Author Topic: Monarch  (Read 2970 times)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Monarch
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 12:47. »
Mytravelite, Bmibaby, Thompson’s out of Coventry......and now Monarch.
Some entrepreneur will be along shortly to plug the gap for a few years.
C’est la vie

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Monarch
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 12:53. »
Didnt Stelios and then Oleary do exactly that
They dont like it up em !

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Monarch
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 13:27. »
Exactly Victor, and many more will follow them

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Monarch
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 14:22. »
I reckon O’Leary might have just solved his pilots shortage I’m sure most of the people will get picked up quickly by other airlines

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Monarch
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 14:40. »
It’ll take about 8 weeks for them to do the transition from A320’s to 737’s, so it wouldn’t resolve his short term problem

Regards all

John

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Monarch
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 18:16. »
There is still plenty of choice from Manchester as both Norwegian and Vuelling started operations from there last summer. Another nail in Monarchs coffin perhaps, too much competition for not enough passengers.

Monarch CE is quoted as saying that in the past year they had carried 14% more passengers but lost £100m in revenue as they cut prices to attract customers.

On the plus side for Ryanair their share price is up 2.8% - it's an ill wind that doesn't favour someone as they say.

Dave

Offline SueB

Monarch
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 18:55. »
Absolutely devastated with the news.  In the past as John mentioned we travelled with Mytravelite, Bmibaby, Thompson’s from Coventry and now it is Monarch's fate. We always booked Monarch, never bothered to look at another airline because we were always satisfied with their service and price. No idea who we are going to use now but it will not be Ryanair!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 18:58. by SueB »

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Monarch
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 17:15. »
I've used Monarch a couple of times over the years and always been impressed with them. They would have been my second choice after Easyjet.

Offline Occasional tourist

Monarch
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 14:57. »
Just a head's up of something I have heard and can't substantiate, that Norwegian Airlines are also on the brink, neither them or Monarch were expected to survive the winter - from an airline industry source.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Monarch
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 15:58. »
I also read somewhere that Air Berlin had gone bump
They dont like it up em !

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
Monarch
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 17:26. »
Air Berlin and Alitalia were always deemed to be dodgy and were frequently mentioned in the same sentence as Monarch by the BBC on Monday.

Off the BBC News Website.
Air Berlin, Germany's second-largest carrier, has filed for insolvency, after its main shareholder Etihad declared it would not be providing further financial support.
The airline, which has accumulated debt for almost a decade, reported a record loss of 782m euros (£713m) in 2016.
Flights will continue to operate thanks to a transitional loan of 150m euros from the German government.

Offline llamedos

• Galactic Member
Monarch
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 17:38. »
Ryan air will probably get stronger after this news, some people have the luck of the Irish lol

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Monarch
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2017, 19:18. »
Guess who predicted Monarch and Norwegian wouldn't get past Christmas. An article from September 1st

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/286590/oleary-claims-norwegian-air-running-out-of-cash

Dave