Author Topic: House insurance  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
House insurance
« on: February 11, 2015, 19:33. »
Hi what are the views on having house insurance on our flat in GA I have always done it as a matter of course but the renewal for next year is now up to €161 with Liberty segurus which is more than I pay in UK for a 4 bed house anyone got any ideas for cheaper or do I need it ?

Thanks

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
House insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 20:31. »
Hi Spurs, I've contemplated cancelling ours every year...........but I havn't.

The community insure the property..........but not for water damage, probably one of the primary causes for a claim.........as I found out in the UK this year when I had to have two walls removed and rebuilt and some floors replaced due to water damage.

The contents of the Spanish home, if they were stripped could be replaced for 10,000 Euros with no problem..........makes you wonder why bother...........

The expensive thing is what a liability claim might cost me...........if some one walking past poked their eye out on a branch of one of the plants growing through the fence the subseqent claim would be massive.........I know the odds against it happening are pretty long............do you/dont you take the risk............its down to you...........I decided to stay covered.

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Annette

House insurance
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 21:10. »
Looked into this last year after renewal premium with Sabadell shot up. Also had heard about lengthy delays over claims for pipes etc. the community insure the buildings so took contents etc with the same company. Hopefully if it came to a claim they could not say " not covered with us" as all under one company... Fingers crossed. Also considerably cheaper.

Offline Carolyn

House insurance
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 21:14. »
We also took out community insurance and pay around 130 euros a year.

Offline smithy.j

House insurance
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 14:18. »
until last year I had my house insurance with mapfre,the last quote was 294euros.on a two bed apt. altomar 2 I had been with them for 12 years,no more.
I am now with ABBYGATE 144euros and it was all done from uk. 

smith.j

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
House insurance
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 14:29. »
Getting out of your existing policy seems like really hard work. BBVA put so many obstacles in my way (I have a small mortgage with them) that I didn't bother. They wanted loads of notice, and as I had a mortgage wanted to vet the terms and conditions of any replacement

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

BeachLife

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
House insurance
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 15:36. »
Hi Rich, when I changed insurance, from my bank to Linda Rowland I gave them eight weeks notice, despite this they still took the yearly premium out of our bank!!

I used the "return bill" on their own on line banking site and then the "block future payment" feature.

The money was returned and no further payments have been taken ;-)

I do believe that there is a set period for you to reverse Direct Debits in.

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
House insurance
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 15:59. »
Thanks for all the replies I'm going to insure it but €161 does seem high for a 2 bed flat does anyone know anyone cheaper locally ?

Offline Gemstone

• Supreme Member
House insurance
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 16:35. »
Try Linea Direct and negotiate with them.

Offline tony and lesley

• paradise is GA
House insurance
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 20:31. »
I used www. click4quote  here in UK for ours.

£20000 plus liability  for  £120  seemed reasonable at the time and  reassuring i can talk to someone here if any problems

Offline David D

• Supreme Member
House insurance
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 21:13. »
I used to be with mapfre but through my bank recommendations I cancelled my policy with them. I started a new policy with linea directa and find them very reasonable.
Regards
Dave

Offline bertdove

• Galactic Member
House insurance
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 22:07. »
Been using Mapfre for house and Linea Directa for car for a few years.  Both seemed good value at the time, but now, not so much. Will try Abbeygate for quotes well before renewal dates.  Watch this space!

Bert

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
House insurance
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 22:45. »
Do most communities have buildings insurance,  as mine on puerto marino have never mentioned it.
They dont like it up em !

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
House insurance
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 23:28. »
I didnt know about until I questioned it after I saw it on the  community accounts victor.
Might be worth checking yours and speaking to the administrator

Regards all

John

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
House insurance
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 14:34. »
Interesting I e mailed the broker and said it's too dear and I was looking elsewhere and suddenly it's gone down by €20

Must keep on haggling on everything there are deals to be had still