Author Topic: A Modern Twist On Tapas  (Read 2111 times)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
A Modern Twist On Tapas
« on: January 26, 2017, 16:20. »
We have walked past the Hospes Amerigo in Alicante dozens of times, we have always thought it looked great inside, but never ventured in............our loss.
We went in today, superb surroundings, super efficient very helpful staff and great food!!
We decided to share a few tapas rather than having a menu del dia...........I am so glad we did.
For starters, after some gorgeous herby salted bread we tucked into Iberico Pork with smoked mash and manchego cheese...........a combination made in heaven..........this was followed by chicken satay with straw chips, I could have eaten it three times over..........and then,in my opinion the star dish...........a creamy vegatable rice, it was the best rice dish Ive ever had and Ive had a few...........we ordered the "mixed plate" desert.............an apple tart..........a chocolate fondant.......vanilla ice cream...........a turron mouse with fried pastry chards........the rioja that washed it all down was brill.

It was all top quality and somewhere we will be revisiting.

Regards all

John
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 18:15. by John Hannon »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
A Modern Twist On Tapas
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 16:38. »
Is that the 5 star Hotel Hospes Amérigo, John?  - I presume it is, food certainly looks the part but does it carry 5 star pricing?
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
A Modern Twist On Tapas
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 16:50. »
It is Michael........with the tip I left €55 which we thought for the quality of what we had was fair
The menu del dia was €18 a head.
They have me a brochure with details of the other hotels in the chain...........theres only 6 or 7, the one in Majorca looks superb, I immediately recognised it from that superb series on TV last year, The Night Manager.
The Amerigo has a great looking roof top terrace bar with super views over Santa Barbara, one worth trying on a warmer evening  :)

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
A Modern Twist On Tapas
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 17:24. »
We stayed there as a treat for my birthday one year. The breakfast was spot on as well x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
A Modern Twist On Tapas
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 17:32. »
John friends of ours stay at the hotel every year for a special long weekend in April, its there only visit to spain, fly into alc taxi into the city and 3 nights of luxury. Apparently the staff treat guests like visiting royalty.
They dont like it up em !

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
A Modern Twist On Tapas
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 17:48. »
Hi Victor, Ive got to say from the moment we walked in to the second we walked out the staff were absolutely superb, some of the best staff we have encountered in Spain.........and we were only in for lunch!!

Ive just been looking at their hotel in Mallorca on Trip Advisor, the one thing that shouts out from the reviews is the excellent level of customer service.........its on the list for a week away in 2018  :)

Regards all

John

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
A Modern Twist On Tapas
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 19:58. »
Thanks John, definitely one to try for a treat next time :-)
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline NickiH

A Modern Twist On Tapas
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 07:26. »
We have stayed there too a couple of years ago and it was excellent. We even got a glass of Cava whilst we were checking in !  The Tapas bar used to be a little different and we have eaten there three times. About 50 Eurostar for two but the quality was spot on. Will definitely try it again soon