Author Topic: Estate Agents  (Read 818 times)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Estate Agents
« on: June 07, 2018, 17:54. »
Just over a year ago we decided it was time to sell our holiday home in GA
We went down to one of the agents in the commercial centre and told them we wanted to sell......we described the property and they said advertise at X to achieve Y.....I know we all value our own property and I told them I thought their figures were on the low side.
They agreed to come to the house straight away and take a look.....they loved it, the first thing they said was “you can tell that this has never been rented out” “it’s immaculate”......they told us about the condition of some of the properties they were marketing, pretty grim!
So I asked in view of their visit what would the figures be......I was told as quoted in the office because it’s only the cheap ones that are getting “hits” on the website and being sold!!
I thanked them for their visit, jumped in my car and returned to the commercial centre to see agent number 2.......I think they’d attended the same course on how to be an estate agent, their indications of advertise at X and achieve Y were exactly the same.....again I invited them to come and look.....within half an hour they were at the house with the same glowing adjectives....again I asked in view of their visit what would the X & Y be......as I now expected the figures were the same
I thought I’ll give it one more go and visited Novadesta........he wouldn’t give me any figures until he’d researched and visited the property which he couldn’t do until the following day.
He arrived at the time agreed and the first thing he did was tell us what a special property we had, on the whole of the Novamar phases there were only 10 like it and what a brilliant aspect it had.....we knew we’d bought it for a good reason!!
He was extremely complementary on his internal inspection......we than came to the crunch....advertise at X to achieve Y......Y was 10% higher than the other agents had said.
We liked his enthusiasm, the research he had done and importantly we thought this guy will sell the house.
We agreed a fee.....it was less than the commercial centre guys wanted.....and signed the paperwork.
After 6 months and no sale we thought that possibly the guys at the commercial centre had got it right re the price and we had a chat to Novadesta re lowering the price, they told us in no uncertain terms not to....”it’s a great house waiting for the right buyer”.
I’m pleased to say they found the right buyers and today the sale was completed at the notary
Two of our friends knowing I’m a bit of a “nerd” and knowing how I research things listed their houses with Novadesta subsequent to us listing ours.....both have sold.
So, if your thinking of selling give them a visit, you may be pleasantly surprised

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 17:56. by John H »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Estate Agents
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 10:43. »
Very useful review John, thanks.

Best of luck in your round the world travels.

Michael.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Estate Agents
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 12:15. »
So now you’ve sold it john what are your plans buy another elsewhere or you done with owning abroad ? I hate to say it but I suspect the uk taxman will also want a slice of your cake very soon as well as the Spanish taxes

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Estate Agents
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 12:29. »
Thanks guys.

No I don’t think I’ll buy abroad again, I don’t want tying down to one place, it’s a big world out there we want to see more of whilst we still have good health
When we bought the place I wanted a bolt hole away from the stress of work and city life......some 14 years later we’ve had 12 years of retirement, moved back up to the Yorkshire Coast which we love and have a great life up there, we don’t need a bolt hole, we’ll just need the occasional top up of vitamin D

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."