Author Topic: PARAGLIDERS' LANDING/TAKE OFF SITE UNDER THREAT!  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Mirador

PARAGLIDERS' LANDING/TAKE OFF SITE UNDER THREAT!
« on: September 20, 2017, 14:09. »
Hi everyone! This is my first post on the forum... Many of you will be aware of the new walkway for the paragliders up at the top next to the Olivo De Oro/Brisas Del Faro Community. But how many of you are aware of the fact that a new wall is under construction which will reduce the paragliders' site by more than half?  This has been instigated by the President & Board of the  Olivo De Oro/Brisas Del Faro Community who own that particular area of land. Their aim is to separate community land from public land mainly because they have a personal grudge against the paragliders.
You may well be surprised to learn that my husband & I have owned a house within the  Olivo De Oro/Brisas Del Faro Community for over 10 years and we, along with many other owners are totally against such an unnecessary action. On the contrary, we are aware that paragliding has been practised on that site for almost 30 years. As, like many of you, we love to watch them soaring across the cliff tops...
It is not known for certain but we stro[/img]ngly suspect that planning permission for the wall has not been given by the Town Hall.  Even if it has been granted, why oh why would the Town Hall approve of this when they have invested so much money in the building of a new walkway for the paragliders? Surely paragliding is one of Santa Pola's/ Gran Alacant's tourist attractions?
If you'd like to see what's happening at the site then take the train!  The nearest stop is at El Faro, stop No 12.
Thank you for taking the time to read this! This photo shows where the wall is to be built! Please feel free to tell your friends... we need your support!

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 08:25. »
Surely as a member of this community and a resudent of Santa Pola it would be quite easy for you to find out the legal position on this proposed build. This wall will be costing a lot of money and as a community member you will be paying your share towards it. I suggest you initially go to the community administrator who should know if and when it was voted on and howit is being financed, next on to Santa pola council to see what ppermissions a d permits are in place.
They dont like it up em !

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:04. »
Like Mirador I love watching the paragliders soaring above my head in GA and I remember the Falconer supplying this site with wonderful views from up above.

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 15:42. »
I hope they stay.  I also love watching and hopefully one day will pluck up the courage to have a go myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 20:55. »
Hi Mirador,

I agree with Victor regarding finding out the legal position; it should be quite easy. Also I would be very concerned about what processes had been followed if I was contributing to a wall that doesn't seem to be serving any viable purpose other than petty spite (although we don't know the other side of the story).

Hi Puddy Woo

Regarding the paragliding; my daughter who is terrified of heights went on a tandem flight last week with Nick of Doyouwanna. As the winds at Santa Pola were not favourable we went to Agost for the flight. Personally I will never voluntarily run off a cliff but both I and my daughter cannot praise Nick enough for his organisation, enthusiasm and professionalism in looking after her before, during and after the flight. If you ever decide to go I would wholeheartedly recommend him.

Dave

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 21:27. »
Playing devils advocate, in respect of the land being used both for private and commercial purposes, does anyone make any form of payment to either the community or the council or received any permission to use this land.
Since owning properties in spain over many years ive seen many arguments over community assets being used by non contributors ie pools, parking, access roads and other facilities. Like Dave says there are 2 sides to all stories and maybe el presidente sees this in a different way.
They dont like it up em !

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 22:17. »
Like Mirador I love watching the paragliders soaring above my head in GA and I remember the Falconer supplying this site with wonderful views from up above.
Since Chris’s , The Falconers, terrible accident on the Cabo he no longer jumps off cliffs!!
He still flies Hawks, Chris has long been an accomplished photographers and a couple of years ago he started using drones for his photography with fantastic results
He returned to GA last year for the first time since selling up, he took some great footage with his drone that I shared on here

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:16. »
Thanks Dave.  I'll try pluck up the courage and give Nick a call (all being well)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II