Author Topic: Electric Bills  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Shash

Electric Bills
« on: January 11, 2018, 10:18. »
Hi. We've had our Masa new build villa for 2 years now and every time the Iberdrola electricity bill arrives, I wince at the cost. Could someone give me an idea of average costs a month for electricity for a 3 bed new build? When we are not there the only electric items that are running are the pool filter, the small fridge, the Verisure alarm and the router for the internet. Help!

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Electric Bills
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:36. »
Our standing charges are around €27 a month, that’s with zero power consumption
We don’t have a pool, in the winter months our bills around €110 a month, we use the aircon as heating, rest of the year around €70 a month.
We have recently switched to the Iberdrola night day tariff, that’ll shave a few euros off the bills

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Shash

Electric Bills
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:30. »
Thanks John H. That's pretty much what we are paying too, so I guess I'm not also paying for the neighbours electric too! I think I will contact Iberdrola too and go onto their night tariff, as I think that will also save us a few pennies. Thanks, you've put my mind at rest!

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Electric Bills
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 12:35. »
Pleasure Shash

Regards all

John

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline gunner

Electric Bills
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 15:31. »
Electric bills are a joke in spain. Like more and more things in Spain have gone up 10 fold in the last 5 years.

Offline llamedos

• Galactic Member
Electric Bills
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 16:34. »
My bills are between €60-70 a month, slightly more in summer as we have many visitors who use hair straighteners!, I've just started using the ac in the bedrooms so will expect an increase.
Still at least we don't have a gas bill as well.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 16:36. by llamedos »

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Electric Bills
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 18:44. »
December bill €234 for 31 days :( >:( 

Family over for 10 days with small baby so no economising.

We are on the day / night tariff which is OK in summer for the AC at night but it works against you in the winter when you need the heat in the day / evening. Most bills in summer are around the €40 mark.

Dave

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Electric Bills
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 19:52. »
I think the pool filter/pump is the culprit, standing charges are expensive in Spain too.

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Electric Bills
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 20:05. »
Why are there not more solar panels in use in Spain?
It seems quite sunny out there after all.  ;D
Dare I suggest that 'they' don't want it as it'll impact on the extortionate amount they charge for electricity?

Always wondered.

Cheers
Davy !!!

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Electric Bills
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 20:58. »
I think I’m correct in saying that solar panels have been compulsory on all new builds for several years now.
I think Spain rates very highly in terms of low carbon production of electricity, some of the “wind farms” we see on our travels dwarf anything you see in the Uk, we’ve also been in areas where there are field upon field of solar panels.....probably all this investment in green energy production that’s put the price so high relative to the UK, in which case I’ll excuse the higher bills

Regards all

John

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Electric Bills
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 21:10. »
Out of interest I just looked up a smallish swimming pool pump / filter it has a power consumption of 380 watts, left on 24 hours a day this will use about how10kw hours of electricity, say electricity in Spain is 20 cents per kilowatt hour that means the pump will cost €2 a day to run or €60 a month, painful to say the least, a big pump would bankrupt you.

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Electric Bills
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 09:00. »
Lot to be said for a communal pool. Someone else has all the maintenance hassle.

Offline Michael

Electric Bills
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 10:53. »
This is a really interesting article which gives a good overview of the electricity market in Spain (past and present)!

http://www.abacoadvisers.com/spain-explained/life-in-spain/news/rise-and-fall-solar-energy-in-spain

Offline mikehoward

Electric Bills
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 10:57. »
Hi, glad we stuck to the lower tariff and gas for cooking, and heating in the living room, bedrooms we use electric. Our bill last year was €409, we are in the house for about 6 months (one month in winter).

Offline Shash

Electric Bills
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 11:54. »
Out of interest I just looked up a smallish swimming pool pump / filter it has a power consumption of 380 watts, left on 24 hours a day this will use about how10kw hours of electricity, say electricity in Spain is 20 cents per kilowatt hour that means the pump will cost €2 a day to run or €60 a month, painful to say the least, a big pump would bankrupt you.

Thanks kevinb! I think you've explained why our bills are what they are. The pool pump is running 365 days a year, regardless of us being there or not. Luckily our hot water is solar, so that is "free" at least!