Author Topic: Hospitals  (Read 3127 times)

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Hospitals
« on: July 09, 2015, 00:32. »
I broke my toe this afternoon, OUCH.
Lesson learned - Santa Pola Urgencias does NOT have an X-Ray machine.
When going to A & E (Urgencias) in Elche, be prepared for a VERY long wait.
Always had a high regard for the health service here, having experienced my son-in-laws diagnosis, treatment, but sadly death from cancer 5 years ago in Valencia.  This opinion has been destroyed by tonight's escapade.
A & E departments the world over are by their very nature fraught.  I was pleased that, unlike UK, staff were not abused verbally or physically, but the standard of professionalism in my treatment, the overall hygiene, & the time involved left a lot to be desired.
Somewhat disillusioned Hoppalong Classify,
Or, if I can borrow a parrot Long John Silver

Offline Sheila

Hospitals
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:28. »
I took my friend there 5 years ago she broke her patella ouch ouch, we were kept in a corridor for hours she needed the toilet they gave me a bed pan as my friend was not aloud off the bed I had to ask for a screen to stop everyone from seeing my friend peeing. I then had to look for somewhere to empy it !!!. They strapped her leg up from hip to ancle and said insurance? Then they started to speak English , so not much has changed in Elch hospital .. I hope I never have to go there I am a non resident .

Offline Lolabunny

Hospitals
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 21:43. »
Having read the above two posts, I have to completely disagree with our local hospital services! Very recently my husband saw the NHS GP in Gran Alacant with a hip problem. An appointment was made for an X-ray that same day at Santa Pola X-ray department, which is situated next to the urgencies department. Excellent service!!
We have both received in-patient treatment in the cancer and coronary wards of Elche hospital. We have nothing but respect for the professional way we were treated by all levels of staff, who tried their utmost to speak to us in English. The rooms were thoroughly cleaned every day together with changes of all linen. The emergency department in Elche is very busy, but you turn up there as we did as an emergency and you could not better the care.
I have spent time in the privately owned Medimar hospital in Alicante and can say that given the choice, I would choose Elche, without any doubt.
I appreciate that we are all entitled to our opinion, but I want people to know the above, and not feel uncomfortable if they have to visit this very fine hospital service. 🏥

Offline Linda Berry

Hospitals
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 22:44. »
I must agree with Dorene, my husband was unfortunate enough to become seriously ill 5 years ago, and was rushed to Elche Hospital. Their prognosis, treatment and care was exemplary. We too are non residents, but received wonderful care. I cannot praise the staff highly enough. Each individual case is obviously different but praise where praise is due. Thank you.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Hospitals
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 22:53. »
And another singing their praise.
Whilst out one evening an elderly friend collapsed and was rushed to Elche, we thought we had lost him.
The care he received was exemplary and saved his life.
Neighbours who suffered heart attacks, broken ribs from falling down stairs etc etc have all been full of praise for the quality of care they have received
I know I would have no fear of falling ill in GA

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline bertdove

• Galactic Member
Hospitals
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 23:12. »
Absolutely agree, John.  The staff at Elche literally saved my life when private medicine in the UK had failed me for years.

Bert

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Hospitals
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 08:04. »
A friend of mine broke both his arms in a fall, we spent the day at Elche, yes it is busy but they sorted him out and even faxed his notes and xrays back to his doctors in the uk as he leaving days later. Where is the NHS Gp in Gran alacant
They dont like it up em !

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Hospitals
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 09:08. »
Add me to the list. My wife and I have received superb care from beginning to end, ie from the office here in GA, to Santa Pola hospital (A&E...don't ask!), to Elche hospital itself. Even the building is nice. Plus we go armed with our Rosa for translation. To be honest she's more like a friend and a personal assistant than just a translator. She knows everyone there and just "gets it done". My wife's cataract surgery would have been cancelled if she wasn't on hand (paperwork foul up), in fact she had it brought forward! I cannot sing her praises high enough. Do yourselves a favour and call her on 646141903 ! Between her and Eric the Air Con man, I will always advertise! haha