Author Topic: Gas Central Heating ???  (Read 10868 times)

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« on: April 20, 2016, 20:40. »
I believe that there are some houses in GA which have gas central heating installed and that some areas have had gas pipes laid in the street so that gas central heating can be installed....albeit, it apparantly looks a bit of a scruffy job with pipes visible on the outside of the property.

Does anyone know which specific areas have GCH installed and which have the facility for it?
If I'm buying a house, the wife insists on GCH heating for the winter

Cheers

Davy !!!

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 20:54. »
Gas has been installed across most urbs. As you say often (not always) looks dreadful and makes a mess of the road.

If you are buying just look for the pipe !!

To be honest the mess gas natural made of our streets I'd ban them

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

BeachLife

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 20:58. »
Thanks,
Do you know how much it costs to get the gas connected and a radiator system installed in a 2 or 3 bed-roomed house?
or where I could find this information?

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 10:07. »
Morning Davy, I got three quotes a few weeks ago, one from fenosa, one from a local Spanish company, one from a Dutch guy, I tried to get a quote from an English guy who after the initial contact never got back to me......I've subsequently found that he's not qualified to sign off work in Spain.
For combi boiler,  5 rads of various sizes, two chrome towel rails and fitting the quotes varied from €3100 to €3700
The best quote came from fenosa.
Fenosa are the company doing the gas installation on our community, our "agent" is a guy called Raul who I found to be very professional, I got his number from our administrators
On our community by the way you can only have gas if you are on the exterior of the community, the community has voted on not allowing gas to internal properties
I've got a friend who's a surveyor who had them do the installation, he was very impressed
Here's an email he sent me about them last week;

Hi John,
Hope you are well, I'm into my second week of retirement and enjoying it so far.
Yes we have had central heating fitted by gas natural fenosa. These are my thoughts:--
1. RAUL is a first class guy who is hard working and trust worthy.
2. I initially emailed RAUL a long list of questions which he answered to my satisfaction. These included details of technical specification, costs to vary the standard installation, future running costs and standard charges.
3. The radiators are aluminium manufactured by ferrolli and are very neat. The pipe work is plastic with an aluminium core, and has been neatly installed. The standard boiler offered is manufactured by the Italian company Sime, who have a factory in Wakefield. It is classed as a last generation boiler i.e. non condensating. You cannot fit this type of boiler in the uk as it would not comply with building regulations, but having researched the issue, it is probably adequate for Spain as the workings are simpler and the extra cost for a condensing boiler would have a long pay back time. In addition the system heats up quicker than it would with a condensing boiler.
The bedrooms have thermostatic valves.
4. RAUL did offer an alternative condensating boiler manufactured by Junkers [Bosch], but at extra cost.
5. I went with the Sime boiler as recommended by RAUL, and only time will tell if I have made the correct decision. Back at home I always have a maintenance contract for my boiler, and I will try and have the same in place in Spain.
6. Raul kept me informed throughout the installation with photographs, but we did have an issue with the positioning of the boiler in relation to the window. The plumbers fitted the flue through the window and cutting the glass, this was despite me sending them a drawing indicating that I did not want it there. Whilst we have been here the boiler has been moved.
7. Your quotes are higher, but what type of boiler do they use.
8. I agree that it appears better to deal with one person and RAUL is easy to deal with.

If you have any further questions please ask.
On another subject who do you get your tv and Internet connection from and is it any good.

Kind regards

Hope this helps

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 10:11. by John Hannon »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 20:59. »
Thanks John, That's excellent information.

We 'probably' wouldn't buy a property which either didn't have...or wasn't capable of having, gas central heating.
The wife's mother stayed at her sisters in GA a few weeks back, in February, and she said it was very cold in the house on Polonia, which doesn't have central heating.
The quotes don't seem too bad at all.
I wouldn't expect a Bosch boiler to add a great deal more to the price, but it would be worth finding out.

Once again. many thanks for the info, which I'm sure will be very useful to others too.

Cheers

Davy !!!

Offline Phillip

• Supreme Member
  • De cuerdo y loco todos tenemos un poco.
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 00:14. »
Well done John....
That the best info/answer to any post.... :)
Phillip

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 11:08. »
Thanks guys

Regards all from a warm and sunny Tenerife

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline BGat3

Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 19:30. »
We live on 3.2G close to Rich and Sue.  Gas has been installed next door to us.  We were advised by our neighbours it was to be done despite our Community apparently voting against it the last we understood.   During the Shabby Installation a water valve was damaged in the road causing apparent chaos.  Brian arrived at our property to find we were without water !!!!!!!!.  The broken valve had been snapped off thus severing our water supply.  Rich kindly offered his help together with Mike and several other local people for which we were extremely grateful.  It took days to restore the supply leaving Brian and our friend without a toilet or shower or any other water facilities, only a hose pipe which our other neighbours kindly supplied to fill buckets. The Company denied all responsibility for the damage despite Photographs of their workmen and the flood being supplied. Our Community Administrator had to eventually put things right for us even though he wrote threatening Legal Action against the Installers who refused point blank to accept responsibility and refused to reinstate the broken valve .  Please be aware of the Shoddy Workmanship, Visually Ugly pipes and Clips to the exterior of properties and ensure Permission from the Community is in place.  Good Luck with house hunting, there are some really lovely people in Gran Alacant.

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 20:42. »
Thanks for the warning.
There seems to be a few houses for sale with central heating already fitted....and of course those new style square houses (that everyone seems to love) come with heating as standard.
TBH, I'm a bit surprised that people don't use convector heaters or electric oil filled radiators?...or do they?

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 21:19. »
A lot of urbanisations on GA have mains gas outside there properties, but i haven't really noticed much of an uptake in 5 years since pipes were laid. We've always used oil filled radiators and the aircon inverters which in all fairness has been more than sufficient. Admittedly they're not cheap to run but alongside thousands for central heating and the cost of gas they dont seem a bad option. Also come April they all get put away till next winter.
They dont like it up em !

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 21:42. »
Good point!
As we'll be using the house as a holiday home for about ten years before moving, and as we'll probably only be there at Christmas and Easter during the colder months, it might be stupid to pay for a new system that might be ready for a change when we actually move out there!

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 07:44. »
Like Victor, I've used a couple of oil-filled radiators on castors plus the aircon inverter unit when we've been down during the winter months. We have the gas pipes installed up the front of our property but to be honest, you hardly notice them as they are painted to match the wall colour and they have been installed quite neatly.

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 08:36. »
Definitely leaning towards just using heaters at first, unless of course wor lass gets her wish of one of those brand new houses with the heating already installed!

Offline Barry former GA Advertiser

Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 10:10. »
There will be many months in the year when you do not need the gas heating on. How much will it cost for those months, not to have it on?   i.e. standing charge etc

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Gas Central Heating ???
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 10:47. »
My neighbour has central heating supplied by gas bottles, he has about five bottles daisy chained together with a system that automatically switches full bottles in, has a boiler designed for the different gas, undoubtedly bottle gas is more expensive but as said probably don't need the heating on for that many months, advantage of no gas standing charge.