Author Topic: Would you do it all again???  (Read 4838 times)

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Would you do it all again???
« on: May 13, 2016, 21:11. »
As we begin our journey (hopefully soon) of buying a property in Spain....If you had your time again....would you buy in Spain?

Cheers

Davy !!!

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 21:14. »
No, too cold in the winter.
I'd buy in Tenerife.

On saying that we've had some great times here and will have many more

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 21:23. by John Hannon »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 21:24. »
Never regretted it.

Offline MICKKAT

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 21:37. »
Loved every minute of it.  Having travelled all over Spain and the Canaries, in our opinion no better Beach than Aranales.  Take the point though about being cold in winter.

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 21:45. »
It's funny people mentioning the cold winters.
We used to go to Benidorm every January with the parents and used to comment on how the local went round wearing heavy coats, whilst we wore tee shirts!
I guess you get used to it being warm in the summer and the winters appear freezing.
We did go to Benalmadena one year and it snowed....Now that was a shock to the system.
Anyway, that's why I asked about central heating a while back.
Fore-warned is fore-armed!

Cheers

Davy !!!

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 09:51. »
Definitely

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 09:56. »
Yes but definitely here we spent a long time looking in various places but the beach drew us best in Spain in my opinion

Offline Joe1965

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 10:06. »
Yes absolutely.

It's not so much the cold winters more , in my opinion, the lack of insulation in houses.

Most important is the sunshine that is abundant all year round and the benfits this brings to health and well being.

Offline Chris C

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 13:16. »
Only owned in GA since Nov last year, been coming out for a good few years to stay with friends... But every time I come I feel more certain that I did the right thing buying and at the right time. I just think despite the large population there it is still somewhat a 'hidden gem'

Chris

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 16:56. »
A mate was round last night saying it would be best to buy a house in the Uk and rent it out. Then use the rent you get to pay for holidays wherever you want. When I told him it was going to be a holiday home for around ten years before we retire and wouldn't be renting it out when we're not there he said we were mad.
I get what he's saying, but we aren't planning to buy in GA to make money. For us, it's a lifestyle choice.

We can't wait to start. But this will be our first trip there and I don't  plan to make a decision based on one trip. I'm sure we'll be back a few times before we choose.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 17:08. »
One word of advice mate, what you want now might not be what you want when you retire.
When you are working the peace and quiet of GA in the winter months is something to look forward to, when you are retired you might want something a bit livelier......it can be like a ghost town here in the winter....all it needs is tumbleweed blowing down the street to complete the picture

Regards all

John

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 17:28. »
Thanks John, but we won't be giving up our January Caribbean holiday regardless of where we live!  :)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 17:31. »
Good for you

Offline Maricia

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 09:44. »
We would definitely do it again but would do it very different (hindsight & all that), However, over the last 10 years we have seen many people come & go. Also we have seen many people move away from GA to places like La Marina and further down the coast as you get more house for your money. But personally we prefer GA.
Maricia

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 10:17. »
I think John hit the nail on the head regarding your "tolerance"  to the seasons - it all depends on your personal circumstances.

I was 45 when we bought and it was (is) always somewhere for myself and my family to escape the pressure of day to day life in the Uk, some great sunshine and - most importantly well served with flights, short transfers and close to the beach. The quiet winters dont bother me in the slightest - its never quiet in Alicante City for sure - and going for a walk on a sunny a pleasant January morning is a huge boost to me.

The Canaries would have been nice but was way out of my price range back in 2005, almost double for less space and with 4 hour flights it would never have been used half as much as Casa Lauren.

Regrets - none whatsoever
BeachLife