Author Topic: Blue Monkey Bar/Beds. A question.  (Read 643 times)

Offline Graham H

Blue Monkey Bar/Beds. A question.
« on: November 09, 2017, 18:41. »
Could somebody ITK please settle a difference of opinion please ?

Is the Blue Monkey bar and the beds rented space from the council and the council also own the bar/beds or do the people who run the bar/beds rent the plot off the council and put there what they want ??
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 18:49. by Graham H »

Offline Maricia

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:29. »
Hi,

I vaguely remember having a conversation a few years ago with a guy named Ruben who ran the sun beds based at the Blue Monkey.  From what I understand the council owns the spot on the beach and through a tender process awards the contract to whoever (I don't know the details).  Then each year the contract is reviewed on an individual basis in terms of number of beds allowed and this is what causes the delays.  For example, a few years ago the beds at the Blue Monkey did not open until late in June and this was because the council could not get their act together.

I have not seen Ruben (or his assistant Danny) for the last two years so maybe they have walked away from the contract or was out-bid.  Danny was the man with the long hair tied back in a pony tail.  However, the guy that runs the Blue Monkey is still running the bar.

BW

Maricia

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 15:08. »
Yes I'm sure Maricia is correct in that the Town Hall issue a licence with relevant operating conditions.

For anyone interested the Blue Monkey closes this year on the 15th November so still time for a coffee on the beach.

Dave

Offline Graham H

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 18:19. »
Hi,

I vaguely remember having a conversation a few years ago with a guy named Ruben who ran the sun beds based at the Blue Monkey.  From what I understand the council owns the spot on the beach and through a tender process awards the contract to whoever (I don't know the details).  Then each year the contract is reviewed on an individual basis in terms of number of beds allowed and this is what causes the delays.  For example, a few years ago the beds at the Blue Monkey did not open until late in June and this was because the council could not get their act together.

I have not seen Ruben (or his assistant Danny) for the last two years so maybe they have walked away from the contract or was out-bid.  Danny was the man with the long hair tied back in a pony tail.  However, the guy that runs the Blue Monkey is still running the bar.

BW

Maricia

Thanks Marcia,

Yeah i remember the chap with the grey hair in a pony tail and his mate with the muscles. Last couple of years it has been the painfully thin woman running the beds on her own. I was working out 1 day down there how much money they must make during the season for the council. Lot of wedge but sadly not theirs. The tender process must be the cheapest bid gets it. The lad who runs the blue monkey has been there a good few years now and he`s a decent bloke.