Author Topic: Banking Issues  (Read 9520 times)

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Banking Issues
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 16:20. »
Yes, you don't say which bank you are with but at the very least I would expect that is what you will need to do. You may also be asked to complete a declaration and/or provide some other documentation. As I said above, each bank appears to be going about this in their own way.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Banking Issues
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 19:02. »
When I came over in April I asked about this in Sabadell and they said they didn't need anything??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Banking Issues
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 19:37. »
You just need nie and pass port  its quiet painless

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Banking Issues
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2015, 10:15. »
For us it was just as Spurs said.
The only problem was when I tried to log on to online banking was I couldn't
Without telling me they had decided that my new user name was my passport number

Regards all

John

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Banking Issues
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 07:51. »
The annoying thing is that they have left it until the last minute to request this documentation. If they had started the process when the law was passed, it would have given us ample time to sort things out. I wonder what would have happened had I not been coming down this week.

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Banking Issues
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 11:01. »
Amateurs!!!!!
I've just had my 5th visit to the bank in 10 days!
Problems have been mainly to do with community (business) accounts which I countersign on line.  AsJohn says, they seem to change willy-nilly your log in between NIE & passport now.
Today was unable to access personal account on line.  Yet another tree's worth of paper, & another password change.
Have told them if I have to go back again, I will expect my own desk.
I wonder how many people will have gone to find that the information demanded is already held on record by the bank?
Happy days
Sun is shining, the sea is swimmable temperature, just wish my golf would improve.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Banking Issues
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 12:31. »
Another banking issue!!!!!

Bought quite a few items on the debit card in the last week, tried to pay for a new oven and hob yesterday on the card.....plenty of cash in the bank.....the card was rejected, I had to pay on a UK card.
I went to the bank to find out why, apparently I had gone over my spending limit!!!
On a debit card????
It will take two or three days before the block is lifted #onlyinspain

Regards all

John

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Philndeb

Banking Issues
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 15:35. »
My Spanish account is for paying bills only, anything else I pay cash for via a Nationwide account and get the direct rate. The banking and bill paying system here is in the dark ages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

granalacant

Banking Issues
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 18:52. »
Another banking issue!!!!!

Bought quite a few items on the debit card in the last week, tried to pay for a new oven and hob yesterday on the card.....plenty of cash in the bank.....the card was rejected, I had to pay on a UK card.
I went to the bank to find out why, apparently I had gone over my spending limit!!!
On a debit card????
It will take two or three days before the block is lifted #onlyinspain

Regards all

John

Yes John, you have daily limits in Spain on debit cards - for daily cash use and for buying things. Two different limits. The reason being that you would come crying should someone steal your card, and all your money would be gone.

You signed for those limits (yes you did), and you can change the limits every time you want.

I for example do it when going abroad - I then raise the limits, and when I am back in Spain I bring them down because if I need more money, I can do it in a minute. At least with INGdirect I can.

The system has been in use for at least 2 or 3 decades.

Do you really mean that if you lose your debit cards in the UK, you can lose ALL your money? Only in the UK!

GAMagazine

Banking Issues
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 19:45. »
Think they are checking that you are still alive

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Banking Issues
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 20:30. »
The cards wdnt be any use without a pin!!

Casa De Valen Med II

granalacant

Banking Issues
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 22:27. »
The cards wdnt be any use without a pin!!

of course. And some people write the down. Which of course makes it even more ... problematic.

normally (I know, stupid word) people know what they are going to spend. Or approximately. And see to it that they have the limit that is needed.

Ok, I have 3 accounts with the same bank. On the two where i hold card (both debit, don t want credit cards) I have hardly any money. The money is in the 3rd account. Using my iPad and 3 or 4 control systems, when I need to pay for something, I transfer the money and pay with my card.

The reason: some 30 years ago, in England (you know, where there is no limit on cards etc.) they stole my American Express card and used it to buy some 10,000 euros at the current exchange rate. Or - some 25,000 euros a present value. Without the person having to show his passport, any identification etc. Just a signature which was copied from the back of the card. As my normal signature is about 4 cms high, and the person buying was hmmm black, there was no question it was me. It took me half a year to get the money back on my account.

Now go to your bank and tell them THAT is the system you want, instead of mine. Post a picture of how they look at you    :-)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Banking Issues
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 07:12. »
The crazy thing is when we've been having work done I've often had €2,500 to €3,500 out of the hole in the wall with no problem......yet spend €2,000 on kitchen units and the like and I've overspent, there's no logic in it to me.........had my card been stolen the top of the tea leaves list is cash, not goods they'd be lucky to get 25% of the value of #mustbeaspanishthing

Regards all

John

granalacant

Banking Issues
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 08:28. »
The crazy thing is when we've been having work done I've often had €2,500 to €3,500 out of the hole in the wall with no problem......yet spend €2,000 on kitchen units and the like and I've overspent, there's no logic in it to me.........had my card been stolen the top of the tea leaves list is cash, not goods they'd be lucky to get 25% of the value of #mustbeaspanishthing

Regards all

John

unless they are in dire need of a new kitchen ...

granalacant

Banking Issues
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 09:34. »
oh and there is another thing you may have heard of and of which card companies are quite afraid of.
The card goes to a pre-arranged merchant, and gets there used to the maximum. The man with the card does not even leave with the goods, he simply gets his commission.

Of course, never happens in the UK or in England....

Incidentally, most of the cash machines have cameras so banks can identify the person making the withdrawal. That is why there is a different limit on cash withdrawals and buying goods. And you may have heard that some gangs install equipment to check the PIN number when you take a cash withdrawal etc. etc. etc. 

Any safety measure is ok with me - might be a bit annoying but as said, this one about the limits has been in for decades. And (as a user) I honestly don' t see why that contract and policy should be changed.  Again, with an iPad or an iPhone you can (at ING) change the limit in a minute or put more cash on the account you have the card with. At ING transfers between accounts are immediate. There have been occasions where I do it just when queuing at Mercadona or El Corte Inglés. It literally takes less than a minute.

I am - in all honesty - wondering what the fuss is about.