Author Topic: What is the best application for TV in Gran Alacant  (Read 22761 times)

Offline Grandmarlarkin

We are currently with Gran Alacant TV and a little disappointed with the cost and too few channels.Can anyone advise the best way to go ?.

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
What is the best application for TV in Gran Alacant
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 15:17. »
Hi - How many channels do you get?

Offline Grandmarlarkin

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 15:41. »
We get BBC1 BBC2 ITV CHANEL 4+1 and BBCnews

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 15:43. »
This is something I am also looking at doing as I am with GATV and the cost is not worth the channels now there are a few options I can see

1 get a 1.1 metre dish put up will give you most of free sat U.K. Channels cost about €250 euros pros no more payments cons some channels fluctuate particularly in wind , dish looks horrid , satellites may move again as happened once before leaving it useless although this could be 10 years away

2 use an iPad PCs etc connected to tv over broadband with something like film on again access to most uk channels pros free if you have broadband cons again not guaranteed long term but works now tried it last week. Also if using iPad etc you may need a special lead to connect and it's a pain to change channels and you can't use PCs while to on.

3 get a dedicated TV over the Internet box , there are a few of these in GA now and you purchase a jail broken one for about €100 you will need to ask around about who sells them. Pros free and free access to premium channels ie sport and movies etc also can be taken to uk where it will have ability to watch 3pm sat football live cons may have adult channels unlocked , at some point sky etc will get them closed down but this could take years

4 GATV

5 Grannet fibre you community may have a 2.5 meter dish that can be accessed by a free sat box ask in Grannet

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 16:18. »
We got a box from Diginova.  I'm not sure what it cost. We have a satellite dish that we share with our urbanisation as its massive (was on our roof when we bought the apt).   We get loads of channels. Not sky sports/movies but sky news and more than enough other channels for us. Also we can plug a USB in - not an Amazon stick I dont think (haven't tried), but we put films on a usb to bring over in the summer.  I do know it was a one off payment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 18:09. »
Grandmalarkin, you might need a "retune", I get a lot more than that, although most of them are rubbish!!
I retuned ours a few weeks ago, there's about 20 tv channels and about the same number of radio channels, although as long as I've got Radio 2 I'm quite happy.

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline kh511

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 20:33. »
we have just moved here and are with grannet cant knock them they even came a day early to install everything very good service

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 22:58. »
Over the years so many tv systems have come and gone remember the mesh squarial. Anyway we installed over 12 years ago a 1.9m satellite dish with a redundant sky receiver bought over in hand luggage this system has provided free tv ever since irrespective of astra realignment which effects small dishes the 1.9 picks up on the fringe of the uk footprint, you even get all the different regional stations from cornwall to Scotland if seeing local news is your thing. Were now on sky plus with all the channels you get in the uk, the only downside is the dish size fortunately we dont use the roof that much so the dish is floor mounted virtually out of sight.
They dont like it up em !

Offline Chris C

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 23:07. »
Anybody know if the communal dish on the Serenas is capable to picking up freesat. There is a sat socket in my living room and master bedroom

Offline Keith and Jen

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 09:47. »
We don't bother with UK TV when in GA.  We are connected to the urb. feed so can watch the news in Spanish -  great for picking up the lingo. However most Spanish TV is dire.  We sometimes borrow DVDs from the library.  BBC Radio 4 is our way of keeping up with UK affairs and we can use the laptop to watch PMQs on 'http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Commons' if we need a good laugh or shout.

Keith
Experience is what you get just after you need it.

Offline LyndaS

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 19:06. »
If you bring a sky plus box from the uk will it work in GA?

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 19:10. »
It will as long as you have a 1.1 m or larger dish and you have to change some settings in the engineers menu which I think are frequency and polarity ( these auto change back if powered off )

Offline Joe1965

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 19:15. »

Offline Paublo

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 00:12. »
Nothing wrong with Spanish tv. Most new tv's in Spain have a language button on remote and it is possible to default a lot of the programs to English.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 09:22. »
In relation to redundant sky receivers bought over from uk ,several years ago you did have to alter the frequency as it defaults to factory uk setting. Not sure if it coincided with astra satellite change but we now for several years leave it on the uk default setting as the signal received is so strong same as the uk. From what ive read it all comes down to size matters if there's a signal transmitting it can be received,  over many years certain tv installers have sold systems that just about work in the current climate,  any frequency or satellite realignment and they all become scrap overnight.
They dont like it up em !