Author Topic: Moving to gran alacant and new business!  (Read 15853 times)

Offline Navantospain

Moving to gran alacant and new business!
« on: June 11, 2016, 12:59. »
Hello all
So delighted I found this! We are a young Irish family 2 boys 9 and 6, we plan to move to the area after the summer to run an Irish bar over there currently for sale, going over next weekend to finalise the purchase of the business! Firstly!! Are we Mad to do this!! Is the area a good spot for tourism all year along or just summer season?! Plus a mammy question my 2 boys I'm desperately worried about the school situation, my boys haven't any Spanish and my 9 year old boy has some learning and behaviour difficultys, he has the aid of a special needs assistant in school here and I'm just worried that Spanish schools work differently, has anyone any experience that might put my mind at ease,

Offline kh511

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 15:20. »
We moved out 3 weeks ago. I wouldn't say you were mad it's a great life for the kids what bar is it your taking over

Offline Alicante Holiday Villas

• Galactic Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 15:22. »
I would imagine O'Duills.

Offline Barry former GA Advertiser

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 15:24. »
You will love living out here. We have been here 14 years. The best ever decision of my life. Keep up with all the local news in the Gran Alacant Advertiser

Offline angieanded

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 15:38. »
i dont think any of that answerd her question really

Offline Navantospain

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 15:50. »
Hey all

Yep the business in question is oduills, looks a lovely spot, coming over next weekend to see it! Anyone know the spot?!!

Just nervous of the move but sooo excited as well, practical things I need advice on like a good hairdresser, clubs for my boys, a good supermarket! Then stuff like finding a long term rental,  and the school!!

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 15:55. »
You are taking on a very good and well used bar. I wish you every success. Did you buy it by the bars advert in the GA Magazine

Offline gunner

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 16:02. »
Hi the moving to Gran alacant is a great thing . The buying of the bar is probably the worst decision you could do(. Be-leave me been there done that ) Im not saying dont buy that bar,its any bar in Ga . The main problem is the turnover has to be so high to make any profit at all. Because you are selling at such a low price E2,50 for a pint E1.50 for a glass of wine. Thats the going rate in GA ,dont think you can put this prices up because no one will  come into the bar. Thats the other problem there are far too many bars in GA. I dont know what you have been told but you will have a 5 month season at the very best to make enough mony to pay your bills for 12 months.( You do the Maths) If you love running a bar and just want to do it because you love that life great. But if you are thinking the bar will pay for yourself and your family to life a nice living in spain dream on. I wish you all the best what ever you do GA is a grate place to live . but earning a living doing any thing in Spain is the bad point.

Offline SteveL

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 16:08. »
We put our 9 year old in the local school, we were able to organise via email mainly. They were very helpful. If you need info then please message me

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 16:16. »
As Gunner you do not put your name to your post, which bar did you own

Offline Navantospain

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 16:25. »
Thanks all,

Gunner no intentions of making any changes to the existing prices or otherwise to the bar we hope to purchase, its 14 years trading under the same Irish owner so that says quite a lot for its reputation, we won't be doing anything to sabotage that, I've 20. Years pub trade under my belt and my husband is a very successful business man and at the good old age of 35 we both are retiring to Spain but we are too young to do nothing!

We found this business advertised here in Ireland, on the Irish commercial business sites, didn't know about the GA Mag Barry but will be keeping an eye on it from now on Barry due to other ideas floating around!

Steve I'm going to send u a pm now thank you!

Offline gunner

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 16:26. »
Barry as you well know apart from probably 2 Every bar is for sale on the GA.Lol

Offline gunner

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 16:38. »
As i have said .I wish you the very best of luck in your new adventure. You have chosen a great place to live in Spain. Just a word of caution Its the last 5 to 6 years were the bar trade has fell off the cliff in the GA ,not only there but the whole of Spain. Just a thought BHS WOOLWORTHS COMET  and lots of other business had been going for hundreds of years . Its not the how long have you been going. Its the know when to get out that Matters.   

Offline Peter D

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 17:00. »
Life is too short to have regrets ,if you have the cash to spare then go for it the kids will adapt ,they always do .Do die and think ,I wish we had bought the bar,get it done now.

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 17:05. »
Which bar did you have Gunner?