Author Topic: Moving to gran alacant and new business!  (Read 15878 times)

Offline kh511

Moving to gran alacant and new business!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 17:16. »
food shop wise - lidl, consum, mercadonia, unide

the school is at the bottom of the hill as far as im aware only school in gran alacant our daughter is going there september, when are you moving out as they are doing registration for september start, im sure you will do well over here, stresfull but enjoyable at the same time

i cant offer a lot of advice as we are still new to the area and still learning ourselves :)

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 17:48. »
As everyone says it is quiet in winter months and you will need something to attract customers in, be it Bingo, karaoke , quizzes, special offers etc.
But O duills is in a good spot and has probably not been getting the owners full attention for past 18 months as they were keen to sell and business fell off a fair bit

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 18:31. »
Good luck. When do you think you will be taking it over?  We will certainly come in for a caña when we are over in August.  The Carabassi bars are our locals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 19:47. »
It might be a stupid question but have you actually seen the bar/its location/competition or been to GA

Regards all

John

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 20:09. by John Hannon »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Navantospain

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 20:37. »
John travelling over this weekend coming to view and make final decision etc, we are researching as much as we can in a practical sense to see if all parts of the jig saw fit for us,

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 22:01. »
Good luck to you.
Hopefully, we'll be in for a pint or 10 very soon!

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2016, 01:08. »
Like many on this forum we have been in GA for best part of 12/14 years, during this time nearly every bar on the carabassi on top ga and at the commercial centre have changed hands or gone bump several times. Weve even had forum threads guessing  the previous names.The bars who are successful are a very small minority. They have a loyal customer base who see them through. The season in ga is short where during the long winters the sun may be shining but the only thing down the Shirley bassey is tumble weed for weeks on end. GA is a brilliant place but commercially difficult to operate in.
They dont like it up em !

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2016, 11:38. »
There is a formula that works but it is hard to repeat - I look at the the way Bar Loko has thrived even during winter, always has people in it even in Nov - March. however its in a good location with lots of footfall around it, a south facing sunny terrace.  modern decor (I think thats key) fair prices and staff that work their socks off the whole time

You need to be "authentic" but punters are looking for something different during the quieter months

I always thought a lot more could have been made of "E'Spigo" (before it shut) myself with its location
BeachLife

Offline Occasional tourist

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 11:53. »
We've enjoyed many visits to O'Duills since it opened in 2005 (I think) - I do like an good Irish bar, preferably run by the Irish (makes a big difference to me). Not that we'd get into that trade, but if we did, it would be one of only a handful of bars in GA we'd consider. I'd say with an injection of enthusiasm and energy, it could be a great success for you. Obviously it's hard work, but you already know that! The fact that you are retiring so young suggests that you have the luxury of not needing an instant return, which in my book is crucial! If you do go for it, we wish you a warm welcome to GA, and every success in your new business!

Offline Barry former GA Advertiser

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2016, 12:28. »
Well said occasional tourist. Some run a bar by sitting on the beach and paying others in wages and contracts. Some run it themselves with much less outgoings. Wrong of someone who will not reveal their name, maybe effecting someones business sale. Mariel and Chris tell me that the bar IS NOT SOLD.

Offline Navantospain

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2016, 13:11. »
Thanks so much for all of the info! Don't worry Barry the negative comments wouldn't turn us off they were expected as much as the good ones, very much looking forward to visiting the property and hopefully making it ours, we are not stupid we have done the research we know things are still tough in Europe, but trade is picking up,
I'm very much looking forward to the challenge! The pub looks amazing exactly what we want, and I'm not taking heed of the boo hoo Gang we will figure it all out for ourselves as we go along!! Anyway!! The business is my least concern!! I wanted to know about the hairdressers supermarket and schools!!!!

Offline Barry former GA Advertiser

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2016, 13:59. »
Navantospain, you will love it here. So many lovely people and only a few to avoid. We started up the local magazine and ran it very successfully for 12 years before selling it on. Seen lots of comings and goings and if I can help you in any way, do not hesitate to ask me to pass on my good and bad experiences.
So good to see that you have a very sensible head.

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2016, 13:59. »
Theres a tiny supermarket practically next door to Oduills for your basics.  You have Mercadona Lidls and Consum all together at the entrance to GA and Unide (nee Maxcoop) middle GA. Quicksave, selling english food, top GA.  Supermarkets galore. My favs are Mercadona Lidls and Unide.  Theres even an Iceland if you drive to La Marina. Also a street market in Thursdays. Cant help with how good the schools are or hairdressers but they are here!!

Casa De Valen Med II

Offline gunner

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2016, 16:05. »
Barry its got nothing to do with you what my name is or what bar i own. Some one asked a question and i gave them my opinion backed by over 15 years living in Spain (Thats what  forums are for) I did not if you read my replay properly mention any bar by name It was a replay based on owning a bar full stop. If you have a problem with this im more than happy to discus this with you face to face rather than on a Forum.   

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2016, 17:19. »
I'm still dumbfounded, unless I've got it wrong, that someone is talking on a forum about buying a bar they've never seen in a place they've not been to.
Nothing like a bit of due diligence

Regards all

John

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."