Author Topic: lets have some good news please  (Read 8412 times)

Offline ian-steele

• Supreme Member
lets have some good news please
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2021, 10:26. »
good news zest has reopened, sadly NINA'S bar is up for sale, shud attract a new buyer as it the best set up in our square, all new fittings, toilet etc.
people who live in glass houses should undress in the dark !

Offline Ron l

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2021, 13:28. »
Hi Ian-steel, which is, were is NINA,S bar please

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2021, 18:15. »
Nina’s bar in in Sierra mar square used to be the Internet cafe

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2021, 11:01. »
I spent many a happy evening sat in the Internet cafe trying to print boarding cards, the guy used to charge you for the minutes you were online. Amazing how everything has moved on in such a short time.

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2021, 12:44. »
Yep I remember those happy days printing boarding cards and using the phone booths for cheap calls home . No just a few years later we have apps for boarding cards and free video calls . Kinda killed off the Internet cafes in a very short time

Offline masmu

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2021, 15:13. »
There was also an internet place downstairs at the Carabassi.  I remember going down there and putting €1 in the slot to get 20 minutes internet access. They had phone booths inside as well. There was also a telephone on the corner diagonally opposite what is now Molly Malones.

I also remember when we used to go on holiday in the 80's to Spain or Greece and there was always hope that new arrivals at the hotel, flying in from the UK, would bring with them newspapers they'd bought at their departure airport, to read on the flight, so we could catch up on what was happening in the world. Oh how times have changed.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2021, 15:27. »
I sometimes long for the days when we would go abroad for two weeks and the UK could have been wiped out and we wouldn't know anything, ignorance is bliss. The smartphone is a blessing and a damned nuisance. Two years ago holidaying in GA we had " worry of the day" First was son, catalytic converter has fallen off of my car " Next day my wife got a message " mum has been taken to hospital with infection" Two days later" dad has had a bad fall in the garden" and lastly blubbering phone call from wife's sister " had the dog put down". What a nice relaxing break it was.

Offline masmu

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2021, 16:12. »
I know exactly what you mean Kevin.  You are never out of reach and get bombarded with problems that you can do absolutely nothing about - other than worry.

At least in the 'olden' days, when you were fast feeding the pesetas/drachma down the slot in a 'Happy Birthday' call to someone in the family, you could say 'Have to go, money running out' before they got a chance to offload.  Ignorance was bliss.

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2021, 16:31. »
When we used to go to the South of France to camp in the 70s we had to wait until 5pm to buy an English paper from the camp shop and even then it was the previous day's. The only radio you could pick up that far south was Radio Luxembourg. We used to go a whole month without hearing any English news. Heaven.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2021, 18:12. »
Gentlemen, I long for those days, good luck.

Offline Ron l

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2021, 21:02. »
Thanks Ian-steel remember it well now you have said was Internet cafe, always used it for calls back to England in them small booths

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2021, 07:21. »
UK papers are still about £3 when they are 50p at home. They are still carrying advertising, are printed locally so why the big markup. I won't buy them on principle.

Offline ian-steele

• Supreme Member
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2021, 11:13. »
tony best to read the euro news free every thurs from quick save or maxcoop
people who live in glass houses should undress in the dark !

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2021, 13:38. »
These days you can access most Brit dailies online from Spain, I try not to look though.