Author Topic: Tabarca  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Dottie

Tabarca
« on: June 20, 2019, 20:38. »
We are thinking about a boat trip from Santa Pola to Tabarca. Checked trip advisor and only 2 reviews on both negative. Has anybody visited recently?  Any guidance much appreciated  .

Offline mushte

• Supreme Member
Tabarca
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 22:11. »
The wife and i went a couple of years ago could not wait to leave
 over priced food and drink and poor service
 I under stand its good for swimming and snorkelling
 Mushte

Offline Maricia

Tabarca
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 08:35. »
Worth a trip over but bring your own food / drinks along with plenty of Mozi Guard - full of mosquitoes the day we went.

BW

Maricia

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Tabarca
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 13:57. »
I’ve been several times snorkelling with the guys from Santa Pola, absolutely brilliant, lots of fish and octopus to see, underwater caves to swim into, ship wrecks to see, some really memorable days. You do have to watch out for jelly fish though.
Apart from that it’s naff.
On a hot day the boat ride across is a great way to feel the breeze, but I’d only go if the boat was turning round and coming straight back.
The Mrs and I once had a fish dish, as recommended by the restaurant owner, it wasn’t cheap and it was dire, there’s more flesh on the sticklebacks in our local beck and a darn site less bones!!

Regards all

John
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 13:59. by John H »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Tabarca
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 19:38. »
We've been plenty of times but not in peak time when I'm sure it is busy. We enjoy the walk around the Island, see the church etc and have a sit at the cafes and have a cold drink.

We have had the Menu del DIa several times on Tabarca and it's always been good with excellent paella,yes it's more expensive than mainland as they've got to transport food and staff over but never thought exorbitant.
The beach is not much as very pebbly but the sea is pristine with loads of fish for snorkeling.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Tabarca
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 22:47. »
Heartily agree with John H - A beautiful Island but the restaurants cater to a "captive audience" (like an airport). We first went with friends from Madrid for the "famous fish" (grouper I think) it was awful. The Madrid guys went crazy, and for the first time I have ever witnessed it, demanded the (in)famous pink reclamation slip. We were actually reimbursed for the meal! It was one of the worst meals I have ever eaten in Spain. Slimy and small. Take your own food, enjoy the boat ride and the island ...10/10. Go there hungry? Take a fishing rod and a portable barbecue!

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Tabarca
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 20:28. »
We are doing a overnight on the Island that Alex Polizzi stopped in with the "Spectacular Spain" series -  Hotel Isla Plana

I like it quiet (and it will certainly be that after the last boat has gone) good tip on avoiding the fish John

https://www.hotelislaplana.com/
BeachLife

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Tabarca
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 23:25. »
Have a great time BeachLife, I recall you saying you were going to stay at Escondida, has it changed much following El Tel and Yvettes departure?

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Tabarca
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 08:54. »
We didn't book again John - we did it last year (and it was great) - but the reviews were a bit patchy to say the least since it got taken over. Hence we booked the night in Tabarca and a couple of nights in Albir for our bigger summer break.

BeachLife

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Tabarca
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 17:36. »
Best bit is the boat journey there and back wasn't impressed at all with the island, certainly looks better from the mainland.