Author Topic: Fridges  (Read 1629 times)

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Fridges
« on: November 09, 2017, 09:47. »
Replaced our fridge last year in GA, we bought a Beko fridge/freezer, its got a small black label inside that shows OK when the temperature is right, I noticed in June this year that it wasn't showing OK and despite turning the thermostat to the coldest setting the fridge was only maintaining 8°C, from what I read on an article in UK White Goods Spares fridges can't cope with high room temperature in the UK fridges won't cool properly at 30° and above , Spanish fridges 38° but this appears optimistic. The problem is that the heat exchanger on the fridge back can't dissipate the heat so the compressor can run continuously leading to failure. I found that milk stored in the door of the fridge was going off as the temperature here is higher than deeper in the fridge. Not much can be done about this but its probably something to be aware of.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Fridges
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 09:57. »
Surprised at that Kevin as Beko products seem to get good reviews
The only white goods from those “installed” by the builder that we still have is a Fagor Fridge Freezer, I doubt if it was an expensive one, but 13 years on still working perfectly, whereas the dishwasher and washing machine of the same brand expired years ago.
Thanks for the pointer

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Fridges
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:10. »
Very timely for me I’m about to get a new fridge the old ones done 10 years and is showing it’s age any recommendations I heard the euronics are good

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Fridges
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 10:21. »
I probably had the same temperature issue with the old fridge but never checked it, it was only the little OK label that made me look closely at it. On another note, at home the freezer door seal has failed, perished, the fridge/freezer is a Liebherr twin compressor, just received the new seal kit, it was a total of £120 !!

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Fridges
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 10:22. »
Got my Beko from Euronics in the GA centre, was delivered within a couple of hours.

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Fridges
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 13:28. »
Remember many years ago, a Which review stated average life of fridge/freezes to be 17 years.  These posting suggest to the contrary.  Ours has been replaced, but only cos our son wrecked the old one!

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Fridges
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 14:42. »
I am buying a new one next year for our apartment.  I want one that is same size fridge/freezer rather than the smaller freezer on top.  Will be looking in euronics but would be interested in recommendations. Mine has started to ice up at the back of the fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Fridges
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 21:31. »
If fridges or freezers ice up excessively its normally because either the drain in the fridge is blocked or the door seals are leaking moisture laden air in.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Fridges
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 21:36. »
I have noticed that some people who have had their galleria glazed in put their fridge freezers in that location, with the sun overhead and the kitchen door shut temperature can hit 40°C , these temperatures will drastically reduce the life of the compressor.

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Fridges
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 23:25. »
Hi puddy-woo,

We replaced ours that was still working perfectly after 15 years having never been switched off. We needed a fridge freezer rather than a fridge with a freezer on top.

Got ours from Media Markt in Alicante, lots of choice, quick delivery and removal of old unit. Make sure you get one that is hinged the way that you need it; i.e. left hand or right hand opening. In the UK you can opposite hinge the door yourself, not in Spain apparently as it can invalidate the guarantee.

Dave

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Fridges
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 00:47. »
Thanks Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Fridges
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 07:19. »
When I bought our new Beko in GA I had to change the door opening side,  was quite fiddly, didn't realise that it could invalidate the guarantee.

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Fridges
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 12:55. »
Our's was a Bosch and the last one in store and we couldn't wait for new stock. During the sale I mentioned that I would have to rehang the door; that's when I was told it would invalidate the guarantee. We had to arrange in store for a Bosch technician to come and do it (30€) which he did a couple of days later. Glad we did because it took him 20 minutes and he knew what he was doing. He left us a receipt to keep with the guarantee.

Not sure if it applies to all brands but better safe than sorry.

Dave

Offline masmu

Fridges
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 12:58. »
We bought our last 'under bench' freezer from Euronics at the Commercial Centre.  Excellent service as usual - the delivery guys actually changed the door so that it opened the other way.

When we ordered it they apologised that they wouldn't be able to deliver it for an hour! In the UK they're more likely to say 'can't deliver till Tuesday - can't say which Tuesday'!

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
Fridges
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 13:02. »
We too bought from Euronics and yes - same day delivery is part of the service. We once had to say 'We're going out - can you deliver tomorrow?' and they almost seemed put out. :-)