Author Topic: Another possible bank rip off  (Read 7719 times)

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Another possible bank rip off
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2021, 16:28. »
One of the major issues with Spanish banks, insurance and utilities is the total lack of competition, there are now just a handful of banks left with most overseas banks having pulled out there operations. There are only 2 or 3 insurers, 1 water company and 1 electricity operator, so why would customer satisfaction be a priority. Then if you have the will to change something you are met with layers of bureaucracy solely intended to bog you down.

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2021, 16:48. »
One of the major issues with Spanish banks, insurance and utilities is the total lack of competition, there are now just a handful of banks left with most overseas banks having pulled out there operations. There are only 2 or 3 insurers, 1 water company and 1 electricity operator, so why would customer satisfaction be a priority. Then if you have the will to change something you are met with layers of bureaucracy solely intended to bog you down.

Yes Maggie Thatcher introduced privatisation and competition and had this not be done we also would only have one Telephone provider, Train Company, Electricity Company, Gas Company and so on.

Some would like to return to the old days but they have a shorter memory that I do for sure!

Tongue in cheek comment.

Derek

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2021, 21:25. »
Hi Derek, re your earlier message about not needing a Spanish mobile to open the BBVA online free account.

I have tried it and now (obviously not when you did it) a Spanish mobile number is essential; you cannot get past the page where it is requested without one - if you put in a UK mobile it doesn't accept the format as there are too many numbers. I'm not the most technologically minded and there is a help function that's not a lot of help, but without a Spanish mobile you can't proceed. Also you can't use the same number for the second account holder if it's joint.

Hi B&W, I sold you a bum steer with the cost of the Spanish PAYGO sim; it's €3 / month not €10. The €10 came from my habit of crediting it with €10 every three months, this then counts down at €3 / month. As you pointed out spending €240 / year (two phones) to save €160 isn't good economics. 

Dave

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2021, 21:34. »
Dave, The guy in the BBVA branch in GA set mine up for me. Just go in and ask him for a free online bank account. He sits to the right and is the assistant manager there.

We get on well as he also rides a motorbike (Harley Davidson). A job for when your next in Spain. I loaded the BBVA app myself more recently and it works fine on my UK mobile.

Derek

Offline ian-steele

• Supreme Member
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2021, 11:38. »
i do internet banking with banco sabell, i only have a £9.99 basic phone for calls and text only. (asda Mobile)  When i do a transaction on line i get a text from Sabell with code No continue the transaction.  Am i missing something with previous threads ?
people who live in glass houses should undress in the dark !

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2021, 12:02. »
i do internet banking with banco sabell, i only have a £9.99 basic phone for calls and text only. (asda Mobile)  When i do a transaction on line i get a text from Sabell with code No continue the transaction.  Am i missing something with previous threads ?

Morning Ian, the code that Sabadell send is the security code that you need to enter on the page you were on when attempting the transaction on the app.
I find it a bit awkward trying to do it on one device so I do the transaction on the Sabadell website on my tablet / laptop and get the code off the Sabadell app on my phone and then continue where I left off on the main device. Also you don't enter the code - a little keyboard pops up and you have to click each of the four digits of the code separately.
Hope this helps and that I understood your query correctly.

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2021, 12:37. »
Ian

You are paying too much. Look at Plusnet. Mobile phone sim card includes all minutes and all text plus internet at £6.00 per month.

Derek

https://www.plus.net/mobile/sim-only-30-day
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 12:39. by Derek »

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2021, 13:12. »
Dave, The guy in the BBVA branch in GA set mine up for me. Just go in and ask him for a free online bank account. He sits to the right and is the assistant manager there.

We get on well as he also rides a motorbike (Harley Davidson). A job for when your next in Spain. I loaded the BBVA app myself more recently and it works fine on my UK mobile.

Derek

Afternoon Derek,

I thought I had seen this somewhere and have just checked - the Fee Free BBVA account can only be opened online; or at least that what it says on the application so that's what I was going off. Although I'll probably do it online I'd like to think that they wouldn't turn me down if I go to the bank,

Offline ian-steele

• Supreme Member
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2021, 17:10. »
Derek, maybe at cross purposes, I have an android tablet for internet banking, no fees payable just use a WiFi.
people who live in glass houses should undress in the dark !

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2021, 11:59. »
Derek, maybe at cross purposes, I have an android tablet for internet banking, no fees payable just use a WiFi.

Hi Ian

I was just making the point that if your change you sim card to one provided by plus net you could save £47.88 a year and receive the same service.

Like with most things it pays to shop around.

Derek

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2021, 17:07. »
A guy from Germany who has rented my place before wanted to transfer the deposit for a stay at the end of the year.  He usually pays into Sabadell but as I’m trying to close that account at some point I sent him my Wise details.  I have to say it was a performance!!  Took over a week with them asking me ridiculous questions like his date of birth and full name (the name they already had but I told twice again anyway). I basically told them as it was pending to give it back to him and he could pay it in Sabadell and that I wasnt happy with their service and 10 minutes later it was in my Wise account.  A bit worrying if I want my electric and water bills paid. 
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Blades

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2021, 21:14. »
Hi

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked....

I have followed this thread with interest since January, when I too was stung with an 18 Euros charge for transferring money to Deutsche bank.
I have been with them for a couple of years, and since 2005 with Sabadel.
Bank charges were the reason for moving to Deutsche, and they have now increased their charges, as well as now charging to transfer money in.

Upon advice received here I have now made transfers with Moneywise (or Wise as they are now called) and have been happy so far.

I am considering moving wholly over to them.

A concern I have though is a charge that I get every 2 years for 'Peticion Certif no residencia'

Does anyone know what the purpose of this is, and whether you need one if you don't have a Spanish bank account.

Also, general up to date thoughts on doing this??

Thanks in advance

Phil