Author Topic: Winter in Gran Alacant  (Read 4672 times)

Offline Stepe

Winter in Gran Alacant
« on: February 03, 2021, 23:26. »
Hi all.  New member here.  Hope everyone is keeping well in these crazy times. 

My reason for posting is that I’m thinking of purchasing an apartment in the Gran Alacant area. I want somewhere for long weekends etc and I’m curious about bars and restaurants during the winter months.  Not looking for anything like Benidorm of course but are there a few open for a morning coffee and a beer in the evening?  There seems to be a cluster of bars around Molly’s, according to google earth.

Also is it viable to walk to Arenals from novamar or monte y mar.

Any thoughts really appreciated

Steve

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 09:24. »
I remember meeting a member of the Ramblers Association once who wore a T shirt with the logo "Everywhere is within walking distance with enough time". GA is fairly extensive. Arenales is a reasonable stroll from the bottom end but would seem a bit tedious IMHO if walking from the top part. From the school opposite Novamar, it's 2.5Km to the centre of Arenales. Days can be bright and mild but the nights are cold in GA in the winter. I sold my place a few years back now and I've no idea what the bars/restaurants are like under the current situation.

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 12:00. »
We’re normally out over winter but haven’t this year due to obvious reasons. Plenty of the bars/restaurants are open all year around particularly around Molly Malone’s area, GA centre and other areas. Several close for January after busy Xmas period.

We often walk to Arenales in daytime from Novamar area, it’s about 30 minutes walk. and several cafes etc open but evenings in winter in Arenales is dead.
  As others have said lovely in the day , it’s been in high 20s Celsius last weeks but cold at nights

Offline Pewster

Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 12:20. »
Generally, whichever part of Gran Alacant you’re in there will be the odd bar or two open during the winter months.
Up the top there’s Tommy’s and the bars around by La Piedra.
A little further down you have a couple by Suena Azul and those around Sierra Marr.
At the bottom you have a few down the Carabassi strip.
In the middle as such, you have those at Massa Square and the GA centre.

Pretty much any of those four groups will have something open ( in normal times ) and any are within a 15 minute walk of the next group. However, the degree of uphill will vary greatly.

In general, there’s far more open in GA during the normal winter than there is in Arenals..
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 16:24. by Pewster »

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 16:34. »
We normally go out to our house in GA in January , and have a great time, have managed to get a sunburnt nose having fallen asleep in the sun, we've always found bars and restaurants open although it's anyone's guess what the situation is going to be like now and in the coming months.

Offline Peter D

Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 17:33. »
We normally go after February half term.Weather is generally very good ,lots of bars and most restaurants open.That was the last time we were there not sure when we will be allowed in again possibly  May

Offline Stepe

Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 22:34. »
Hi

Thank you to all of you for your comments. Really getting itchy feet to visit after restrictions are lifted.

It sounds like a nice area and close to everything you could need and close to the airport too.

Im a bit nervous about the procedure for buying but after lots of research I think I know the ins out outs, especially getting a good solicitor! 

I haven’t got the NIE number yet but can’t decide if I should wait until I visit or pay online for the service at around 200 euros. 

Anyway, thank you all for the insights

Steve

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 08:34. »
Our solicitor arranged the NIE number as part of the house purchase.

Offline Keith and Jen

Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 09:26. »
If you intend to stay in the winter, buy somewhere that is south facing.  It can get jolly cold with an icy wind at times.

Visit in the winter before you buy and have a good look around.  Don't be in a great hurry to buy.  Rent somewhere for a week or two first and see which area suits you best.

Get the book "You and the Law in Spain" by David Searl.  We saved lots of money by following the information and advice.

Keith
Experience is what you get just after you need it.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 11:17. »
Sound advice from Keith and Jen.

We had a south facing house on Novamar, we coud sit out most days in the winter for a few hours in shorts and tshirts whilst those in northern facing houses were clad in full winter wear!! Our house was also so much brighter and warmer. We actually sold it to a couple who were fed us with seeing us and our friends sat in our garden enjoying the winter sunshine whilst they were sat in the shade in their garden with several layers of clothing on.

Take a look at the bars in winter with south facing outdoor seating areas, they'll have the customers in whilst the north facing ones by and large will be deserted.

We never rented ours out in 16 years of ownership, but if you are considering a rental income being south facing is a big bonus in attracting rental income in the winter months.

Keith & Jen are also bang on with their comment about renting first before commiting to buy, in hindsight, which is a lovely thing, we really enjoyed our time in GA, mainly because of the brilliant friends we made, but had we realised how long and cold the winter nights can be we would have bought a place in Tenerife.....the extra flight time and cost wouldnt have been important to us as we tended to visit around four times a year for four to six weeks a visit...obviously for shorter "week end" type visits it is important.

Finally another agreement with Keith and Jen, the bars and full of folk offering advice about the law in Spain and what you can and cant do, a lot of which is sound advice but a lot of which is absolute rubbish and will get you in trouble. David Searls book is a must have, it gets updated every year and is an invaluable reference as is good legal advice if and when you decide to invest your hard earned in a property.

Regards all

John

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Stepe

Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 15:43. »
Wow!

More really great advice thank you..

I’ll get the book ordered.

Thank you so much again

Steve

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 08:00. »
Another useful book for background guidance is "Buying a home in Spain" by David Hampshire published by the somewhat dramatic 'Survivalbooks.net'

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 18:47. »
Good advice already given, always do your own thorough research, many people you encounter in GA will give you advice but always take it with a big pinch of salt until you can verify it’s accuracy. Recommendations of tradespeople is a big no no, always steer clear of I know someone he’s really good. Even on forums you get people who plug they’re mates but usually a theme appears.You can do a lot yourself with most processes similar to the UK. Being a lawyer or notary in Spain is a license to print money. Some people pay others to do everything but hindsight is wonderful when you realise the ease somethings can be done.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 10:39. »
Stepe, if you are on Facebook take a look at this group, some great information on the area.
someone has just asked a question about buying in the area, some responses that you might find useful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/580648528696897/

Regards all

John
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 10:41. by John H »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Stepe

Winter in Gran Alacant
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 12:24. »
Hi again

Thank you for the continued comments.

I have ordered the books and joined the Facebook group.

As soon as I can I will be out there to check things out.

Thanks again everybody.

Steve