Author Topic: Catalonia  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Catalonia
« on: October 28, 2017, 18:02. »
Anyone got any thoughts on the situation in Catalonia and how it may affect us in future I was reading yesterday that many other regions In Spain have similar aspirations to be independent and are looking at the ongoing situation.
My thoughts are this will not blow over even if Madrid has taken back control

Offline Chris C

Catalonia
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 19:26. »
It is definatly not a good thing! Having read up a bit on the Civil War I think the feelings of the Catalans run very deep about being totally indipendant. More so than other regions. I cannot see Valencia region looking to break-away anytime soon though, which is a good thing.

Offline llamedos

• Galactic Member
Catalonia
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 19:47. »
I think there's a bit of historical hatred between the governments, as the  Presidents family were pro Franco and the Catalan Presidents family were On the other Side. Sounds lfamiliar somehow

Offline Annette

Catalonia
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 20:10. »
It has been rumbling for years, however considering the very low turnout for the referendum and the fact that the opposition in Catalonia didn't vote in their assembly this week , it will probably just rumble on.
An early election there on 21st December will be interesting.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Catalonia
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 22:28. »
Though not an expert, Spain has not been a happy country for many decades, Valencia has a tough time during the civil war. Franco supported by Hitler committed mass genocide in many cities towns and villages with neighbour fighting neighbour, tens of thousands disappeared after francos victory. Back to 2017 and many spanish still hold anger against the Republic. Spain is a house of cards, if catalonia succeeds the rest may not take much blowing.This must also be the EUs worst nightmare instead of growing the 1 state of europe, others may demand independence.
They dont like it up em !

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Catalonia
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 14:51. »
I remember a TV program saying that Spain has an amazing amount of mass graves, people buried after the mass killings during the civil war, new sites regularly discovered, you don't think about this when you sit peacefully in the sun having a drink what horror Spain went through in relatively modern times.

Offline Phillip

• Supreme Member
  • De cuerdo y loco todos tenemos un poco.
Catalonia
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 16:44. »
Phillip