Author Topic: Xmas in Spain  (Read 2984 times)

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Xmas in Spain
« on: December 23, 2018, 16:02. »
This xmas the weather has been excellent in GA, on the beach everyday absolutely fantastic. On Friday a day in Alicante, the ice rink was excellent, very popular and good value, the toboggan run needed a visit by elf and safety as looked a speedy route to A&E. The evening spent at Spiga in the old town, illuminations really good all over well done Alicante.
Saturday was the GA centre feliz navidad event, nothing fancy but a nice event with free gifts from papa Noel. Sunday down in Santa Pola marina, the place really buzzing with new bars in the old miramar building doing well, paella lunch washed down with some vino blanco sat at the little fish restaurant by the restored boat, life doesnt get much better.

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Xmas in Spain
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 17:07. »
Sounds perfect. Enjoy the rest of your time.  Would love to do the same one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Xmas in Spain
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 11:59. »
Sounds brilliant
I hope everyone in GA has a wonderful time

Best wishes

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Xmas in Spain
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 10:01. »
So was just wondering - how was Gran Alacant over Xmas. Anyone have any feedback?

Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Maricia

Xmas in Spain
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 11:42. »
Very quiet in GA a few places open and a few people about but generally quiet. A few places did Christmas day dinner and they seemed popular. Weather has been good, especially on the main holidays but overcast and chilly today. Went to Lidl this morning and walked in / out with shopping within minutes.
BW
Maricia

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Xmas in Spain
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 00:12. »
GA was quite odd on Xmas day, whilst there are lots of people living here a bunker mentality seems to exist with nobody out and about. We met some friends early on at Veltsins down at Arenales,to give you some idea how busy it was there was no parking spaces to be had on the main road end to end, a great atmosphere.We then met more friends at Santa Pola again really busy all the bars restaurants down at the marina doing well. We tried a new restaurant i think called Labarca which has been built on the area near where the fishermen dry there nets. Huge dishes of paella being served which looked delicious. Back to GA for our xmas dinner where we met more friends from Elche and went to Maritaos we had a variety meal for 8 persons which costs about 20 euro each, food was gorgeous with great service, a great finish to a super day. We spoke with some neighbours the following day who paid 180 euros for 4 of them without drinks at the belfry, each to there own but seemed pricey to me. Boxing day was lunch on the seafront at Guardamar again all the restaurants doing a roaring trade, then a couple of hours on the beach with the kids playing football.

Offline Maricia

Xmas in Spain
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 08:55. »
We must be in a different Gran Alacant,....................we was also in Arenales on Christmas morning, parked directly outside one of the few restaurants open for a coffee, seen one family in the same place and the odd person jogging / cycling on the front. Yesterday afternoon we went to JYSK in GA centre and Mercadona (no queue) and bizarrely the train was operational but empty.
BW
Maricia

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Xmas in Spain
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 09:39. »
My sister is down at her place in Marbella, apparently very busy in the day time, lots of people about and restaurants busy but on an evening it’s absolutely desolate.
Some friends from GA phoned us on Xmas day and said that it was desolate in GA.....suppose it depends where you go.

Regards all

John

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Xmas in Spain
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 19:09. »
My wife & granddaughter in the sea this morning at Millendreath
(near Looe Cornwall).
If it can be done here, it's got to be warmer in GA.
There were also families on the beach, not swimming mind!
How many down Carabassi?

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Xmas in Spain
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 19:39. »
Pic didn't go.
This is them on the way out

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Xmas in Spain
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 23:24. »
Quite a few went in for one if the annual Christmas Day dips up here in Yorkshire, I refrained

Regards all

John

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Xmas in Spain
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 07:54. »
There were a couple of brave souls in the water at Hillhead on the Solent a couple of days ago.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Xmas in Spain
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 09:57. »
We must be in a different Gran Alacant,....................we was also in Arenales on Christmas morning, parked directly outside one of the few restaurants open for a coffee, seen one family in the same place and the odd person jogging / cycling on the front. Yesterday afternoon we went to JYSK in GA centre and Mercadona (no queue) and bizarrely the train was operational but empty.
BW
Maricia
I can assure you its the same GA just looked at from different perspectives, mine is a traditional spanish outlook where it was all about meeting friends and family, enjoying great food in the winter sunshine which lasted 6 hours most days, im not sure what time you went to Arenales but Veltsins was heaving with no where to park along that whole stretch, i cant comment on what else was open.
The other perspective clearly focuses on what shops are open, and the amount of customers, funnily i was speaking to a staff member in mercadona who was bemused with being constantly asked by non Spanish  whether they were open xmas
 day.

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Xmas in Spain
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 13:42. »
Where is Veltsins or do you mean Vienteseis?  I cant place it

Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Graham H

Xmas in Spain
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 10:30. »
GA was quite odd on Xmas day, whilst there are lots of people living here a bunker mentality seems to exist with nobody out and about. We met some friends early on at Veltsins down at Arenales,to give you some idea how busy it was there was no parking spaces to be had on the main road end to end, a great atmosphere.We then met more friends at Santa Pola again really busy all the bars restaurants down at the marina doing well. We tried a new restaurant i think called Labarca which has been built on the area near where the fishermen dry there nets. Huge dishes of paella being served which looked delicious. Back to GA for our xmas dinner where we met more friends from Elche and went to Maritaos we had a variety meal for 8 persons which costs about 20 euro each, food was gorgeous with great service, a great finish to a super day. We spoke with some neighbours the following day who paid 180 euros for 4 of them without drinks at the belfry, each to there own but seemed pricey to me. Boxing day was lunch on the seafront at Guardamar again all the restaurants doing a roaring trade, then a couple of hours on the beach with the kids playing football.

You get about Wilson. 3 different gaffs and 2 meals on Christmas Day. Hope Santa got you some elasticated waist strides.