Author Topic: Just To Say Adios  (Read 2510 times)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Just To Say Adios
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:56. »
For three years I have tried to help others by answering their questions and queries on this forum and have tried to generate interest and discussion by creating new posts. I have also done my best to moderate the forum to keep in lines with the rules we set.
Last night I received a message from a member, who quoted other members names, saying that I "looked with distaste" at other members who did not post regularly and that I was part of the "old boys/girls" who seemed to rule the forum, I could go on, but apparently this behaviour is the reason why people don't want to post on this forum for fear of being "ridiculed".
My initial reaction was to say "grow a pair", because in all honesty this reaction is one that has taken me completely by surprise and I will add if members conduct on this forum does dictate if you contribute or not you do indeed need to grow a pair, in my opinion it is a well mannered well run forum, although I would say that wouldn't I!!
In the hope of breathing some new life and increased participation in the forum I have decided to no longer post on the forum in the hope that those who feel unable to post will now do so.

Best wishes and regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline petercs

Just To Say Adios
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 13:29. »
John

It would be interesting to know the name of the member who has now caused perhaps the most helpful and can I say one of the most informed people who have posted on this forum over the years.
Yes, I have been a member for over 10 years and rarely post. Nevertheless John has personally advised me about the refurbishment of a kitchen, advice which led to work beIng carried out.

Come on people, get behind John and try to get him to change his mind. Do not let small minded stirers win. if John goes others will surely follow

Peter

Offline lesandtony

Just To Say Adios
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 13:30. »
For three years I have tried to help others by answering their questions and queries on this forum and have tried to generate interest and discussion by creating new posts. I have also done my best to moderate the forum to keep in lines with the rules we set.
Last night I received a message from a member, who quoted other members names, saying that I "looked with distaste" at other members who did not post regularly and that I was part of the "old boys/girls" who seemed to rule the forum, I could go on, but apparently this behaviour is the reason why people don't want to post on this forum for fear of being "ridiculed".
My initial reaction was to say "grow a pair", because in all honesty this reaction is one that has taken me completely by surprise and I will add if members conduct on this forum does dictate if you contribute or not you do indeed need to grow a pair, in my opinion it is a well mannered well run forum, although I would say that wouldn't I!!
In the hope of breathing some new life and increased participation in the forum I have decided to no longer post on the forum in the hope that those who feel unable to post will now do so.

Best wishes and regards all

John
We will just have to share our knowledge personally John.  And sod em

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Offline JB

Just To Say Adios
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 13:38. »
This is such a shame to read as you are probably person that keeps this actually going with regular posts so can only see this forum going one way !

I have found this forum a great (probably only real way) of finding out whats currently going on over in GA.

Offline Lolabunny

Just To Say Adios
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 13:45. »
I absolutely hate it when people verbally attack someone, quoting other people’s support as validation for being abusive!!!  Whoever it was that contacted John, should do the right thing and declare who they are and who the so-called supporters are. To my knowledge I have never met John, but through the forum have found him to be very helpful to each and everyone of us.  It is this awful behaviour that stops people from being involved in the forum, and not John, and so an apology to him I think is called for. 

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 13:54. »
Agree totally with both posts.  Have been to some great restaurants thanks to Johns recommendations.  I have been using the forum from back in the day (14 years) and it could get really aggressive so I think Johns input as moderator is much needed. We already lost Luton in the same way and I always thought him very helpful - maybe I dont take it seriously enough!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 14:25. »
So, the author of the note should man (or woman) up and get on here for a fair debate. This is daft, if there is ever a need for a great forum with the changes that might come to us in the coming years (Brexit, health and pension services) and the continued evolution of the Gran Alacant - its now !

Haven’t met John personally myself but if Johns being criticised for his contribution style then I am also in the wrong camp - what do you want ? Mepossum back ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BeachLife

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 14:43. »
Totally agree with the other posts John has been a mine of useful information over the years and will be a sad loss to the forum

Whoever you are sent him that message own up go public

John please reconsider don’t let trolls win

Offline Andy L

Just To Say Adios
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 14:46. »
I have found the forum to be very helpful over the years, although like some others I don't contribute too much.
It would be a big loss if John did leave, hopefully he will change his mind.   

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 15:13. »
Always value John's restaurant reviews for starters, and hope he changes his mind!

Offline David D

• Supreme Member
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 15:19. »
I also hope John changes his mind,always very helpful with his knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Michael

Just To Say Adios
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 15:21. »
I've never met John either, but I'm part of the long queue of people who have benefited immensely over an extended period of time from his knowledge of Spain in general and GA in particular.  The job of a moderator is a thankless task, but John does it well and has kept this forum going when many of us have been slow to post and that has hugely benefited irregular contributors like myself.  Don't stop posting John - whoever approached you yesterday does not represent all of us!

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 15:31. »
Hi. I left this forum two years ago because of an attempt by John to limit (censor) views that did not correspond with his. I often have looked at what members had posted since I left. I noticed with some amusement that other long standing members also left for similar reasons. Like Barry and Victor. In my view all posts should be made within the rules but during debate different views will emerge.  I wonder if this is reverse physiology  at work. For example you were really great please don't  go.  It will be interesting if this post is allow to stand I do hope so.
Derek

Offline cathk7@hotmail.com

Just To Say Adios
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 15:48. »
Hi John please stayyou are a mine of information,I have used some of it you will be missed by many people.

Online Admin

• Administrator
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 16:42. »
Thanks John for all your input over the years. I feel the same ... to keep this Forum going under these circumstances is a bit soul destroying. What most people don't understand is that it has cost me personally  a lot of money to keep it going and if I have to close it then so be it. I would love to keep it going but I think the end is nigh !

Les Bounds. (Admin)