Author Topic: Record Car Hire.  (Read 2167 times)

Offline euroland

Record Car Hire.
« on: January 29, 2018, 18:38. »
Beware, I've used Record a few times, never take out the additional insurance because I have my own annual hire car insurance and I've have never had a problem until our last visit. I was over in GA for a long weekend from 19th to 22nd January with my son, we picked the car up from the airport, I took photos of front and one side of the car and my son took photos of the back and other side before we moved the car from the bay. I returned the car went in to the office and the guy asked for the keys and told me to just go. I said no I'd like them to check the car and stamp my hire form no damage. The guy wasn't happy but eventually got an older guy to check the car. After really scrutinising the car the guy said there was damage to the alloy on one wheel, I was told they were taking 100€ to cover damage. My son was outside the office and he came in and asked what the problem was, he said he had a photo of the damaged alloy before we left the bay, he also had a photo showing the car in the bay which matched the details on our hire document. During this conversation I received an email confirming the 100€ damage payment. The guys in the office looked at the photos and refused to accept them, we were told the photo did not have the day on although it did have the date on. They said it had to have the day on also. A younger guy who worked for Record looked at the photos on my sons iPhone and he said his phone was the same and the photos were valid. The original guy in the office then said the damage wasn't on the form so must have been done by one of their staff when parking in the bay and we should have brought the damage to their attention before leaving, he said once he'd issued the email for the 100€ it was very difficult to stop it without a good reason. Anyway eventually he agreed to stop the action to take the 100€. I've been back a week now and no money has been taken but this has really put me off using Record from now on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Record Car Hire.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 19:16. »
I don’t use record anymore not because of this but I don’t feel they give decent cars but charge top rates I had no wheel trims no aerials scrappy looking cars and dirty cars from them in the past so I give them a wide berth now. I think they all try this on now and again I always insist on signing the form to say no damage .  It’s a really shortsighted thing to do as you will not use them again and I’m sure many ready your post won’t , I did here once that the people who work at the car hire firms are in commission for damage reports not sure if that’s true though

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Record Car Hire.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 19:17. »
I’ve ditched insurance4hirecar now and just pay the hire companies extra insurance, I end up paying about €100 a week all in for a car, it’s still cheap and I have no worries, hand the keys back in and walk away.
By the time we’ve landed in the UK they have always emailed me to let me know that they have refunded my unused fuel.
Who wants hassle

Regards all

John   

PS, had some great cars from Record over the last couple of years, none with more than 3000 Kms on the clock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 19:19. by John H »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline euroland

Record Car Hire.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 20:02. »
I’ve ditched insurance4hirecar now and just pay the hire companies extra insurance, I end up paying about €100 a week all in for a car, it’s still cheap and I have no worries, hand the keys back in and walk away.
By the time we’ve landed in the UK they have always emailed me to let me know that they have refunded my unused fuel.
Who wants hassle

Regards all

John   

PS, had some great cars from Record over the last couple of years, none with more than 3000 Kms on the clock

To be honest John I totally agree with you about no worries and hassle. In the summer when our daughter's family join us we always hire through Xtra car hire in Santa Pola, it's full insurance but includes up to three drivers and two child seats for no additional cost. So much easier for myself, daughter and her partner.

When I'm over out if season I usually use Record without the extra insurance and I've never had a problem in the past. I'd not have a problem with paying for damage either if I had been responsible because I'd eventually get it refunded through my insurance.

If I'm going to pay full insurance I'd use Xtra every time, they meet you in the airport by the parking ticket machines so no hanging around and you leave the car in the car park on departure. So simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Record Car Hire.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 18:24. »
Record charged us for damage even when they had stamped the form as inspected and no damage!! Had to use credit card company to reclaim funds. We have been using them for 10 years and they do seem to have for the worse in last year.

I have been checking prices for a few weeks over Easter and their prices are double gold cars so unless they drop nearer the date may have to switch providers

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Record Car Hire.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 18:19. »
I'm the same as John. I just pay their insurance now. Don't particularly need the money and definitely don't need the hassle......or a stressed wife!

Cheers
Davy !!!

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Record Car Hire.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 09:23. »
If your staying near Calle de Monte de Santa Pola you might want to review your decisions re insurance, apparently 8 cars had their wing mirrors twisted off on Saturday night and various parts of trim pulled off.
We share our world with some right tw*ts

Regards all

John

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Record Car Hire.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 23:13. »
I have to say my only experience in recent years was this last week.

I had sold my own car privately so need a hire car to drive up to Javea. As I wasnt sure of the day of pickup I hired for 7 days.

Wanted a onsite collection at the airport - "HolidayAutos" which I always used to use for years came up with Goldcar £87 for a 5 door Polo or similar. They (holidayautos) also sold me a £40 AXA policy to cover the excess which I took out

I then allowed myself to be completely stitched up by the incredibly rude a unhelpful (British) lady who claimed "we dont recognise that policy" it is useless. Leaving me well P*ssed  off. She then told me to have €140 worth of inclusive insurance - which I very, very reluctantly took.

She lied basically - they AXA policy was fine but it was down to me to decline the insurance at the airport and (if) they touched my card for the €1200 they were going to ringfence I could claim it back.

No fool like a old fool (that doesnt read the small print)

No Polo either - a Yaris "rental special" - nice and new but with wind up windows and and a 60PS engine that could hardly get up the GA hills !!

The truth is they are all ripoff's in one way or another - you never pay any where near the price internally researched - Happy to have my own motor again.

BeachLife

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Record Car Hire.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 23:37. »
I had a brilliant Renault Talisman, only 16,000 Km’s on the clock, more kit than a seven a side team, three weeks for €314 from Record excluding the tank full of diesel that was reimbursed, can’t fault it.

Regards all

John

PS that was with Records all inclusive insurance, no money held on the card, car not checked when you return it, stress free car hire

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 23:40. by John H »

Offline JB

Record Car Hire.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 16:47. »
Stayed 6 days over Easter and used Firefly (booked via Do you Spain)... got a bargain at 35 euros full to full, got to desk just before midnight but was 30 min que so was surprised when didn't get 40 euro out of hour charge.

Couldn't justify to myself paying the 120 euros she wanted for the peace of mind insurance so stuck with the icarhire excess annual insurance already have in place.

Was expecting a beaten up banger with multiple bumps that where not recorded that I had to argue about but got a Zafira with no marking to note... when dropped it off the lady at the car park desk wasn't interested looking at it and said im sure its fine and signed my paperwork.

The blocked payment (didn't actually take the payment) I could see was withdrawn within a couple of days.

Think I got lucky again !