Author Topic: Sump Pump  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Kim Watts

Sump Pump
« on: March 12, 2017, 19:08. »
Dear All
Please could anybody advise on the following.
Recently on a second viewing and finding a property in Gran Alicant that we wish to try purchase, we noticed it has a Sump Pump in the garage/basement area which gives us cause for concern on potential high water table issues and potential flooding. There are also minor areas of damp to two internal areas of the wall within this area and when mentioning this to the agents we were advised this is normal for houses with garage/basement areas within this particular urbanisation being built in 2004. There is a large sloped driveway from the boundary gates that lead down to the garage door although there is no drain gulley or grate in place, suggesting during rainfall the garage may well flood hence the need for the sump pump needing to be in place. Being as the property is also on top of the hill within this urbanisation surely the water table would be considerably lower than the need for any sump pump. We would appreciate any valuable advise on if this should give reason for concern before purchasing this property. We also mentioned a survey being carried out on the property to be advised by the agents, the general opinion in Spain is there is no need for a surveyor and surveys are rarely ever carried out, is this correct?
Worth mentioning, our own driveway in the UK is also sloped towards the house but clearly has a gulley spanning the driveway for drainage, hence my concern.

Kind Regards
Russell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Sump Pump
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 21:28. »
Don't know about sump pump though it fairly rains when it does it is pretty spectacular and a huge amount of water can fall we had our downstairs hall flood once years ago before we had outside path sloped away and fitted rain deflectors etc

On the damp it's not a surprise the houses out have have poor insulation and without central heating on it winter months it's probably inevitable I drove down a few years ago with some Thomson water seal and painted the areas where we saw it with that and have had no problems since

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Sump Pump
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 22:33. »
We are at the bottom the hill Russell, we have never had a damp patch and the underground garage has never flooded, drainage gulleys are in place.
I'd look for another property, there are plenty on the market.
If I were buying I would be having a survey done.
Don't forget, no sale no pay for the agents, they are acting for the themselves and the seller not you

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Sump Pump
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 23:33. »
You wouldnt buy a house in the UK without having a survey so why go to a foreign country with different property laws with all documentation in spanish and not take the necessary precautions against being fleeced.
My best advice Russell after buying several properties over many years is doubt everything your told, trust no one. Whilst there are many including on this forum who will give good sound advice, there are many more who given the opportunity will take the shirt off your back.
They dont like it up em !

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Sump Pump
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 09:03. »
I hope the "sump pump" had the capacity to cope with yesterday's deluge and an uninterrupted power supply

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Sump Pump
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 11:24. »
Yes john looking at the photos I reckon it got a good run out yesterday