Author Topic: Whats Torrevieja got that Gran Alacant hasn't?  (Read 2967 times)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Whats Torrevieja got that Gran Alacant hasn't?
« on: February 15, 2017, 17:30. »
Whenever I see a TV programme "A Place in The Sun" and similar programmes they either feature the Javia/Denia area or Torrevieja..............GA doesnt get a mention!!

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 17:37. »
I think its best we keep GA a secret John.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Offline tonybeach

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 17:56. »
When my son and I came house hunting to Spain in 2003 for a family holiday home we wanted somewhere in easy reach of Alicante airport and the one thing that my limited reading/research had convinced us was that of location location location. This was the most important criteria to get right. The research suggested to us that Torrevieja fitted this requirement. Gran Alacant never got a mention. Thank goodness the rep from Masa International convinced us to look at Gran Alacant. We bought of plan and moved in in July 2005
Knowing what I know now I suspect that if we had bought in Torrevieja we would have sold up by now (and lost money)
As it is 12 years on since we moved in we would not swop, the whole family (wife 4 children and spouses and now 6 grandchildren) thoroughly enjoy GA when ever we visit whatever time of the year. The wife and I will be in GA again next week and both are excited about the trip as we always are.
We have friends and other family members who also come and stay with us and they think GA and all its amenities, community spirit and its location are fantastic

Offline Chris C

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 18:47. »
Just sat and watched the latest one this afternoon as got home from work early. Quesada does look very nice and the property at La Marina looked okay. I have yet to see anything on place in the sun that I would want to swap for GA!

Offline sunseeker

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 19:01. »
I am still at work but have this show on record so will watch later tonight. They always go to the same places. Villa Martin, quesada, Torrevieja, amd Denia. They do the same thing in Florida where they always go to Celebration and Kissimee. My theory is that they have links to certain estate agents which is why they always go back to the same places. I am sure in one fo the Florida episodes they actually went back to the same apartment complex. It may also explain why when the client specifies something like sea view with a close community they take them to a remote farmhouse in the hills. My own top three personal wishes would be solarium, all day sun and a communal pool with grass. Oh and no more than 5 mins by car to the sea. What would other people ask for ? (You all probably have got what you want and are already living the dream) .

Offline Chris C

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 19:03. »
I am still at work but have this show on record so will watch later tonight. They always go to the same places. Villa Martin, quesada, Torrevieja, amd Denia. They do the same thing in Florida where they always go to Celebration and Kissimee. My theory is that they have links to certain estate agents which is why they always go back to the same places. I am sure in one fo the Florida episodes they actually went back to the same apartment complex. It may also explain why when the client specifies something like sea view with a close community they take them to a remote farmhouse in the hills. My own top three personal wishes would be solarium, all day sun and a communal pool with grass. Oh and no more than 5 mins by car to the sea. What would other people ask for ? (You all probably have got what you want and are already living the dream) .

Altomar II then haha

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 19:06. »
GA was featured on one of these programmes several years ago, think it was APITS but not sure, but I don't think I have ever seen another feature, probably doesn't come across as 'glitzy' enough which suits me fine, agree with previous posts that we have a well kept secret and maybe should keep it that way
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 19:22. »
You've just made me smile re solarium Sunseeker, that was high on our list.....we only go up there now to peg the washing out!!
The friends we have made, from our dancing, who live in Quesada and the areas around Torrevieja absolutely love it, lots of things to do and they all comment on the great community spirit in the areas they live in.

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 19:24. »
Oh sorry, on my list a warmer winter climate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Maricia

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 19:24. »
GA was featured on one of these programmes several years ago, think it was APITS but not sure, but I don't think I have ever seen another feature, probably doesn't come across as 'glitzy' enough which suits me fine, agree with previous posts that we have a well kept secret and maybe should keep it that way

The episode of A Place in the Sun which featured a townhouse in GA has been on TV a few times (I have seen it repeated) and they viewed a townhouse behind the main road with the banks etc and the person looking was put off by the barking dogs. Good job they don't film near us with the numerous barking dogs!

They said GA is 10 mins from the City of Alicante too 😁

BW

Maricia

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 19:28. »
Yes, that's the one I watched, did they not also complain a bit about aircraft noise?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline sunseeker

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 19:29. »
Ha, I am obssessed with Solariums. I can see the worst property on that show but a big sun drenched solarium I'm there! Someone mentioned altomar 2. I stayed in one of the altomars. It was a house on the main road goign up the hill, on the corner of the road on the left that leads to the swimming pool. You are right it had a nice pool and nice solarium. 3 bathrooms I think too. Very nice all round.  I also like novamar 2, moreso the pool. I have just booked one of those villas with the curved balconies on the main road opposite Gabe market for June. My dream is to buy one but that would mean having that as my main home and a smaller one here and I am probably too young to take that risk at the moment. Anyway, it will be fun road testing it.

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 23:02. »
We are addicted to 'A place in the sun' and must have seen them all....except the one featuring GA!
On the few occasions we've been over to look at properties, we've been as far down as Sierra Golf, La Torre Golf and Mar Menor Golf Resort.
We also stopped at a few other places but never looked around Villamartin, Quesada, La Marina etc.
They always had a bad reputation as far as we were aware!
However, I have to admit that they look ok on the TV.
We will probably have a look next time we are in GA, probably in June.....just as much to rule them out as rule them in.

We're pretty settled on wanting one of the new style 'eco' houses so that we've more chance of using it through the winter.....although by the sounds of it, this one has been quite bad at times in GA.

I'll have to search for the programme with GA in it. We still haven't found anywhere we like as much.

Cheers
Davy !!!

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 08:40. »
The major downside of GA remaining a secret location is the property market which has been dire for years, most 1st generation purchasers are sitting on a financial loss 15 years later, this is down to high local supply and low demand.
I was talking with an estate agent from Javea last year his agency had worked with place in the sun several times but along with several other javea agencies had told them to stick there tv show. The reason being that the production company get the agencies to do all the work, opening up numerous properties several times for filming, then only 4 are picked for viewing. The agent said no sale had ever been completed by him or any other to his knowledge in javea, a lot of effort for no reward.
Agree with John there a roof solarium was a must have, reality being hard to maintain and keep clean but excellent for storage and washing.
They dont like it up em !

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 08:44. »
They said GA is 10 mins from the City of Alicante too 😁

Maricia
Probably is if you're Lewis Hamilton.

There thing that swung it for us was the beach and proximity of the airport. Because of the orientation of the runway, I don't find aircraft noise intrusive and my balcony faces the airport. Mine is up for sale if there are any plane-spotters out there. ;)