Author Topic: Christmas  (Read 2877 times)

Offline JB

Christmas
« on: October 23, 2017, 15:06. »
Had to cancel our latest visit this month due to work so contemplating coming for a week over New Year... what is it like then in terms of bars and restaurants being open as we like to visit as many as possible in our visits.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Christmas
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 22:27. »
Im probably not the best to respond, but we stopped several years ago coming over at Christmas and New year. Firstly the weather is not the best with short days. A lot of GA restaurants and bars were shut with very little happening. With the cost of flights, car hire we started going to the Canaries where the weather was generally good with more happening for Christmas,new year celebrations. Things may have improved in GA, no doubt you will get responces of walking on the beach xmas day in shorts with a blue sky.
They dont like it up em !

Offline Brandon

Christmas
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 23:13. »
I think Victor is giving a very balanced view of the Christmas break.
We travelled over for the last 2 years but probably won't this year.
The weather is very hit and miss.
Without the fine weather, the atmosphere is not as good as it should be.
If you are taking time off work, wait until you are guaranteed the weather.
If you are off work anyway, it can be a good break....... if you get the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline julietmorris

Christmas
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 06:39. »
We have spent New Year in GA for the last few years. We have been lucky with the weather, warm enough to eat lunch outside, and walk on the beach.  It is very quiet though as a lot of the GA restaurants are shut. The New Years Eve party in Alicante is great though, and everything was open there.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Christmas
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 09:25. »
It depends on what you want to go for, if you’re still working and want to “escape” thoughts of work and the family for a few days then give it a go.
Tumbleweed will be blowing down the streets, even if the sun is out and the sky is clear it’s still chilly till 11am and in shaded areas and come 4pm it’s chilly again and by 5 it’s dark!!
Sorry if I’m not selling it.
We either stay at home or take a trip down to The Canaries or Madeira

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Christmas
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 09:50. »
Yep agree with others lots of places closed short days winter clothes etc

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Christmas
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 10:35. »
Just at add, the question we ask ourselves is “if we didn’t own a house there would we go”.......in the Winter the answers “no”

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline denandrose

Christmas
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 12:30. »
It's not that bad really dependant on what you want. some English places do a traditional Christmas Lunch, and you can get a good New Years Eve night in GA. Alicante of course is busier.
Some restaurants close for a few days at  Christmas and New Year, Patagonia only closes for a couple of days, La Piedra is usually open most of the holiday, Dragon 2 open every day, La Paletta will be closed December for redecoration but should be open after that. Not sure about Carabassi bars but may be worth checking Tres Besos website. We don't know about Masa square as we rarely go, for reasons stated on other threads, noise, swearing etc etc..Gran Mundo in GA centre is usually open, we've eaten there on New Years Day .
Some Spanish bars are open but with shorter hours .
The weather is as said previously, nippy early morning and at night chilly, but much better than England at that time of year. The houses of course are very cold as there isn't insulation in many, so get the heating going at night.

Offline Andy L

Christmas
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 14:26. »
Had a great New Years Eve in Dragon last year, I think we may of been the only English in there as everyone else was Northern European.

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
Christmas
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 16:29. »
We always go away at Christmas for either a long cruise or stay in a hotel for a few days. This year the hotel in Whitley Bay we wanted to go to was £470 for 5 nights bed and breakfast whereas two return flights from BHX to ALC for three weeks with my favourite Irish airline were £160. So guess where we're going. It'll be our first Christmas over here so we're looking forward to it. Just hope the kids don't decide to fly out and ruin it.

Offline JB

Christmas
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 17:03. »
Thanks for replies & advice .... it wasn't the weather im bothered about but more the restaurants and bars being busy / open as had it back of mind some closed for some of the time.

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
Christmas
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 17:18. »
Just read Norwegian Air have cancelled all flights from Birmingham to Spain from this weekend (Thanks Guy). Michael O'leary must be rubbing his hands together.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Christmas
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 19:06. »
Johns point is valid, if you didnt own in GA would you still go, or spend your time and money elsewhere.Of course the weather is better than the UK buts thats not hard to beat. We have enjoyed the many dec/jan times in GA but there are better places to be to enjoy the xmas spirit.
They dont like it up em !

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Christmas
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 20:34. »
Bl00dy H3ll....Christmas in Whitley Bay?????....well I suppose it is a resort.....a Last Resort!  ;)

We've spent many a January in Benidorm and had good weather. I'd chance Gran Alacant if the house had good heating?
November in Tenerife and January in Dubai this/next year though.

Cheers
Davy !!!

Offline jdr

Christmas
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 22:22. »
Hi All
Having spent many Christmases and new year here as a visitor and resident, we have had some mixed weather indeed several years ago we had rain storms, but it did clear and sun was shining later, but we get out & about walking and we cycle most days. As I sit in GA this evening I did think that all restaurants/Bars were open!!, but I am informed by this site that La Paleta is closed for refurbishment, several do close after the festive season ( Dream Corner & Tutui,s), it also must be pointed out that our Spanish hosts do not celebrate  25th Dec. as Brits do, but they do celebrate the Three Kings 6th Jan. which is a nice time every Brit should see once.  Yes the days are short, but we all know that, my self like many other have been in pool & sea on each day over the festive season. Where will we be for Christmas? Gatesheed!! ( not Whitley Bay where I met my Wife 45 years ago) my wife's mother 87 years old, but she was here last year in La Piedra Christmas day wonderful, as well as there and Webster's for New Year ( La Piedra did a super fireworks display at midnight), but we shall be back here for new year and will enjoy, you can probably guess where!!. We have been MANY places in our working life ( Tobruk, Benghazi, Tripoli Doha, Atyrau, even Aberdeen) where I have seen tumble weed blowing down street but never in GA.

Cheers

Jim
Enjoy the festive season where ever one mat be I do understand like my self it early to talk about, but plans have to be made