Author Topic: sierra mar square debacle  (Read 6712 times)

Offline veronica

sierra mar square debacle
« on: April 12, 2018, 12:56. »
I wonder if people are aware of the debacle at sierra mar square where dick turpins, zest and marian's bar etc operate.
Some people ( not the majority) from the urb. had a meeting and put posters up saying workmen would be coming to remove their chairs , tables and awnings . according to the bar owners this situation has a court case pending. However that did not seem to stop the administration of sierra mar urb organising 3 skips of huge bolders arriving at 2.am with workmen about to place them around the square. This would have been carried out had it not been for 1 of the proprietors being present and phoning the police who stopped the workmen for now.

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 13:05. »
Yes it’s all over Facebook it’s the same house owners who don’t like the bars because of noise etc my view is if you don’t want a house near a bar don’t buy one those buildings have always been designated commercial so I don’t see issue . The police have stopped it for now

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 14:25. »
Yes it’s all over Facebook it’s the same house owners who don’t like the bars because of noise etc my view is if you don’t want a house near a bar don’t buy one those buildings have always been designated commercial so I don’t see issue . The police have stopped it for now
What FB pages Spurs.  I feel like i’m missing out!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 14:40. »
Some of the staff in the bars etc go to dick Turpin etc on fb and look at friends or the managers fb

Offline llamedos

• Galactic Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 16:05. »
I wonder if people are aware of the debacle at sierra mar square where dick turpins, zest and marian's bar etc operate.
Some people ( not the majority) from the urb. had a meeting and put posters up saying workmen would be coming to remove their chairs , tables and awnings . according to the bar owners this situation has a court case pending. However that did not seem to stop the administration of sierra mar urb organising 3 skips of huge bolders arriving at 2.am with workmen about to place them around the square. This would have been carried out had it not been for 1 of the proprietors being present and phoning the police who stopped the workmen for now.

Sounds like a similar situation that has crippled the  Carrabasi bars, no loud music unless you have a special licence, for instance Molly's can only have music for 30 days a year. This place could end up a ghost town in tears to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 16:21. »
Don’t think it’s fair a few grumpy residents try to ruin it for everyone  if you don’t like airplane noise don’t live near an airport

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 19:42. »
When I bought my house that is in a residential area but near commercial units that at the time were all empty I enquired through my solicitor to Santa Pola Town Hall about the likelihood of any of the units becoming bars. I was assured that if they were indeed to be bars then the licence requirements were such that the noise generated would have to be contained within the premise. The rules are slightly different in a commercial area such as the GA centre that usually stands away from residential property.

I'm not familiar with the situation at Sierra Mar but for a bar in a residential area to be licenced solely as a bar then to get that licence it has to be soundproofed internally and have airlock doors on all entrances and all the sound generated must stay in the premise. This is an expensive licence to obtain due to the initial outlay required. It's not a special licence it is just the licence that applies.
For a bar / restaurant in a residential area the licence is cheaper but the downside is that they are not allowed to play live music - not even Karaoke.

Regarding the Carabassi Bars when the bars were leased originally the first owners obviously had to do things correctly - note O'Duills, Oceans, Yellow Submarine and the Carabassi Bar (now Brothers) that still have the airlock doors. Subsequent owners (Brothers and Oceans) have stretched the rules a bit and have abandoned the airlock doors so when anyone enters or leaves the sound carries across the street. Oceans discovered that to their cost last year when they were fined for playing live music with the doors open at 2am.
Molly Malones originally the Maria Jose restaurant only has a bar / restaurant licence and consequently is not allowed to play live music and has to shut earlier - 1.30am. The solution is simple but expensive soundproof the premise and fit airlock doors.
I think it was in late 2015 when following lots of complaints from residents all the bar owners were called to a meeting at Santa Pola Town Hall and reminded of the rules and at that point they were told to elect the type of licence they required.

The rules are in place to enable the bars to prosper but not at the detriment of residents; live and let live, and it's not fair to brand residents as grumpy because a few landlords want a cheap bar / restaurant licence but operate as a bar. Didn't they know the rules when they took the premise on or did they think no-one would complain. The more responsible bar owners must be disappointed to see the likes of Molly's flout the rules and I don't think they can have music 30 days a year either - just operate within their licence.

Sorry it's a bit long but I hope it clarifies the situation somewhat.

Dave

Dave   

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 19:52. »
It’s not music so much but the noise people make when leaving the places in the wee small hours that they object to but for me it’s easy don’t buy near a commercial unit whether it’s open or not at the time you move in at some point it may well open

The bars up there don’t play loud music but there is obviously noise generated particularly in the summer ,this is not new some people on that community have been against these bars for 15 years and this is just the latest in that battle . Today’s action was stopped by the police after they were shown the correct licenses by the bars

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 23:15. »
What's the position with Masa Square as they have live singers on every Sunday in the square outside the Puband you can hear the music a long way. In fact there is a lot of live music in that square at Rogers and the Pub

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 09:42. »
I think what's sad is the way that the British, and is certainly predominantly the British, abuse these open areas. Perhaps some of the residents who bought near the commercial units thought that there would be a mix if units, and that the few that were bars would have people sitting outside them having a glass of white wine and chatting quietly in the sun. That's a far cry from what they do get. I've even had Spanish friends tell me they've dropped into that square - on a Sunday especially - just to "look at" the way the people there are behaving. It's literally a source of amusement for them, like going to the zoo I suppose.

The last time I was there was also a Sunday, the place was deafening, people screaming and downing shots outside the beautifully named "Chasers" on an "all day Sunday session". Its was charming.

Offline Chris C

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 19:31. »
I think what's sad is the way that the British, and is certainly predominantly the British, abuse these open areas. Perhaps some of the residents who bought near the commercial units thought that there would be a mix if units, and that the few that were bars would have people sitting outside them having a glass of white wine and chatting quietly in the sun. That's a far cry from what they do get. I've even had Spanish friends tell me they've dropped into that square - on a Sunday especially - just to "look at" the way the people there are behaving. It's literally a source of amusement for them, like going to the zoo I suppose.

The last time I was there was also a Sunday, the place was deafening, people screaming and downing shots outside the beautifully named "Chasers" on an "all day Sunday session". Its was charming.

Sorry but I think you must be thinking of a different square!  ::) Chasers is owned an run by a very nice Spanish lady (Marieanne) so I would class as a Spanish bar.....

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 20:55. »
I’m with you Chris la taverna is Spanish  one bar is Norwegian only the Dick Turpin is British owned a lot of people in that square on a summer night are German Dutch Scandinavian and yes quite a lot are Spanish as well as Irish and even the odd American as well as British . But the most important thing is they are enjoying themselves in the correct place (a commercial square )

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 06:41. »
My stepsister who is well versed in the ways of Spain and spent some time living in Valencia observed that Spain is a noisy country and it is not necessarily attributable to the "Benidorm Bunch" or the "Malaga Mob".

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 10:50. »
Sorry but I think you must be thinking of a different square!

No, the right square,  but this was some time ago - the last time I ever wanted to go. If things have since transformed into idyllic sun-kissed plaza with the chinking of wine glasses, pleasant chit-chat and tapas then I retract my comment. I'll drop by one Sunday afternoon and have a look. Investigative journalism! Right here on the forum! haha

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 15:05. »
There’s a full update on the situation in tomorrow Gran Alacant News, and of course plenty of other interesting articles.

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."