Author Topic: Car Hire Bargains.  (Read 16776 times)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Car Hire Bargains.
« on: January 16, 2015, 14:13. »
We are flying out tomorow for a couple of weeks, I've just rechecked our car hire price as is now my custom and practise with great results.

We are hiring a Citroen Berlingo class vehicle, need a bit of space for a few jobs I'm doing, its costing me £41.20 plus the tank of fuel and "fueling costs". Bargain!!

One of the best bits of advice I picked up last year was to recheck the hire price, on one booking it saved us over €200

Regards all

John

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Joe1965

Car Hire Bargains.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 23:32. »
Excellent John - enjoy.

But remember not to let them tempt you into an "up-grade" i.e. more petrol needed to fill it up and therefore more costly.

Regards

Joe

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Car Hire Bargains.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 09:04. »
Cheers Joe

I haven't been offered an upgrade for at least 18 months, at one time I was always offered one........I must look hard up!!

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline llamedos

• Galactic Member
Car Hire Bargains.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 16:04. »
Which is the cheapest company at the moment, as I will be renting one for a few weeks at the end of. Feb?.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Car Hire Bargains.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 16:28. »
I've gone with Record llamedos, best deal I found

Regards all

John

Offline Philndeb

Car Hire Bargains.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 16:56. »
I went with record back in October, they seem OK although I booked a focus and got a. Nissan Note, which as it happens was a really good car, with stop start tech and a good fuel consumption, so I didn't bother questioning it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Car Hire Bargains.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 08:20. »
Result!!

Landed at 8.30pm yesterday........no one in the queue at Record, of the three cars in the class I booked the best IMHO is the VW Caddy, which I got!!
Its only got 4500km on the clock and a first for Record, its clean as a whistle
The £41.20 is looking even better value :)

Have a great day

Regards all

John

Offline Joe1965

Car Hire Bargains.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 09:23. »
Way to go John.

Enjoy !

Offline curly131

Car Hire Bargains.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 12:01. »
Hi John
Did you pay the extra insurance, around 7 or 8 Euros a day? I seem to remember you had to either pay for the extra or leave a massive deposit, that was actually taken off your credit card to be refunded within 30 days if there were no problems with the the car on its return. I think there was also a cap on how much you had to pay for the extra insurance. Not out again until April so just looking for an update on Records latest T's & C's.
Regards
Ian

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Car Hire Bargains.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 13:23. »
Hi Ian, on the advice of a few members of The Plaza I took out a policy with http://www.insurance4carhire.com/?refID=2047&subRefID=0&curID=GBP&langID=1&gclid=CP759PvDncMCFUr4wgod9g8AYQ, gives you the cover you need for £40 a year.
They get very good reviews.

Regards all

John

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Car Hire Bargains.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 13:47. »
Hi John,

I took out one of these policies last year and used it to good effect in October with Dickmans, avoiding what would otherwise have been a charge of approx. 70/75 euros. I did have to leave a security deposit of 400 euros, which was charged to the card and did make me a little apprehensive, however on returning the car I made sure that it was inspected and my copy of the agreement signed off as No Damage, approx. 2 weeks later the deposit was back on the card. Of course, being a sterling card, I suffered the usual exchange rate nonsense and lost about £15 but even so I saved money and have since used it again on a car hire in England, saving another £30 approx.

If you have enough car hires in a year, this policy will save you money, but I believe it is very important to have the car checked on return and signed off as ok, to avoid any risk of a company trying to hold onto the deposit, claiming damage to the car.

Michael.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Car Hire Bargains.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 21:38. »
Ive used insurance4car hire for several years,  last year i was stitched like a kipper by Drivalia who i have used several times, we picked up the car late at night in the dark did the paperwork with there usual efficiency,  i didnt think anything of it at the time when the girl asked what excess policy i was using. Anyway 3 weeks later i returned said car, the man was down on his knees meticulously looking at every panel and wheel, ive never seen anything like it in years of renting, on wheel 3 he found a scratch not on the rim but near the centre it measured 12mm or half an inch, he then said "that wasnt there when you took the car " mindful we were catching a plane in 130 minutes and we needed a lift we had a row. He wanted 100 euros for the damage. I knew i had been done when out of the blue he said whats the problem you've got an excess policy. What a shower  of **** , anyway insurance repaid me no issues. And Drivalia  can stick it where the sun doesnt shine.
They dont like it up em !

Offline curly131

Car Hire Bargains.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 10:39. »
Thanks for the info John
As I will only have the car for a week it wil be a toss up whether to take the policey or pay the extra or just leave the deposit and trust there will be no problems when i return it.
Ian

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Car Hire Bargains.
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 12:02. »
Without wishing to tempt fate I have never had an issue with leaving a deposit and I have been using email car hire (Record) for over 10 years, at least 3 times a year.  They have taken my card details but the deposit has never been debited from my account as I have never had any problems with the cars.
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Car Hire Bargains.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 22:40. »
Hi all just joined the new forum after many years on the GA plaza

Glad to see you are still saving money on the car hire John did it again myself last week got it down from €80 to €29 in 2 Weeks

Another great result I always use centauro