Author Topic: Speed Trap  (Read 2385 times)

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Speed Trap
« on: January 06, 2017, 13:13. »
Hello all,

If you are not already aware the police have a radar check on the N332 just past Santa Pola that seems to be there at least a couple of times a week around 10am to midday. An unmarked car is parked either on the raised island at the left turn to the beach just past Pola Park or at the entrance to the saltworks. The aim - and I know from experience before Christmas - is to catch anyone who does not observe the speed reduction from 80 to 60kph at these two points.
You drive blissfully on until just past the tower where there is a point on the right where you can be pulled in safely and receive your fixed penalty. €50 if paid within 20 days or €100 if you don't.

If you get stuck behind someone observing the speed limit on the N332, apologies in advance.

Dave

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Speed Trap
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 15:07. »
Thanks for the heads up Dave

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Up the iron

Speed Trap
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 15:17. »
Typical Plod. Nothing better to do.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Speed Trap
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 15:25. »
How very odd, you could always just obey the law or does the thousands of deaths on spanish roads linked to excess speed mean nothing as long as you get wherever that bit sooner.
They dont like it up em !

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Speed Trap
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 18:17. »
I feel a bit of context is required here.

This was my first driving offence (including parking) since I passed my test in 1969 and I pride myself on being a careful and considerate driver.

When I was caught I was 5th in a line of 5 cars with two motorbikes behind me, the weather was dry, clear and sunny and the road was very quiet. We were all in convoy with none of the usual tailgating by the resident lunatic and certainly not speeding per se although we were going faster than the law allows at that point. We passed the salt works at 78kph; and were all pulled in.

Whilst delivering what I assume is the normal rebuke in these circumstances the very polite traffic officer explained the reason for the 60kph limit was because heavily laden salt wagons slowly exiting the works were a potential hazard; I pointed out that anyone who could pass the driving eyesight test could see one of these wagons a good kilometer away on this long straight stretch of road and could slow down gently with plenty of time. His demeanor altered straight away and the ticket soon followed. When I left all the other culprits were still arguing long and hard.

This isn't sour grapes, I was exceeding the speed limit and got caught; as they say a fair cop and ordinarily Victor I would agree with your point of view but speed checks at this point are nothing but a fantastic milk cow for the police and nothing whatsoever to do with catching and stopping dangerous driving.

Yesterday I and the 4 restless cars behind me escaped the trap but the ones behind them that caught us up after the left turn to the beach were all pulled in.

Dave

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Speed Trap
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 19:09. »
Amazing talk about let him who is without sin cast the first stone Everybody occasionally exceeds the speed limit you may not mean to but in traffic all doing the same speed you creep up to their speed unwittingly

Can't be doing with the holier than thou brigade we are all guilty just not all been caught yet

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Speed Trap
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 20:19. »
It's the variable limits that confuse me - there must be 5 different limits on Ave Escandanavia between the school and the left turn to Masa square

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BeachLife

Offline llamedos

• Galactic Member
Speed Trap
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 21:16. »
Typical Plod. Nothing better to do.

If they're trafico then thats the job they get paid to do, they don't keep the fine money as it pays for the policeman's ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Speed Trap
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 21:26. »
Hardly holier than thou, i just struggle to understand how you can unwittingly as you put it, do 18 kph above the speed limit, your either in control of your car or your not its black and white really.As for everyone speeds occasionly i choose not to, i respect the law of the country shame others cant or wont.
 As for typical plod nothing better to do another lack of respect for a country we all stay in, you could always stay in the uk if unhappy with the rules of the land.

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Speed Trap
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 21:39. »
Like I said holier than thou

Show me a person who has never exceeded the speed limit I will show you a non driver .

We have all done it at one time on another just some of us have got away with it

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Speed Trap
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 21:58. »
Show me a person who has never exceeded the speed limit I will show you a non driver .

Youve never followed Mrs H down the 332 Spurs.........there's normaly about 20 cars behind her  ;)

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Speed Trap
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 22:15. »
Bit different to my Mrs John it's like being in the car with Lewis Hamilton !!!!! Mind you she won't drive in Spain to anywhere else abroad for that matter to quote her that's what I'm for .. hmm nice to have some sort of status though

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Speed Trap
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 22:22. »
Sorry John looks as though youve got to tell Mrs H shes now a non driver.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Speed Trap
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 22:29. »
I dont say a word about her driving Victor..........I value my teeth  ;)

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Speed Trap
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 11:59. »
It's the variable limits that confuse me - there must be 5 different limits on Ave Escandanavia between the school and the left turn to Masa square

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drives me bonkers that road.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk