Author Topic: GranNet Routers  (Read 3293 times)

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
GranNet Routers
« on: January 05, 2017, 14:28. »
Hi

Thinking of changing to GranNet for my high speed broadband, We have a system with GA TV which I have been generally happy with over the years, quite quick and stable. However as I may have mentioned in the past GA TV have disabled the WPS button on the routers they provide and I now really need to use a TP Link range extender to keep a strong signal to the front upper floor bedroom. without the booster the Wi-Fi just isnt strong enough to get through the walls.

Has anyone used a range extender on GranNet using the WPS button ? Does it work ?

BeachLife

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
GranNet Routers
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 15:41. »
Excuse the ignorance on this subject Rich......can't you use a better quality router than that supplied by GATV?
At home in the UK I was with Tesco, their router was useless, I replaced it with a Netgear one, problem solved, wifi throughout the house.

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
GranNet Routers
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 16:00. »
Good point - I had it in my mind that the router for GA TV had to be set up and confirgured by them - I have a spare one at home (a old SKY one) that the WPS button works on so I'll give that a try first.
BeachLife

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
GranNet Routers
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 12:53. »
Afternoon Rich,
I've recently added Grannet TV to the phone and BB package I already had and in the process my router was renewed. The new one is a TP Link but there is nothing on it that you could call a button that you could press - only a display of flashing green lights. I'm not at all a techy regarding this sort of thing - for me if it doesn't work I phone them up so not sure if this helps.
The router is downstairs and although the contract states "up to 100Mbs" in practice I get about 40Mbs ish as an average. Upstairs in the back bedroom the signal varies and I have just run a test of download 13Mbs, upload 15Mbs and a ping? of72ms. This is good enough for what I want at the moment.
Hope this helps
Dave

Offline Keith and Jen

GranNet Routers
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 17:36. »
We had the same problem of weak Wi-Fi signal upstairs.  I extended the cable that comes into the house and connects to the TP-Link router by using a 15 metre 'drop cable' and an RJ45/RJ45 connector (see links below). The router was then positioned at the top of the first floor stairwell instead of in the lounge.  I can get a signal all over the house now including the top terrace.

I tried to get the in-line coupler from the various internet providers and computer shop in GA and also Media Markt but was unsuccessful.  I bought the connector in the UK and brought it over on the next visit.

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg03122/cat5-lead-15m-white/dp/AV18672

http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/70421re/coupler-rj45-cat6-in-line/dp/AV11885

Keith
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 17:39. by Keith and Jen »
Experience is what you get just after you need it.

Offline martin

GranNet Routers
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 14:12. »
With Grannet and had the same problem but bought two plug in 'wifi extenders'. Now have signal in basement and upstairs. Work perfectly. Lots of options on amazon. Ones I bought on following link.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/XINGDONGCHI-Wireless-N-Repeater-Expander-Antennas/dp/B01E3DQTHW/ref=sr_1_39?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1483881022&sr=1-39&keywords=wireless+extender+wifi

Regards
Martin

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
GranNet Routers
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 15:21. »
Thanks Martin - useful that confirms I can pair up my range extenders to the Grannet router - cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BeachLife

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
GranNet Routers
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 20:05. »
Might sound obvious Rich, but have you discussed the problem with GATV?
I've always found that they go the extra mile to help you

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
GranNet Routers
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 22:10. »
I have John. It's their policy to disable the WPS button to reduce the load (by having extra devices) on their bandwidth

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 22:27. by Rich and Sue »
BeachLife

Offline David D

• Supreme Member
GranNet Routers
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 06:17. »
I bought a netgear range extender,&I paired it with my router online because I couldn't pair it using the wps button.
Dave

Offline Bumpkinblue

GranNet Routers
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 19:40. »
Do GATV not supply something that can be used to extend the range of the wifi? Surely they're missing a trick there if anyone can buy a wifi extender rather than supply it themselves?

Offline john and sue

GranNet Routers
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 17:40. »
Powerline adapters are a good alternative to range extenders. They transmit the internet signal though the mains electricity circuit in your house. Easy to set up. You plug one in near the router, with an ethernet lead to one of its ports. You plug the other wherever it's needed and then plug whatever you need into that (e.g. a computer, smart TV or another wireless router).

The devices need to be plugged directly into a mains socket, i.e. not via an extension cable or double adapter. If that's a problem you can buy a version in with a pass-through so that you could plug something else, e.g. an extension cable, into the back of the device. Goes without saying that in Spain they need to be for euro sockets, not UK  ;)

You can also have multiple of these if you need to extend into different parts of the house.

Here's an example (without pass-through): https://www.amazon.es/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-extensor-el%C3%A9ctrica-configuraci%C3%B3n/dp/B00A0VBPLM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1486830651&sr=8-5&keywords=powerline+adapter