Author Topic: any one done the trip from here to euro tunnel  (Read 2509 times)

Offline fantastic

any one done the trip from here to euro tunnel
« on: December 13, 2019, 12:29. »
hi has any body done the journey between gran alacant and the euro tunnel looking for help and any tips places to stay pet freindly please pm if you can help
thanks

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 14:20. »
I’ve done it a couple of times depends if you want easy drive 2 stops or tough drive 1 stop . I did in 2 stops stayed in cheap formula 1 places , basic but decent enough I think people there had pets . One was in Toulouse 2nd one was south of Barcelona can’t remember where . But 3 days driving is comfortable 2 is really tough

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 06:58. »
I've used Formula 1 as well. Pretty basic. I've also used Campanile which are slightly more upmarket. I've done two stoppers to Calais, taking about two and a half days, breaking the journey at Figueres and Issiore. It's a long old slog though. Depending where you are in the UK, you could consider Portsmouth/Caen crossing which makes a one stop journey, around Bayonne or thereabouts, more viable as it knocks several hundred miles off and avoids having to hack round Paris. Once did it via Bilbao, leaving GA mid-evening, driving overnight, and arriving in Bilbao in plenty of time to catch the mid-day ferry to Portsmouth. Then it's only ten minutes home. :)

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 16:29. »
We do it regularly - day one going out Manchester to Rouen via Eurotunnel, day two Rouen to south Bordeaux, day three Bordeaux to Bello (south of Zaragoza), day four Bello to GA. Usually leave Sunday am and get to GA Wednesday early afternoon.

Return usually two stops - day one GA to Urnetia (north of Pamplona), day two Urnetia to Le Mans via the border at Irun, day three Le Mans to Manchester via Eurotunnel.

Always use this route as it's motorway all the way except through Rouen but that's easy anyway and you avoid Paris and also the Pyrenees if travelling in the winter. Toll free to north Zaragoza and minimal tolls thereafter until you reach France. Tolls have been around the £100 mark on three trips this year. I'm using toll tags now which saves opening the window and getting your card out at every toll.

I always measure my stops to ensure about 6 - 7 hours driving and needing to refuel when I stop; choose stops wisely to be near fuel off the motorway at your destination, that way you save around 20 cents a litre on the French side and a bit less in Spain.

Used to use hotels but now use Airbnb as you get a lot more space for a good deal less money; we also travel with pets.   

PM me with email address if you want directions and some decent pet friendly stops.

Dave

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 20:16. »
Appreciate the comments as we want to drive down in 2020

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 07:49. »
French fuel prices can be found at https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr.  If you aren't travelling on a Sunday, using supermarket fuel will save a bit. Use Google earth to look for suitable Leclercs etc near where you need your fuel stops.

Offline David D

• Supreme Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 10:17. »
We took the ferry to Santander during the summer & drove directly to GA, it took approximately 9 1/2 hours we took our time & stopped a couple of times.We would definitely do it again.
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline llamedos

• Galactic Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 11:31. »
hi has any body done the journey between gran alacant and the euro tunnel looking for help and any tips places to stay pet freindly please pm if you can help
thanks
I did GA to Bordeaux stopped at a place in Lorcan a dog friendly self check in type place, €35 plus €5 for breakfast and found it very good value, then crack on to the tunnel. A long slog though.

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 18:45. »
Some things I forgot: -

1. Helpful websites for making sure you have the correct equipment / documents for driving abroad. https://about-spain.net/ and https://about-france.com/ just scroll to the "Driving" tabs.
    Dependent on the Brexit we get on 31st Jan 20 you may need an International Driving Permit one each for both France and Spain - check out the Post Office website for updates. https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/international-driving-permit
2. Carrefour and Super U are also good for fuel in France.
3. A good satnav is very helpful but I always take printed directions in case the satnav has a wobble as mine did the other week.
4. Check out the Eurotunnel website https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/travelling-with-your-pet/ for the pet travel process and keep an eye on the DEFRA website https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad for latest advice post Brexit. Plan early this is a moving feast.
5. Avoid Bordeaux like the plague at rush hour either going north or south. I use the east section of the ring road (clockwise south, anticlockwise north) Going south it's usually busy but moving except in school holidays when the A63 is like Wacky Races all the way to Biarritz. Coming north on the A63 from J24 Cestas Services it's wall to wall HGV's when the road goes to two lanes from three - usually eases post 10am. Cestas Services also has a reasonably priced Campanile pet friendly motel on the southbound side but also accessible northbound through an underpass - easily seen on Google maps.
Dave

Offline phil

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 10:06. »
I agree with Dave I've done the ferry to Santander/Bilbao from Portsmouth  Its a great drive down from there  They also have pet friendly cabins on some of the ships. The crossing is 24hrs but you can get a good nights rest in the en suite cabins We even used the main roads Santander end of the trip which was quite good instead of the motorway You then join the motorway for most of the journey down where there are no tolls  we even stopped of in a motel this side of Madrid for about 35 euro which made it even more pleasant  that's of course if you are in no rush 

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 13:17. »
Hi. Anyone require a discount code for either the Bilbao or Santander ferry just let me know. Above board and quite a large discount to have for the asking. Derek