Author Topic: Thoughts appreciated  (Read 2602 times)

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Thoughts appreciated
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 16:33. »
Im intrigued as to what you could buy in 2002 for less than 60k euros as this was the height of the boom years.

Offline NickiH

• Supreme Member
Thoughts appreciated
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 17:15. »
Bought off plan end Nov 2000 completes July 2002 Altomar 2 with fees etc just under £40k

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Thoughts appreciated
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 18:14. »
Sounds good at 40k well timed, we have no regrets buying had huge amount of enjoyment of our place, out in GA at the moment, weather fantastic, would do it all again.

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Thoughts appreciated
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 09:13. »
The house price inflation in GA was pretty spectacular during the 2002 - 2008 period.

We bought a "alba" townhouse on 3.2g in Nov 2005. Without the extra value they added on for a corner plot and being south facing front line (yes they even charged extra for that) - the basic price was €135K.

In 2003 on 3.2f you were around €90 - €95K. After we moved in they were selling Albas for well over €150k (and Aurora's for €180k) in 2007 - and then the crash ! Some people who were "speculating" around then were really stung.

I wouldn't say prices have any where near recovered to even 2006 values   
BeachLife

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Thoughts appreciated
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 10:13. »
South facing.

When we put our place on the market all three agents said that south facing was a massive plus factor.
Investors, read rental market, wanted south facing to extend the rental season, owner occupiers also had it as top of their agenda.
We spent three hours sat in the notary office with the people who bought our house, they only looked at it because it was south facing. They’d owned a north facer on Novamar 4 and they actually said in previous years they’d seen us sat at the front of our house basking in the sun in shorts and tshirts whilst they had sweaters and body warmers on!!
I reckon if ours had been north facing it would still be on the market.
Something else to chuck in the property for rental income debate

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Thoughts appreciated
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 10:24. »
We have an Alba townhouse down the hill in Monte Y Mar, an end house facing the communal area, the pool fortunately is at the other end so less noise, paid €109k in 2002 which included all taxes, and the south facing extra 1500, think we might have also paid for breathable air. We got the money conversion for payment at €1.55 to the pound, seems incredible now. Best money we have ever spent, out in GA now and weather has been wonderful, going to be a hell of a shock going back to the UK.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Thoughts appreciated
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 13:47. »
Just been informed by the misses that we paid €109,000 all in and the conversion done by Mass was at €1.61 to the pound so the house cost £67,700 don't know where the other figures came from,I'm wrong as usual.

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Thoughts appreciated
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 16:33. »
Bought my 2 bed south facing apt in 2000 for les than €40k including taxes solicitors fees all new furniture (not the package that was on offer we bought from other places) air con etc and the cost of living out there for 3 months it was already finished and the buyer fell through so we bought and moved in 3 weeks later never regretted it
Since the it’s been valued at €100k in the peak years but probably about €75k now maybe one day we will sell it but not in this market

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Thoughts appreciated
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 08:27. »
I would echo John's comments. Ours on Novamar 3 was north facing and, whilst welcome during the hot weather, it did mean it was chilly in the winter months. It took us several years to get a buyer and we sold at a Euro loss after purchasing in 2002 for €110K including costs. The only redeeming feature was the shift in the exchange rate from 1.59 when we purchased which meant we've more or less broken even. An enjoyable fifteen years though - how does one cost that?

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Thoughts appreciated
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2018, 16:03. »
The north/south debate is only relevent if you have a mid terrace property with a frontage,and or its a downstairs terrace back to back,there are hundreds of GA properties that are semi type or detached so get the sun on 2,3 or 4 aspects during the whole day.less noisey neighbours, better views and constant wintersun whats not to like.

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Thoughts appreciated
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 18:17. »
I suppose the North v South debate can go on for ever dependent on one's own point of view. My property faces north and as Tony says it's welcome in the summer; it also has a SE facing garden and roof terrace so we are never short of sun or shade winter or summer to suit the particular moment.

However the one better element of south facing is the difference in the comfort of the property in winter if you are here. I can go to my neighbours and they will have a comfortably warm house with no (or very little) heating on whilst I have my electric meter tearing itself off its mounting and all the heat disappearing through the wall.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.   

Dave

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Thoughts appreciated
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 21:31. »
Yes likewise, our south facing house stays warm in winter, stays at 16°C even in January, got an end house so get the sun on the front, side and solarium , the back upstairs bathroom does get cold though but rest of house is fine, just use ceiling fan in bedroom in Sumner and rarely run the air con.