Author Topic: Moving to gran alacant and new business!  (Read 15877 times)

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Moving to gran alacant and new business!
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2016, 22:27. »
Totally agree John the benefit of local knowledge is absolutely priceless, as always any body's opinion who doesnt follow the clique is regarded a doomsayer. The reality despite what old editors with a vested interest would have us believe is that the majority of businesses in GA go broke within 2 years and that is a fact like it or not.
Regarding Barloko which is our local these boys have a little goldmine but don't they have to earn it, they're busy 52 weeks of the year selling pints of beer at 2 euros and wine at 1 euro, small margin but massive volume, whereas the carabassi resembles the marie celeste for 20 weeks of the year, if you gave it away you would still struggle to find a customer.
Incidentally Barloko i believe have never advertised hence the clique stays quiet.
They dont like it up em !

Offline gunner

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2016, 22:41. »
Well said Victor. Totally agree 100% with all you have said.

Offline Navantospain

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2016, 23:06. »
look guys I just asked for advice from people on the ground, I've done my homework, we are not stupid, this is not a decision taken lightly or with the mindset to fail, I really didn't expect such a negative response, it's really making me rethink things, with all new business should come local support, and I do hope if we continue with our new venture we will be well recieved!

Offline denandrose

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2016, 01:11. »
Just to re assure you, we live up the hill on Avd Escandinavia and there are several bar restaurants that have been open for many years, for example Tablau los Lunares, El Paripe., Cocoa's, Dragon 2 is open every day of the year, Patagonia Steak House, most of the time. Some places reduce hours in winter as there are fewer people around, but we appreciate the ones that do stay open and give them our custom. We don't go to the Carabassi area much except for Tres Besos, and have never been to Barloko in the G A Centre as we prefer to go to places within walking distance. We have found that the places that fail are  people that have gone into business with no previous experience of catering or bar management. We wish you all the best in your new venture if you decide to take it on.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 18:34. by denandrose »

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2016, 05:08. »
A bit like buying a second hand car based on a photo of it.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 06:22. »
Will say I do like O'Duills , good position, catches the winter sun, it does heave on Karaoke nights, present owners are great.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2016, 08:44. »
If, as has been said on this thread previously, there are a few bars up for sale why dont you view some of the others in different locations in GA. It sounds like Altomar 2 has more residents in the Winter.  You may as well take the time to look whilst you are over and get feedback from more locals if you can. We don't visit in Winter very often but I agree it is very quiet on Carabassi strip in Winter. We tend to drive up the hill just to see people!! Saying that, I prefer Carabassi bars in the summer. They are all close together and feel more buzzy (but just my opinion!!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2016, 08:53. »
I dont know about "fewer" people around in the winter some areas are deserted. This is the issue with a forum everyone has an opinion and i like most genuinely wish you the best of luck in your new venture. But The reality of business ownership in GA over the last 10 years cant be ignored or rewritten, businesses fail every year unless ive missed something. Even a wealth of experience and deep pockets cant find a customer that doesn't exist.

Offline Barry former GA Advertiser

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2016, 13:08. »
Thank you Navanto for your private email to me. Will correspond via that.

Offline Maricia

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2016, 18:39. »
Good luck to you all on your new adventure :) Personally I think that the bar is in a great spot for the winter with the sun terrace and with good food & drinks people will make the trip down.
BW
Maricia

Offline denandrose

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 18:54. »
We disagree that GA is deserted in winter, yes there are fewer holiday makers and some permanent residents go back to their home countries for the Chrustmas holiday but there are still people about, maybe it seems empty because some of the bars and restaurants take their holidays in winter. Some places have realised that there is custom about but these tend to be restaurants rather than bars. You also do not need to charge one and two Euros for your drinks and food, some are prepared to pay for better quality it boils down to who you want to attract into wherever you chose , we personally prefer to go to places with no TV overpowering conversation, but wouldn't say we would never go to one, many people like entertainment.
Ask why bars have closed, maybe it's because there are many more now than a few years ago, so choose wisely, work hard and you will succeed. Best of luck.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 22:01. »
Thats better ive just found my rose tinted spectacles, its january im upstairs at the shirley basey and there are now double the people, oh damn its just my reflection. Incidentally there are 3/4 bars in GA which have a big customer base, all in different parts of ga but one thing in common, cheap beer. Also where are all these new bars that weren't around several years ago please tell, the only thing that's new is the name as the previous owner went bust due to no customers for 5 months of the year.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 22:15. »
We live in a little seaside town in Yorkshire, in the winter it's dead, and I mean dead other than weekend visitors, however compared to GA it's a hive of activity!!
We've spent evenings in bars at the Shirley Bassey strip when our friends and us have been the only people there!!
Mindst you, when your sat there with your coat on to keep warm it's not conducive to a good night out.

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline denandrose

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2016, 01:18. »
Gran Alacant is not just the Carabassi area, or as some say the Shirley Bassey? What is that about.?. Are we in London with Cockney Ryhming slang or in Spain ?  We are permanent Residents in G A and always have good nights out even in winter, and yes not too many customers in some places, but we still have a great time, but mostly at the weekend, be positive people .

Offline Stan

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2016, 08:37. »
, or as some say the Shirley Bassey? What is that about.?. Are we in London with Cockney Ryhming slang or in Spain ? 
Definitely agree with the above......it has a proper name so why not use it?

As far as opening a new bar is concerned I was under the impession that the current consensus was that the best way to mitigate any losses was to close the bar three months before it opened. :D