Author Topic: My last August.  (Read 1861 times)

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
My last August.
« on: August 05, 2017, 13:51. »
No, not selling up or coming less but a change in role at work means I can float my hols all year.

I know some people like it this hot and crowded. But 35/37 and no breeze is not my idea of a "wonderful climate"

The crowds on the beach are epic - just don't bother at the weekends.  The first timers out here are frying and sticking it out - they must be mad.

Hard to find decent grub outside of the (few) usual suspects.  But worst for me is the state of some people who have been on it all day long - hope I'm not coming across being snobbish but jeez the more they drink the louder they need to "talk" - it's like a zoo in some places.

Capped it off for me when a guy came into  a bar I was in, no top on dripping in sweat and squeezed past me to get served.

Class ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 13:54. by Rich and Sue »
BeachLife

Offline cathk7@hotmail.com

My last August.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 14:05. »
No, not selling up or coming less but a change in role at work means I can float my hols all year.

I know some people like it this hot and crowded. But 35/37 and no breeze is not my idea of a "wonderful climate"

The crowds on the beach are epic - just don't bother at the weekends.  The first timers out here are frying and sticking it out - they must be mad.

Hard to find decent grub outside of the (few) usual suspects.  But worst for me is the state of some people who have been on it all day long - hope I'm not coming across being snobbish but jeez the more they drink the louder they need to "talk" - it's like a zoo in some places.

Capped it off for me when a guy came into  a bar I was in, no top on dripping in sweat and squeezed past me to get served.

Class ....

Only did one year in August never again.After the summer lovely again when the noisy holiday makers are back home.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
My last August.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 14:08. »
Me too August is way to uncomfortable I usually come out early Sep once flight prices have returned to normal after the kids holidays robbery

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
My last August.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 14:43. »
The Mrs hasn't visited in August for 10 years and for me it's about 5 years, I only came then for the community meeting.
For all the reasons you described Rich.
Back out mid September when the weather is perfect and the crowds have gone.

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
My last August.
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 15:18. »
Weve been over this last month  and there are so many awful British people who are quite frankly embarrassing. That said  many businesses and individuals on this forum have strived to turn ga into little benidorm for years.
They dont like it up em !

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
My last August.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 16:59. »
Im here now.  We're having a lovely time.  Varadero beach or Urbanova (mostly) by day, Roof terrace, Santa Pola or Alicante (mostly) by night. Drove to La Vuelta for dinner last night.  School holidays limit when we can visit but after 14 years we know where to go. Enjoy people its great here

Casa De Valen Med II

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
My last August.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 17:00. »
Have to agree, my family are here with me and have to stick with school holidays to visit otherwise I think we would book for a cottage in France or north west Spain for a cooler climate and I also do not need to see topless, sweaty, big bellied blokes in the bar or wandering through while I and my family are trying to eat, really not nice!!

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
My last August.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 17:33. »
When you have the choice why come during summer holidays? Add to the above list N332 rammed from airport to Gran Alacant.

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
My last August.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 17:41. »
When you have the choice why come during summer holidays? Add to the above list N332 rammed from airport to Gran Alacant.

The  N322 was crawling from El Altet tunnel all the way to Santa Pola today. Went for a lunch in Alicante. The barrio are (Tapas alley) looked dead on first glance - then realised everyone was inside in the Aircon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BeachLife

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
My last August.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 19:43. »
Weve been over this last month  and there are so many awful British people who are quite frankly embarrassing. That said  many businesses and individuals on this forum have strived to turn ga into little benidorm for years.

If Proyecto Balsares is completed Victor it will be like Benidorm.

From reading the local press it would appear to have a lot of support in terms of the employment and wealth it will bring to Santa Pola......it was "put on ice" following the recession but the belief appears to be that now might be the time to resurect it.......although of course there are those who object to it.

Briefly the project consists of:

1) In the large area that is in front of the gas station that gives access to Gran Alacant three golf courses are built, two hotels, several shopping centers and several facilities with their corresponding infrastructures.

2) Throughout the agricultural belt that runs through the Vereda de les Cendres towards the road to Elche the construction of several housing estates, apartments and bungalows, with a total of 4,200 houses.

3) Parallel to the current road between Alicante and Santa Pola, on the inner side, the construction of a new road, boulevard style, that would link Gran Alacant with Santa Pola by the entrance from Elche.

I've attached a plan showing the scale of the project.

Regards all

John

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 19:45. by John Hannon »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
My last August.
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 19:49. »
Heaven help us if that were to ever happen, we were in Quesada the other day - building work around there is greater than I have seen in any area for years - all at 2005 prices by the look of it but with some quite sharp designs. Its just the thought of thousands of extra people trying to get on the Carabassi in August (gulp)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BeachLife

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
My last August.
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 19:56. »
Bloody hell-you'd never get on the beach!!!!!

Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
My last August.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 20:31. »
I was thinking the other day it's about time the legendary golf course debate was resurrected here my two bobs worth i seriously doubt if any of the plan will happen there are still flats down by the garage that have been part built for years maybe they are waiting for the golf course

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
My last August.
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 21:28. »
We went down Arenales beach lots of times in July, get there early to secure your pitch. By 2pm the beach is nearly deserted  as its siesta time. Lunch at favourite spanish restaurant then back to beach till 7pm, bus back to GA, brilliant days.Better than listening to our Zak, britney and kylie at urb pool.
They dont like it up em !

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
My last August.
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 23:46. »
Agree with your first post on this thread, Rich.  If you don't have to August it ...........? Don't!!!
The other aspect is that any bar owner has to try to coin enough in the summer to last through the long long period when the rent is the same, the electricity bill is higher, & the customers are far fewer.
It sort of suggests that any custom is good custom, but lots will disagree (me included)