Author Topic: free vpn  (Read 1037 times)

Offline martyn gorfin

free vpn
« on: January 08, 2021, 17:18. »
Does anyone know of a free vpn most of the ones ive downloade charge

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
free vpn
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 17:45. »
You get a free one with one of the Norton packages and some other anti-virus packages but some won't work with Iplayer, others slow you down etc. If you want a good one I think you'll probably have to pay for it.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
free vpn
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 04:45. »
Be very wary of free VPN software, don't know whether you can download it in Spain but I buy Norton 360 from Argos very cheap, I switch off automatic renewal once it's installed and just buy again the following year through Argos again.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
free vpn
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 07:45. »
Free VPN services may cost nothing but there is usually a good reason for that - it means the provider will be turning a profit in some other way, usually with invasive advertising or by selling your browsing data to third-parties (rather defeating the whole drive for privacy in the first place).

Plus, free services tend to limit the amount of data you can use and the speed you can use it at, rendering them useless for streaming video, torrenting or as an extra layer of reliable security in your day-to-day online life.

A good stand alone VPN provider can be found for as little as £30 a year, or as Kevin points out you can get one attached with some Internet Security providers.

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Keith and Jen

free vpn
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 09:09. »
If you have a spare Raspberry pi it is very easy to set up your own VPN using Wireguard.  You will need a static IP address.

What's more - it's free.

Keith

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 09:11. by Keith and Jen »
Experience is what you get just after you need it.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
free vpn
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 15:35. »
I've found trying to send emails is a problem if I have VPN switched on, I find my email authentication fails this seems to be because your email provider sees email and authentication from VPN servers as a problem, likely many users using the same IP address from the server , many users coming from the same IP addresses and blocks the requests. I've tried watching BBC iPlayer from Spain with and without VPN and I'm blocked, the iPlayer servers see requesting IP addresses are from Spain and block traffic and they also seem to block known VPN server IP addresses as well

Offline Paublo

free vpn
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 20:11. »
Express vpn do a 30 day free trial. They are doing some good yearly deals. Worth considering. Just a note all vpns tend to slow down your Internet

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
free vpn
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 21:59. »
I've actually found that some websites I access are faster using my Norton VPN than just a normal connection.