Author Topic: Banks  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Mallard

Banks
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 21:30. »
I’ve been hesitant to post before in case I encountered problems bu5 so far so good.
At the beginning of the year opened an account with online bank Starling and you can also have a Euro account with them.
I’d been with Sabadell almost 20 years but thoroughly fed up with the changes just for paying the regular bills. I gave them back the cash card as yet another charge.
Armed with my Starling card and account details when I was last over in January I did the rounds to get my payments changed to the new account. I had to overcome the difficulty of the fact that although our property is in joint names the bank account had only ever been in my sole name. Electricity and water tried to say it couldn’t be done but in the end after pointing out that I had been paying the bills they agreed. Community office said the system would not accept the new bank details but in the end it did.  Suma office needed proof of joint ownership which I obtained from yet another office for the sum of 3 euros. Basura had to be done in the Ayuntamiento .
So far the electricity, water, community charge and more recently by emailing them the property insurance has been paid from my Starling Euro account. The Suma I think is September so we shall see.
Only remains the end of year tax and gestorria charges, I shall be emailing them shortly.
It took a visit of well over an hour to close my Sabadell account inGA and be paid out the 100 odd euros.
Would also say you can instantly transfer from the sterling to Euro account and the rate has always been very good compared to other means.
It was an interesting and challenging task but so far I am very glad that I persevered.

Offline diggybabe

Banks
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 23:22. »
I also have opened a Starling account and it is so much better than the Sabadell which had cost a fortune in comparison. Makes you wonder how they still justify the charges when the likes of Starling give you money to have an account.

Offline martin

Banks
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 21:06. »
Try this UK number 0345 450 4141. Had an issue in last two weeks and was able to get it sorted.

Martin

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Banks
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 20:49. »
I also have opened a Starling account and it is so much better than the Sabadell which had cost a fortune in comparison. Makes you wonder how they still justify the charges when the likes of Starling give you money to have an account.

I'm thinking of doing the same but it seems I have to open a current account before I can open a euro account.  Am I reading this correctly.  Any info. would be appreciated.

Thanks
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Mallard

Banks
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 21:33. »
Yes you have to open a sterling account first but it is not necessary to transfer your banking to them, although they would like you to. I just started with £100 and so far purely use it to feed the Euro account for Spain purposes.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Banks
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 22:56. »
Can you transfer mortgage payments from the lending bank ie Sabadell to Starling.