Author Topic: Gas Central Heating ???  (Read 10879 times)

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2016, 10:24. »
I'd like a South facing house, or a West, but as long as its got a good roof terrace its not the biggest problem in the world.

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 10:36. »
Haha, not often you'll hear a northerner favouring the south but i am also agreeing with john here, we bought in the sunniest facing position andalso have glassing in on the porch, never had that before and its fab,
becuase the sun is lower in the winter it comes fully onto the porch and when we have aired out on the morning and have then closed the back windows, we leave the front windows open when we go out, this heats the whole flat really well.
Also in the summer the sun is higher and at the highest time although still fully on the garden all day, it misses most of the porch, and the glass is tinted which keeps the heat more subdued, all round win win.  We have aircon with heat and have not actually used it yet as heat and were out december and february this year, although the weather was fab so maybe we were extra lucky, but finding it very economical at the moment.
Hazel

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2016, 10:51. »
Mine is south facing brilliant in winter we can still use terrace etc and provides some good free heat . I spoke to somebody out in GA last year who was making his own solar heating system to heat his place for free in winter he had all the designs etc . L have never seen him again so he is either tucked up nice and warm or it went wrong and he blew the roof off!!!

I would love to know if anyone had actually got one of these things to work fully and efficiently giving free heat and water

Offline Barry former GA Advertiser

Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2016, 12:14. »
Always been told that the Spanish will not buy a south facing house.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2016, 13:56. »
All my Spanish neighbours must be real rebels in that case ☀️

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2016, 14:22. »
Much depends whether you live here or only come to your holiday home in the winter months. It is surprising all of the different views you hear when you have lived here full time for 14 years. Many Brits will not even come here in July August, which to us is the best time of the year. Lunch on the beach every day and a swim in the lovely med.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2016, 14:52. »
I've got a south facing house and its been fine even when it's really hot, its a winner in the winter, in January when we arrived the house was 62°despite it having no heat ob for months, the sun warms the front and side wall, the front garden has its own microclimate and reaches 70 even in January

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2016, 21:42. »
Quite odd what people consider a deal breaker when purchasing a property, like dleafy the roof terrace was a must 12 years ago, we bought a house with a huge roof solarium with panoramic views, and guess what we hardly ever go up there i think the rose tinted glasses won the day.
They dont like it up em !

Offline martin

Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2016, 23:17. »
Does anyone know how the GCH has been installed in the villas in Mont Y Mar and if fitting has been completed satisfactorily?

Martin

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2016, 08:01. »
My balcony is north facing and in the summer months it is still habitable. As for the Spanish only buying north facing properties, from my observations, they buy south facing and then plant a forest to block out the sun.

Offline ian-steele

• Supreme Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2016, 11:18. »
perhaps we have the best of both worlds, south facing for warmth for lounge @ patio's and north facing for our bedrooms. though it is cold in winter in bedrooms, so we put on a halogen heater 10 mins before bedtime and the trusted electric blanket !
people who live in glass houses should undress in the dark !

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2016, 12:51. »
I like the idea of an electric blanket. We have one here in the uk........Mind, we don't use it during the last week of July and first week of August  :P

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2016, 14:03. »
I think if I was buying now central heating would not be high on my agenda if it had fair enough if not wouldn't bother retrofitting . South facing would be a must

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2016, 15:33. »
I'm definitely thinking South facing now. It does make sense to me.
Good job I joined this forum.
thanks for playing.

Cheers

Davy !!!

Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2016, 16:37. »
Everybody has a different view because they have different circumstances. If you live here all year  you see the sun many many days of the year. If you have a holiday home and only use it for a few weeks per year, you obviously need to see the sun when you use it. But if you have to purchase central heating just to use it for the winter period I think you will have bought in the wrong country. Best to buy in the Canaries where we always went in the winter when we were in the uk, so that you get the winter sun, without the gas or central heating. You pays your money and you takes your choice. Live here all year and will see more than enough sun every day in the winter, on the beach!