Author Topic: How cold does it get?  (Read 2562 times)

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
How cold does it get?
« on: February 05, 2018, 20:16. »
Bit of a daft question as I can see the weather reports the same as anyone else.

We're still around 6-8 years away from 'early' retirement, but sitting here in the UK having just been to Dubai for 10 nights and freezing our socks off, i was wondering what the winters are like in GA.
We've been on holiday to Benidorm in January many times, but we've usually walked around in shorts and tee shirts whilst the locals are wearing big coats!
So just how cold does it feel to those who spend the winter there.....and for how long does it last. Is December, January, February unbearable?
When we do get out there, I'm quite prepared to have to pay quite a bit for heating in the winter.

Cheers
Davy !!!

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
How cold does it get?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 20:32. »
It’s bearable on a good day it can be very pleasant but be warned once the sun goes down the temp drops like a stone usually about 1630 . The insulation in the houses is useless so you need decent heating

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
How cold does it get?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 20:43. »
Thanks,
I did wonder whether those new "Eco Houses" are actually any better insulated than the older style. Looking at the way they're built, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference.

I would ideally like gas fired central heating for the winter.

Offline Peter D

How cold does it get?
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 20:49. »
Does anyone know if electric central heating is an option as we do not have gas on 2g.Thanks

Offline NickiH

How cold does it get?
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 21:16. »
I’ve never known it so cold. After having our apartment for 15 years this is the coldest we have ever experienced

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
How cold does it get?
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 21:21. »
To be fair, this current cold spell is Europe wide

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
How cold does it get?
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 21:24. »
After our visit last January Mrs H refused point blank to ever visit again in January or February!!
I thought she was kidding till I fancied booking a cheap flight in January when the forecast was good, I got a no way no how
Her argument is that it might be decent for four or five hours a day but after that it’s uncomfortable.....and if you go out the restaurants and bars are even colder.
See you in March!!

Regards all

John

PS, the electric bill for three weeks last January was over €120 and the house still wasn’t what you’d call warm and those Panasonic Inverters do chuck out some heat.....but it just dissipates through the floor/walls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 21:30. by John H »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Chris C

How cold does it get?
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 22:45. »
New Year was gorgeous, very warm by day and not that cold on a night. Some days 25 degrees

Offline Potter14

How cold does it get?
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 23:25. »
Yes it gets cold but been fortunate we have Gas Central heating so are very comfortable friends have had the latest electric heating radiators and they work and are efficient if sized correctly.

Offline Peds and Lol

How cold does it get?
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 06:32. »
We bought a calor gas heater and with the curtains closed at the bottom of the stairs ( we are in the pink houses near Centro commercial) it can be very cosy with a few candles and a bottle of vino. They are very cheap to run bought it from euronics and buy gas from dialprix.

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
How cold does it get?
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 08:13. »
It was pretty miserable Friday cold and wet - but to me that is not unusual for this time of the year. December and early into the new year is often very settled and mild. Tends to be the coldest and worst weather end of Jan though Feb int early march and then it settles again.

Anyway - enjoy my new screen saver taken on Saturday morning after a great breakfast at La Cesta
BeachLife

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
How cold does it get?
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 08:25. »
Re the eco houses, I never saw any insulation involved in the building of them.

Offline Chris C

How cold does it get?
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 08:37. »
How come flights are so expensive in Feb / March when it’s so cold. Talking £200 return from most uk airports don’t get it

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
How cold does it get?
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 09:11. »
Half term ? - drops off again then

BHX / ALC Mon 26th Feb to Weds 7th March is £79 (source Skyscanner)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:16. by BeachLife »
BeachLife

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
How cold does it get?
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 09:40. »
We are coming over on Thursday £55 return with Ryanair.  We are painting the kitchen so not too worried about the weather but would like to see a blue sky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II