radio this week regarding personal finances, whilst many have lost everything, some have made money, there are many millions who have more money now than this time last year. Using myself as a bad example ,in a normal year 6 holidays of more than a week, 4 weekend breaks, numerous sports fixtures attended, Mrs Wilson and kids at least 4 theatres and shows attended, plus dozens of meals out. Hopefully the biscuit tin under the bed reflects this lean year.
The discussion was ,would all this money be spent once good times return and the overwhelming response was no, people would be prudent and sit on 2020s money. So if Rishi is expecting a bounce he might be disappointed.

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2021, 08:29. »
Interesting theme. Most years I manage to salt away a few bob. Consulting the back of my financial fag packet, this past year has been no different but the figure has been about the same as usual. The only major financial project has been changing the motorhome but I have adjusted for this. No flights anywhere or cruises. Notwithstanding the lockdown periods, we managed six weeks worth of trips in the motorhomes but they are 'low cost' needing only a bit of fuel and some pitch fees. So I wonder if people will have saved that significant an amount. I suppose it depends on how extravagantly they have spent on holidays in the past.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2021, 09:28. »
I booked flights for October, might be £150 down the drain though. The government makes too much money out of air aviation tax to want to keep us in the UK, I hear conspiracy theories that powers to be want to keep us at home, the money men want a mobile population getting out and spending money, buying beer in pubs , same with cars, houses, and leisure, the last thing they want is us sitting at home.

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2021, 09:50. »
I booked flights for October, might be £150 down the drain though. The government makes too much money out of air aviation tax to want to keep us in the UK, I hear conspiracy theories that powers to be want to keep us at home, the money men want a mobile population getting out and spending money, buying beer in pubs , same with cars, houses, and leisure, the last thing they want is us sitting at home.

Exactly pure logic.

Derek

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2021, 17:42. »
Well we've missed out on a month in the Caribbean, the fiords last November with Hurtigruten and probably half a dozen trips to Spain since lock down started. My bank balance may be richer but my mental state definitely isn't.