Author Topic: Cost of shipping cars  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Russell

Cost of shipping cars
« on: May 06, 2017, 12:33. »
Hi Everyone
Looking to get my car shipped from U.K to Alicante. Wondered if anybody has some idea on costs and had the experience.
Would be good to have any feedback.
Russell T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Cost of shipping cars
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 12:39. »
Why not drive yourself. Le Haver or Caen to GA

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Cost of shipping cars
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 12:41. »

Why not drive yourself. Le Haver or Caen to GA two days

Offline Ash

• Supreme Member
Cost of shipping cars
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 13:06. »
Russell
The cost of shipping isn't the only issue
You will have the reregistering cost + the cost of changing your head lights and the issue of driving a RHD car

In the long run it may be easier to get a Spanish car here

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Cost of shipping cars
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 17:15. »
Cost me about £580 a few years ago Russel. Picked the car back up off the transporter in the GA CC took about 4 days. I shopped around for the best price - if you want to go ahead let me know I'll dig out the old emails. As Ash says don't forget to add import duty. Mine wasn't expensive as it was Spanish registered, I bought it off someone in the U.K. that had come home. The transport co didn't mind us filling the car to the roof with stuff we wanted to bring over so that was a useful bonus

BeachLife

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Cost of shipping cars
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 18:14. »
We didn't pay import duty, or paid a massively reduced rate on the car we imported
I'm going back about 10 years so I can't remember the exact details, but any of the companies who do this for you will have all the details. You can only do this once, it has to be your car and you can only do it within x months of signing the padron.
Is RHD a problem in Spain, in my opinion no, on saying that I don't drive down the 332 like Ayrton Senna wanting to overtake everyone.....if I did it would be a problem without a trustworthy co pilot in the passenger seat, I don't go out a lot by myself and drive into car parks where you need entry/exit tickets or down toll roads where you need to collect tickets and pay tolls.
The insurance didn't seem to be any more expensive than neighbours with LHD cars were paying.
Let's face it your head is only about 3 foot from where it would be in a LHD car, you just have to think about your position on the road at junctions to get a good line of sight.

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Russell

Cost of shipping cars
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 10:48. »
Great thanks for all the feedback.
Will have a think on best option. Do they need change the headlights or just adjust them. Car has the xenon headlights so not even sure  if they can just be adjusted. I would imagine this will be the same  for our Vespas too.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Cost of shipping cars
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 10:59. »
The "adjustment" will stop you dazzling oncoming traffic but in most cases will not pass the ITV.
Speak to someone like this and you'll get the full and correct details
http://www.spanish-number-plates.com/

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Russell

Cost of shipping cars
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 11:05. »
Will check it out.
Thanks John.

Offline jdr

Cost of shipping cars
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 17:08. »
Hi
We have just had a quote from HOWELLs the cost of getting our Mazda MX5 from Gateshead to GA £850 or if we got it down to Ashford Kent £650, so we are driving back via Pompey -Bilbao, good times 8 30am from Pompey where we have friends from GA, Bilbao arrive 2 pm, be in GA by 10 pm with luck, and we will be  taking it back after the 6 month legal limit not like many cars driving round GA breaking the law in Spain, some have still British & Jersey plates on never been out of GA in 12 years no MOT / ITV so insurance invalid if these cars hit your car or grandchildren they will be locked up for a long time, no ITV road tax in any country, these people would never think of breaking the law in UK but think the law here in Spain is there to be broken, our under ground car park has many such cars
Cheers
Jim

Offline Russell

Cost of shipping cars
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 00:50. »
Thanks for the info Jim, I will contact them.