Author Topic: Speed Signs  (Read 1864 times)

Offline masmu

Speed Signs
« on: April 16, 2018, 20:51. »
Just got back to Gran Alacant after a few months in the UK.  This morning we drove down the N332 and noticed there were a few blue signs, showing what we took to be speed limits, in between the normal speed signs.  Anyone know anything about them please?

Cheers

Offline bertdove

• Galactic Member
Speed Signs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 22:40. »
Recommended speed?

Bert

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Speed Signs
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 07:10. »
Blue signs were always advisory not compulsory.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Speed Signs
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 08:41. »
It doesn't matter what colour the signs are the Spanish dont take any notice they keep driving like lunatics,they must be the, worse in europe for disregarding any rules of the road.
They dont like it up em !

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Speed Signs
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 10:34. »
[the Spanish] ...must be the, worse in europe for disregarding any rules of the road.

Then don't go for a pleasant drive in Croatia :)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/323869/international-and-uk-road-deaths/

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Speed Signs
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 16:02. »
Tailgating is the worst Spanish driving trait.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Speed Signs
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 23:15. »
In all fairness kevin i cant think of a good driving trait, they all drive like theyve got moments to live.

Offline masmu

Speed Signs
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 12:31. »
Thanks for the replies.  I did wonder if they were advisory.

Don't you just love the plentiful speed signs, changing the speed limit within a distance of a couple of lamp posts, on Avenida Noregua?

Cheers

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
Speed Signs
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 15:43. »
At least there are plenty of signs reminding you of the speed limit in Spain as opposed to the uk where the only new signs appearing are ones to tell you there are speed cameras about.

Graham

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Speed Signs
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 18:27. »
As someone who's driven the length and breadth of Spain several times I've got to say that IMHO the general standard of driving is every bit as good as it is in the UK
The poorest driving I've seen is on the Costas.......a bit like where we live in the UK too may folk in "holiday mode"

When it comes to parallel parking they leave us for dead.........I've driven past parking spots thinking thats a bit tight only to witness and old Spanish lady in her Mercedes 450 reverse into it on one move!!

As everywhere theres the good, the bad and the ugly

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline llamedos

• Galactic Member
Speed Signs
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 17:00. »

Sorry John, but I have to disagree the parking skills over here are zero.
I don't think it's a lack of skill it's just that they don't care where or how they park,because everyone is doing it. Er indoors is fed up with me taking pics of awful parking.

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Speed Signs
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 07:24. »
That's a rental car hirer who didn't take out the extra insurance cover. ;)

Offline Keith and Jen

Speed Signs
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 08:20. »
I find the courtesy of drivers at Spanish zebra crossings is exemplary; much better than in Britain.  The placement of these crossings sometimes puzzles me (e.g. on exit from a roundabout).

Keith
Experience is what you get just after you need it.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Speed Signs
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 09:32. »
I find the courtesy of drivers at Spanish zebra crossings is exemplary; much better than in Britain.  The placement of these crossings sometimes puzzles me (e.g. on exit from a roundabout).

Keith
Exemplary i would disagree, you approach the crossing indicating your intention to cross,the cars approaching maintain there speed,now its a game of chicken do i send the kids across assuming the driver will stop, or wait for the car to get to the crossing then stop, the usual situation is drivers on seeing you will slow there approach giving you hopefully time to cross, sadly some drivers hurtle towards you only braking at the last second,then give you a withering look because youve delayed there siesta.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Speed Signs
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 09:56. »
Do you dislike Spanish people in general Corporal Jones? I find your tone immensely disagreeable.