Author Topic: Help for a sort of newbie.  (Read 1042 times)

Offline penfold

Help for a sort of newbie.
« on: August 17, 2017, 15:25. »
We are coming to GA this weekend for 10 days, to a relative's apartment, and after researching both here and elsewhere have a good idea of our plans.
I should add we did visit for a week 5 years ago but our son was only 5 so we did a bit of a 'fly & flop'.
I could do with a little help on a couple of matters that I can't quite find enough information on, so here goes.
Is there a good place in or around GA where we can snorkel? (strictly beginners stuff for me and the boy) I seem to vaguely recall the coast from GA to Santa Pola as possibly having the best potential.
If we fancied going to a football match to sample the atmosphere (recommended by a friend) has anyone any recommendations? I'm aware there are teams at Elche, Alicante and also (2?) in Santa Pola, but the websites seem to be lacking in fixture lists!
Finally (easy this one) favourite Spanish places to eat. We mostly ate down at Los Arenales last time but will look to spread our wings around both Santa Pola and Alicante this time (Also may be trips to Guardamar and Elche when we have a car). Especially hope to try some traditional ones for fish and seafood in Santa Pola.
All advice and help gratefully received - Steve

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 18:54. »
Hi there, one of the best days I have ever had in my time in GA was a "snorkelling safari" from the dive school on the marina in Santa Pola.
It wasn't expensive, no more than €20 and it was just me and the instructor
I was fitted out with a wet suit and flippers and tube in the store, we then got a taxi across to Tabarca.
Our first outing was off the end of the island to Skull Rock.
The water was very clear, with lots to see. The instructor knew where to look to find some big octopuses and some very big eels as well as a myriad of fish.
We then went for a coffee and had our second outing....off the main beach, round the headland and into three or four underwater caves, fantastic experience
We then went out in the bay to explore an old shipwreck, before going back to the island to get a water taxi back.
If you don't fancy that if you just walk along the Carabassi beach towards Santa Pola, at the end of the beach just enter the water, once over the rocks if you break a few slices of bread in the water you'll see lots of fish.
Restaurants, try Maykas Kitchen on the Carabassi strip, lovely Spanish lady who does lots of traditional dishes.....try the Galician Octopus, gorgeous.
As for footie it's not my sport although I've watched matches at both stadiums, the atmosphere at both stadiums is fantastic....love it when they throw their seat cushions when a goal is scored.
Hope this helps
Have a great break

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline BMnK

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 22:31. »
Fair play to you John. Still giving great advice ten or twelve years after you gave us some great pointers when we were new to GA. Ten of us did the snorkel Safari and it was brilliant. Restaurant wise we found a little gem in Alicante El Attico where the scenery is constantly changing as it gets darker with the lights on the castle and nearby cathedral coming on. Lovely quirky Spanish restaurant when you eventually find it.

Offline penfold

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 19:06. »
Thanks John, I thought we might stand a chance at the end of the Carabassi beach, but I'd dismissed the snorkel safaris as too expensive and too advanced for us. One I saw was advertised at 38 euros for adults and 35 for kids but I'll re-investigate. You might well have me withe the "big octopuses and eels" though.
I've put Mayka's kitchen in our target list, nice to try some octopus. I'm not that familiar with the Spanish menu's, but we've been to Greece loads and the raw materials seem the same but just prepared in different ways.
As for the football, we're not die hard fans and I don't have a preference where to go, but a friend stays in the north of the Costa Blanca and he even goes to pre season friendlies, he just said its worth going just to experience a different atmosphere.
BMnk - that roof terrace looks pretty stunning!

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 06:57. »
Dean Martin, of course, immortalised eels in that song - "When an eel bites your cheek as you swim in the creek, that's a Moray"

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 08:51. »
With comments like that I think the words 'Tony Gillan' and 'Supreme Member' should never appear together again in the same sentence. :)

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 13:07. »
Cheers Tony can't get that song out of my head now lol