Author Topic: Would you do it all again???  (Read 4837 times)

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
Would you do it all again???
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 11:08. »
We actually did do it all again.  After selling our little flat in 2006 we found ourselvesin a position to be able to buy again last year.  We were up the hill initially and looked both up and down, staying in a friends villa down the hill, we did find down the hill like a ghost town in the winter as john said but up the hill was busier and still has a decent community living there winter time. As we hope to retire there and will at least end up spending half time we decided on up the hill. GA is still our favourite place up and down the coast and we also decided against more house for our money and went for location location location. Good luck dleafy.
Hazel

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 11:38. »
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
I don't think the winter would bother me at all. The weather...whatever it is will always be better than here in the North East.

As for it being quieter in GA in the winter?.....Good!...We want a holiday home but won't be partying 'every' night (six out of seven is enough for anyone)  ;D
It's great to get other peoples stories and opinions. It really helps.

Cheers

Davy !!!

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 13:26. »
We did it all again as well. Had a place on upper monte y mar and are now near Carabassi bars. We liked upper but prefer being on the flat, walking to the beach. Everyone has their own preferences.  Love it here.  I can have a 3 week summer holiday in my little palace near a beautiful beach for almost half the price of what friends pay to holiday for a fortnight elsewhere.  We go somewhere else for a bit of sun in the winter. I am very happy with our decision to buy again and stay in GA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Keith and Jen

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 07:58. »
We prefer it in the winter - very quiet.  Unfortunately some of the cafes and restaurants are closed.  There can be an icy wind at times but in the sun and out of the wind it can be like an English summer.  The temperature drops quickly in the late afternoon when the sun gets low but like some of our Spanish  neighbours we have a woodburning stove.  As others have said there has been no attempt to design insulated houses but a rug in front of the settee and alongside the bed makes a big difference.

We live on Brisamar and enjoy a brisk walk to and from the beach or to Santa Pola through the wilderness.  It's too hot for that in summer.

Keith
Experience is what you get just after you need it.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 12:36. »
We bought our first house in GA nearly 14 years ago on Monte Mar when i was 35, this house was as a holiday home which has provided a huge amount of brilliant holidays since. There was a time when flights were really cheap and we would fly out on a friday after work and return late sunday evening. Now we are stuck with school terms so less flexibility. The beaches around GA are brilliant,  the location is also excellent,  sadly we stopped coming out  to GA from November until April simply because the weather could be a bit hit or miss and the temperature a bit low in the persistent wind.Also the permanent residents seem to go into hibernation and you can walk down streets and all you see is tumble weed it really can be like the marie celeste in winter with many bars and restaurants completely shut, some destined never to reopen. If you speak with most bar owners they all say its a long winter, there a few exceptions which do well all year.Thats why many go elsewhere around the world during the winter. Again each to there own some may like it quiet.
They dont like it up em !

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 21:04. »
Flying out on a Friday after work and back again on Sunday sounds great. Wish flights were cheap enough to do that now!
Or I didn't have to work....either is good  :)