Author Topic: £1 = €1.3084 and it's gonna get better.....  (Read 5907 times)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
£1 = €1.3084 and it's gonna get better.....
« on: January 15, 2015, 10:41. »
........I would guess after the ECB meeting later in the month

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 11:43. »
How good is that???  About time as well
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 11:50. »
Good news for us living in GA, my pension is transfered from the UK to Spain monthly. If this keeps rising I could be a wealthy man before long. On a more serious note, your post has prompted me to put an exchange rate widget at the bottom of the homepage. I am awaiting permissions from other local website owners so that I can add links to their sites as well. This will not be ´paid´advertising which I wish to avoid if possible, merely links to other sites that I think members may find useful.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:53. by Admin »

Derek

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 16:12. »
Hola

Not such good news for UK exporters when selling to Euro zone countries. I suppose if Nigel Farage's party had their way they would open up markets to other more prosperous countries in the world. The problem with concentrating on one market is that if that goes sour, which it has, all is lost. Roll on May and hopefully some of the concerns of the UK citizens might be addressed.

I think the main concerns at least for me are;

Low interest rates devaluing hard earned savings.
Immigration with open doors and no selecting people the country actually needs. Influx of cheap Eastern European labour is holding wages down however I must say I have never seen John's car looking so clean.
Lack of forward planning, being very difficult as the numbers arriving or departing is not being controlled, the effect is overcrowded schools, and just for John overworked teachers. Overcrowded hospital staff not be eastern Europeans I might add. I just cannot believe that every car wash goes through the books and benefits the UK economy.

Some members might say yawn yawn  but at least we/they can express an opinion. I will just point out nothing to do with being racist as I believe those from the commonwealth have as much if not a greater right to work and reside in the UK.

Derek 8) 8)

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 19:44. »
Couldnt believe ig today when i transfered some money to ga and got 1.30 hopefully we may return to those dizzy days of 1.50.
They dont like it up em !

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 11:14. »
I think there is a sweet spot on the Euro value. That satisfies both the exporters, businesses buying in and attracting investment in the Eurozone.

My company set 2014 / 15 budget at €1.28 and $1.70 to the pound

We are making big money on US exports as a result - less in Europe - but we buy a lot of raw material and components in from the Eurozone so I think we are on balance doing well on that.

There will be winners and losers here. But I think getting to 1.32 and holding would be about right
BeachLife

Offline Angelo

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 14:58. »
That is brilliant!!  Oh, yes, let's have 2.3 billion commonwealth citizens coming over to reside in the UK.
They may fit on this island standing up!!

The (uk) had the right of "veto" on any Eastern European country to join the union but it didn't.  Greece did exercise the right to "veto "Cyprus from joining the union for reasons that we all know.

My friend (a company director) told me that without staff from Eastern Europe his business would not survive. They are punctual and hardworking.  Another friend who works in recruitment told me that the Eastern Europeans are grateful for the work offered unlike some recruits from Common Wealth Countries (Zimbabwe & Ghana, Nigeria) who don't even bother to turn up for interviews and if they do they are not punctual.

There are exceptions to the rule such as the Roma, but the Eastern Europeans are clean tidy, proud and hardworking, and they integrate into our society, unlike some Common Wealth Countries.

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 17:04. »
And it has got better !

Finished the week at £1.338 best its been for over 8 years.

BeachLife

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 22:58. »
granalacant, your post has been deleted.
This forum is not the place to compare or promote the debate about the work ethics of different nationalities
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 23:03. by John Hannon »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 00:18. »
Whilst  some  would argue that a lower euro rate is better, areas like GA will only prosper with tourists and visitors spending money, its quite clear that a lot of the residents of GA whilst benefiting from all that GA has to offer actually spend very little in the local economy certainly not enough to sustain all the local business, therefore the higher it goes the better for GA.

Offline bertdove

• Galactic Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 21:33. »
Nor sure about your assertion, Victor.  My perception is that expats living here spend well in the bars and restaurants.  With a better exchange rate their expenditure is likely to go up.  A w[n-win all round!

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 21:35. »
Bert im sure there are many residents who spend a lot of money in local small businesses,  i can only speak about what ive seen over the last 10 years and what neighbours who are residents tell me. The facts are GA has quite a large resident population, if they all spent there money locally then why do so many places shut down all over winter your response doesnt stack up.My local pub,bakery,cafe and spar shop where i live in england doesnt shut over winter simply because it is supported by the locals, as the saying goes bert use it or lose it.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 21:52. »
We live in a coastal resort in the UK, in the winter it's very quiet......not as quiet as GA, it's considered quite normal for businesses to close for the winter months
On our community here in GA at the moment I reckon around 5% of the houses are occupied.......it's not surprising that it's quiet.......also when you live here I doubt you would be out every night with the spending power or the will of a holiday maker.
I doubt if the better exchange rate will make a difference to peoples normal weekly expenditure, more likely IMHO that the extra money in pensions etc will be spent on holidays/home improvements

Regards all

John

Offline Lesue

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 11:45. »
Latest update .... 1 pound = 1.3512 euro. WOW !

Offline Philndeb

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 20:04. »
Looking good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk