Author Topic: Travel Insurance or Lack of  (Read 1185 times)

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Travel Insurance or Lack of
« on: December 19, 2020, 09:30. »

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 12:20. »
Very interesting. I think we'll all have to review our travel insurance after 1st Jan. Mine didn't cover covid but did cover travelling against government advice which was important to me at the time.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 13:15. »
I don't know if it's just me but any insurance claim I have made in recent years has been an ordeal, when I made a claim against Saga on one of my houses that was damaged by a tenant and asked what we were covered for the person said we can't tell you, you will have to read the policy and decide what you can claim for, no loss adjuster offered and zero help. I don't have much faith in insurance anymore.

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 13:40. »
Welcome back Kev,

My Nationwide Insurance does cover me for Covid and all travel except against FO advice so was very good. Due for renewal early Feb and in this article Nationwide say they are phasing cover out from Jan.

Hopefully if the vaccine gets going it may be something we don't desperately need anyway - just a thought does insurance cover you for flu? I would have thought so and if so where do the Insurance companies start drawing the line.

Offline masmu

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 13:58. »
Unfortunately the problem with choosing an insurer is that you don't know how good or bad they are until you have to make a claim.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 15:00. »
Yes, the vaccine is what we need desperately, been lucky here in Suffolk still in Tier 2. So true the words about how you only find out how good or bad an insurance company is when you make a claim. Avoid Hastings Direct, our neighbor reversed into her thirty foot wide drive and squarely hit out brick pillar and the fence behind it, Hastings don't answer the  phone or emails however attack them on Face Book and they pop up instantly, got a derisory settlement from them for the damage. I still run for my life if I see our neighbor reversing.

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 16:31. »
My only spanish experience was with Mapfre who were excellent and paid in full when our house was flooded.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 18:13. »
Recently renewed spanish house insurance with liberty seguros via linda rowland who has handled policy for many years. I asked about property being left unoccupied for longer periods than policy allows. Responce was in the event of a claim then liberty would look favourably on the claim considering the pandemic etc. Not really a clear answer.
On travel insurance weve had an annual policy with churchill for many years, trying to claim for a couple of flights where no refund or voucher available, insurer insists you flog every dead horse with airline, then chargeback etc, only when youve spent months doing this will they consider a claim. I think they are all playing for time or just trying to wear people down so they give up.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 18:19. by wilson »

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 23:30. »
We have annual travel insurance via NatWest bank account which covers all COVID related claims but not if you travel against FCO advice which is basically anywhere at present!
 We were hoping to come March but easyJet keep changing or cancelling flights so seems unlikely at present