Author Topic: Travel Insurance  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Peds and Lol

Travel Insurance
« on: March 29, 2018, 13:06. »
Can anyone please advise. We travel to our home in Grand Alacant several times a year and have always purchased annual travel Insurance. Is this really necessary as we are both under pension age and have our ehic cards? Thanks

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Travel Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 14:26. »
I would always have it   A few years ago a friend of our hurt their back while in Spain the local hospital treated him very well under the EHIC scheme but as it was a long term issue ( it actually carried on for 2 years ) and he could not sit in a plane seat they had to stretcher him into a flight having removed 2 rows of seats.  This repatriation cost over £10k which the insurance company paid the alternative was to stay in Spain receiving treatment for 2 years he was only 42 at the time luckily this has now cleared up ,, so my experience is always have it

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Travel Insurance
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 15:23. »
The Alicante area is well served by decent medical centres and hospitals all of these are freely available with your EHIC card. You dont need extra insurance as youve already paid for these services via the uk. But as stated by Spurs there will occasionally be a situation where additional insurance is required. Its all comes down to personal approach to risk, if you wont miss £300 a year for your years in GA then no brainer, me i can think of better things to spend the money on.
They dont like it up em !

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Travel Insurance
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 16:07. »
I’m with Spurs, if you ever need medical assistance to get home it’s money well spent, for that reason and that reason only we have an annual policy

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Travel Insurance
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 18:16. »
Anyone ever experienced this?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/travel/9960030/Holidaymakers-warned-as-Spain-blocks-EHIC-usage.html

The article is admittedly over 4  years old, but could it still be happening?

Irrespective, I would never travel without insurance protection - it covers a hell of a lot more that emergency healthcare, which is all the EHIC is intended for.

Michael.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
Travel Insurance
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 19:24. »
Our travel insurance is £186 a year for the two of us and I have never used it so that's say £4000 we could have spent on beer but if we ever had a really serious problem (bad fall, head injury etc.) £4000 wouldn't have gone very far getting repatriated and putting it right. However if you ever need serious money you could always crowdfund!

Offline Keith and Jen

Travel Insurance
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 07:55. »
We have a joint Current Account with the Nationwide BS and get 'free' travel insurance.  However we are both aged over 70, so have to pay £40 per year 'age supplement'.

Keith and Jen
Experience is what you get just after you need it.