Author Topic: The Water in GA don’t taste like what it oughta  (Read 2815 times)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
The Water in GA don’t taste like what it oughta
« on: October 06, 2017, 14:40. »
We’ve put a new filter in The Brita jug and still the water tastes dreadful, even a strong coffee won’t mask the taste and smell.
For the first time in 13 years we are using bottled water to make a brew, that’s how bad it is.
Victor Meldrew moment over

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 14:42. by John H »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 15:19. »
One thing I have noticed about the GA water is that it doesn't dissolve my saccharin tablets completely in coffee like the water in Blighty. I have to crush them in the bottom of the mug first. Apart from that I've always drunk the tap water without complaint.

Offline llamedos

• Galactic Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 10:21. »
I've got a water filter tap now, phone Kev on 633594735 he can fit it for you, great tasting water without having to hump loads of water bottles from Lidl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denandrose

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 12:33. »
We had a water filter system but could no longer get the two filters we needed, so we rang Kev, he came the same day and sorted us out with two pureflo ones that fit our system, we are getting good tasting water now.

Offline Up the iron

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 13:00. »
Denis and Rose give over. I only see you drinking wine, cocktails, G & Ts, Frexinet and copious amounts of lager. See you soon. UTI.

Offline Sookie

• Galactic Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 13:13. »
Have been thinking about getting a water system fitted, can anyone tell me if the filters dry out if not used for periods of time. We don't live out there but are back and forward many times in the year.

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 13:21. »
We had a reverse osmosis water filter fitted about 12 years ago and the filters never dry out as they are not exposed to any air. It operated perfectly whilst we we only over periodically and still gives great service today.

They are initially more expensive than a single or double filter but are well worth the outlay. I used to bring replacement filters from the UK but Leroy Merlin have been selling both the RO units and filters for about 12 months now and the replacement filters are about half the UK price.

Sure beats carrying bottled water.

Dave

Offline denandrose

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 15:32. »
Hey Pete, Up the Iron, you always manage to keep up with us lol  ;D look forward to seeing you soon.

We leave our house in the summer and on returning we always run the water for a little while to clear the filter through.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 18:19. »
I have recently read that the water in our area is one of the worst in Spain and the recommendation is don't even cook with it, it apparently has a very small ecoli content and even chemicals likely to be dangerous for pregnant women. We have after fourteen years stopped using it for coffee making and cleaning teeth after a disastrous stomach problem in June this year, both the wife and I suffered.

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 22:49. »
Can you point me at that article please - e-Coli ? Jeez !

I have recently read that the water in our area is one of the worst in Spain and the recommendation is don't even cook with it, it apparently has a very small ecoli content and even chemicals likely to be dangerous for pregnant women. We have after fourteen years stopped using it for coffee making and cleaning teeth after a disastrous stomach problem in June this year, both the wife and I suffered.
BeachLife

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 07:53. »
I found part of the info at www.expatica.com/es the rest I am still trying to find again.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 07:56. »
Also www.isthewatersafetodrink.com  type Alicante in the search box.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 08:01. »
One problem with tap water on communities is that they often have a huge storage tank often underground by the swimming pool which is used to cope with a lot of houses on a small supply pipe, an electric pump then provides the supply to the houses, trouble is you have no idea what microbes could be living in the tank.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 09:16. »
What kevinb describes above is exactly what happens on our community.
I found out a couple of years after we bought the house when one day we had no water, Iberdrola had cut the electric supply to the pump as the administrator hadn’t paid the electric bill!!
Ours is a massive stainless steel tank, with an inspection hatch in the top, looks like something you’d expect to see in a winery

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 14:48. »
One problem with tap water on communities is that they often have a huge storage tank often underground by the swimming pool which is used to cope with a lot of houses on a small supply pipe, an electric pump then provides the supply to the houses, trouble is you have no idea what microbes could be living in the tank.
Your quite right there kevin, sadly you cant rely on the water being adequately tested either. During the summer we had a few water quality issues in the communal pool, i contacted the administration with my concerns, they responded with the typical " the pool maintenance company undertake daily quality checks to ensure blah blah" i asked for the data reading for
the previous weeks, its now November and still no sign. Coincidentally the pool had a good clean with all filters running at full speed with crystal clear water within days of my complaint. The storage tank is adjacent so clearly nothing is done until someone complains, our tap water frequently has that stagnant aroma, hence bottled water for us.
They dont like it up em !