Author Topic: Car Hire  (Read 1637 times)

Offline redmond.julie

Car Hire
« on: May 18, 2018, 09:35. »
Retirement is almost here, so we will be spending more time in Spain. We have our flights bought, one way and plan to stay a few months. We normally hire from Centauro car hire for short trips but wondered what others did when staying longer. Do hire companies give better rates? We intend on buying a car within the next year.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Car Hire
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:51. »
I’m going back a few years, but our experience was that the companies seemed to discourage long term hire.
I seem to remember that some of them wouldn’t even give an online price for rentals of over 40 days, you had to message them....when I did the resultant price was exorbitant.
It was cheaper in our case to do two shorter bookings
Dont forget with a long term booking you may well go over the mileage limit, we always use Record and if you go over 2000 Kms they charge you 1€ a kilometre in excess charges. It’s a quick and easy process to take the car back to the airport and pick up a new one at no charge

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:53. by John H »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Car Hire
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 10:43. »
As John says - I use Dickmans and their maximum is 28 days, so for the present tour I had to book two cars as we are here for 30 days, no big issue, easy to change over the cars.

I have just run a test booking through www.hirecarsinspain.com whom I have used for all my hires this past 10 years, using the two months from 1st June to 31st July, the only one of their suppliers who would do this time period is Econorent at a minimum of 1,400 euros. Try running a test yourself using the dates you are planning to be here and see what comes up, though I doubt it will be very attractive.

Michael.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline Andy L

Car Hire
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 16:34. »
Might be worth giving Paul a ring at Xtra Car Hire he might do you a deal.

Offline Angiewheel1

Car Hire
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 19:42. »
Retirement is almost here, so we will be spending more time in Spain. We have our flights bought, one way and plan to stay a few months. We normally hire from Centauro car hire for short trips but wondered what others did when staying longer. Do hire companies give better rates? We intend on buying a car within the next year.

Our guests usually hire a car from Peter at Hatsikidee the dutch cafe next Door to Gran Mundo. Quite good price and includes insurance.   Angie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Car Hire
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 00:44. »
Owning is not such a bad option when you look at the minimal rate of depreciation

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Car Hire
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 07:33. »
The other possibility is to consider driving down. You can make the trip a bit of a holiday on its own if you take it leisurely. If you crack on, it's two and a half days from Calais or two days from the western channel ports. From Santander you could do it in a day. I'm perhaps a bit biased as I only live ten minutes from Portsmouth ferry port, so I don't have a UK leg to factor in. When I had a place in GA, I worked out the breakeven duration between flying and hiring against using my own car was about 4-5 weeks.

Offline redmond.julie

Car Hire
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 09:55. »
Coming from Ireland so could go from Cork to Santander on ferry. Maybe another time as I have purchased the flights for this trip.
The other possibility is to consider driving down. You can make the trip a bit of a holiday on its own if you take it leisurely. If you crack on, it's two and a half days from Calais or two days from the western channel ports. From Santander you could do it in a day. I'm perhaps a bit biased as I only live ten minutes from Portsmouth ferry port, so I don't have a UK leg to factor in. When I had a place in GA, I worked out the breakeven duration between flying and hiring against using my own car was about 4-5 weeks.

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Car Hire
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 10:21. »
If contemplating the drive option, I would advise think long term.  We did it many times,taking a week or so, & always using different routes.  The last time we did it, we finished up with a real zigzag to get to a few places we hadn't stayed.  It was a pain, but worth the effort.  The end result is that we have seen a great deal of Spain, & France & have thoroughly enjoyed each trip.

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Car Hire
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 18:32. »
Have to echo what Mike is saying - I had my Nissan Almera for 3 years and sold it less 5 %  than what I paid for it 3 years ago.

I know there are lots of for / against conversations about owning. But if you have the capital and aren’t borrowing to buy and you (or your family) are here enough it costs in

Owning is not such a bad option when you look at the minimal rate of depreciation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BeachLife